Glwc Fall M&g

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've camped there. For me, Whitestar is more expensive as I have a season pass for Gilboa. Still, it would be a wash as I doubt that I would need fills there like I do at Gilboa.

I don't like the fact that you have the diving and camping so far away from each other for Meet and Greet purposes. I like just getting out from the dive and being close to the food and people.

Still, I understand the point made. Whitestar charges camping by the spot. Mike charges by the person. The difference would definitely show up for a family of three with the dog. So, the numbers that I am seeing are not far off for either side. For those of us who are single, we don't see a price difference. For someone who wants to bring a family, that is a little different.

2006 prices, for 2 divers, 1 non-diving 1-year-old, and 1 non-diving dog. Three days admission and two nights tent camping:

Gilboa: $168
Portage: $91
White Star: $70 - $80

In your math, you paid twice for camping. Is that two DAYS or two NIGHTS? If he's charging per day, then add another $24 to my $168 figure above.

If Gilboa is still charging $6 per person per day for parking, add $54 to my $168 figure above. We didn't pay for parking last time we were there (They tried to hit us up for $54 to park one car and I told him no way), and drove to the back to drop off gear anyway. He told us "Dropping off gear and coming back doesn't get it."

White Star is either $70 or $80, depending on whether we split the camp site with someone else or not. And it is $10 less than that every time either of us decides not to dive a particular day. White Star is free if you're not diving and not camping.

-Ray

I had a *** moment when I went to Gilboa the first time and was told it was $4 per person per day to park back by the entry points. It's only one car - what does the number of people in it have to do with parking? And if you pay for air fills when you first get there it $7, but wait and pay each time you get a fill and it's $8. What's the logic in that? With it just being two of us and not camping, it's not that big of deal, but you do have a point for families that would be staying over night.

That said, I'll probably drop by to meet some of ya regardless of the quarry that is settled on.

I like White Star too, but there never seems to be as much stuff to look at as Gilboa, or even Portage, have. Gilboa's still probably my preference, I suppose.

I'll vote for Whitestar if it makes it easier financially for others to make it. I don't mind trying something new. I'll be going by myself, so money is not as big an issue with me. All the spots in Ohio will be a drive, but it looks like they can all be done in under 5 hours.

Tiny Bubbles:
2006 prices, for 2 divers, 1 non-diving 1-year-old, and 1 non-diving dog. Three days admission and two nights tent camping:

Gilboa: $168
Portage: $91
White Star: $70 - $80

-Ray

Much as I like the convenience of Gilboa, I have to agree that Ray has a very strong point. How 'bout we split the difference and do Portage this time? It isn't as convenient as Gilboa, but probably more so than White Star.

Missed you at the last couple, Ray!

Ken

Lol...Portage would be AWESOME, especially since I live about two and a half miles from it. That, plus there's great food in Bowling Green, and a couple of good place just to hang out, shoot pool, and grab some drinks.

Reggae Joe:
Lol...Portage would be AWESOME, especially since I live about two and a half miles from it. That, plus there's great food in Bowling Green, and a couple of good place just to hang out, shoot pool, and grab some drinks.

Cool! So we can all stay at your place then? :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom