GLWC Summer '05 Meet & Greet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am tentatively in. Due to tighter vacation policies at work, I won't be there until Saturday afternoon though.

The weekend after this I am booked for North Carolina, so my employer would have a fit with me taking the vacation necessary to go on Friday as well with me only working a two-day workweek when I come back.

I would like someplace with a giant stride type entrace as I want to practice with my stage bottles (that has been a headache this year since I added that one little stage bottle to my gear) and walking in out with doubles and two stages just doesn't seem to happen very easily.

CD_in_Chitown:
I'm only concerned about the date as that is the weekend I can make it to Ohio, don't have any experience in any of the quarries over there and am a primitive camper. Will dive anywhere the group decides is good.

and Ken...

You can find decently priced digs in Seattle's burbs, and the diving is phenomenal. If I could go virtual I'd look at Bellingham though, just a stone's throw from BC.
then cast your vote for Gilboa. :eyebrow:

Sideband:
I hear he was thrown out of the Girl Scouts every time he joined last year, has smelly feet and was once looked at strangely by an old woman. Oh yeah, he also controls the weather.
I vote to let him in.

Joe

he sounds like our kind of guy..

Sideband:
I hear he was thrown out of the Girl Scouts
Brownies

Sideband:
has smelly feet
don't forget the halitosis and lazy eye ...

Sideband:
and was once looked at strangely by an old woman
more times than I care to count ...

Sideband:
Oh yeah, he also controls the weather.
Not guilty there, that's my pops :zap1:

Sideband:
I vote to let him in.
Woohoo! Count me in. I'll bring the warm beer and bread! :dazzler1:

diverbrian:
The weekend after this I am booked for North Carolina, so my employer would have a fit with me taking the vacation necessary to go on Friday as well with me only working a two-day workweek when I come back.

Brian - do you have the calendar messed up? We're talking about having M&G IV on September 23-25. If you can't get there until Sat. afternoon that will have to do, but that's a bit farther out than your North Carolina trip. Your Brockville trip may be another matter.

diverbrian:
I would like someplace with a giant stride type entrace as I want to practice with my stage bottles (that has been a headache this year since I added that one little stage bottle to my gear) and walking in out with doubles and two stages just doesn't seem to happen very easily.

You can practice your giant stride at any of the three quarries in question. You know Gilboa - giant stride off any platform. Whitestar - off the deep end entry / wall. Portage - Just about any entry except the walk-in entry near the front entrance.

Paula

diver_paula:
Brian - do you have the calendar messed up? We're talking about having M&G IV on September 23-25. If you can't get there until Sat. afternoon that will have to do, but that's a bit farther out than your North Carolina trip. Your Brockville trip may be another matter.

You can practice your giant stride at any of the three quarries in question. You know Gilboa - giant stride off any platform. Whitestar - off the deep end entry / wall. Portage - Just about any entry except the walk-in entry near the front entrance.

Paula

Actually, my NC trip got moved due to me being too burnt out from my work schedule to travel and dive in July. It is now Sept. 29-Oct. 3 (counting a day's travel both ways).

I don't need to practice the entry, I just need a place to put the bottles until I get in the water. I currently tie them off to a line on the boat and pick them up in the water. It's easier than having them attached along with double 130's. I still need to get my trim issues worked out by swimming along with them and possibly doing a few gas switches.

diverbrian:
I am tentatively in. Due to tighter vacation policies at work, I won't be there until Saturday afternoon though.

Brian, I think between all of us we can make a handicap entrance for you. Or we could simply put you into a wheel burrow down to the dock then you can roll in. :eyebrow:

diverbrian:
I don't need to practice the entry, I just need a place to put the bottles until I get in the water. I currently tie them off to a line on the boat and pick them up in the water. It's easier than having them attached along with double 130's. I still need to get my trim issues worked out by swimming along with them and possibly doing a few gas switches.

Aaaahhhhh, now I see. :D

Just thought of another plus for Portage over Whitestar.... Portage has a compressor no matter when you are there. Whitestar has air fills on Saturday and Sunday. So if people get there early on Friday and want air fills, Gilboa or Portage would be best.

As for myself, I don't totally care on location. I'll will camp, have camped and plan to camp more times this year at any of the locations. I just know that many of the GLWC members that have been to M&G I, II and III expressed an interest in a new venue they hadn't been to. Portage to be exact.

Other considerations are whether anyone wants to bring their family. Gilboa is really not family friendly - no swimming allowed. Portage has a designated swim area complete with a raft and slide. Whitestar has swimming area and playground equipment although it is on the opposite side of the quarry from diving.

Paula

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom