glue in mask magnifiers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrpat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've had bad luck with the little stick on magnifiers. Not really large enough viewing area and they come loose at inoportune times. Anyone know where to order the larger sized glue on magnifiers? Pro's & Cons with prescription lenses.
Thanks for your experiences-
Mr. Pat

...and they come loose at inopportune times...

I can't speak to whether they are large enough for you, but if they are coming loose it's "user error" in terms of not putting them in correctly. I installed a pair of the $9 Walgreen variety (exactly the same manufacturer/product as the $50 version from dive shops) some 125 dives ago and have not had them come loose or move at all.

These are the type that you simply moisten and press to the mask lens and then just let them dry. When you say "glue in" are you talking about something that uses an actual glue to adhere to the mask?

I can't speak to whether they are large enough for you, but if they are coming loose it's "user error" in terms of not putting them in correctly. I installed a pair of the $9 Walgreen variety (exactly the same manufacturer/product as the $50 version from dive shops) some 125 dives ago and have not had them come loose or move at all.

These are the type that you simply moisten and press to the mask lens and then just let them dry. When you say "glue in" are you talking about something that uses an actual glue to adhere to the mask?

Talk about timing! I just ran across these lenses at Walgreens the other day and told my "optically challenged" dive buddy about them! He hasn't had a chance to get them yet, but plans to look into it.

Any tips you care to share regarding the installation/use?

The Hydro-Optix magnifier instructions mention using an oil-free liquid soap to clean the mask and flexible lens before you squish it down to mount inside your mask. I was surprised how many liquid soaps list some sort of oil in the ingredients but, when I found an oil-free soap, I had no problems sticking the magnifier to my mask for dozens of dives. What I had a problem with was fogging! The mask was always fine but the magnifier fogged no matter what (toothpasted the sucker, used de-fog etc.--no dice). As for "glue-in" I know my instructor used a drop of clear silicone sealant on what looked like the larger round Trident magnifier. Not sure how well this might "clean-up" if you mess up but it did stay stuck in there for him. // ww

How much do you have invested in diving? Get bonded prescription overlays and be done with it all. Nearly any shop can send out for them or you can do it yourself. Example

Good correction will not only let you see what you need to see when you need to see it but you will feel more rested at the end of the dive.

The only downside is that if you are a gear freak it does get in the way of having an assortment of masks.

Pete

I've had bad luck with the little stick on magnifiers. Not really large enough viewing area and they come loose at inoportune times. Anyone know where to order the larger sized glue on magnifiers? Pro's & Cons with prescription lenses.
Thanks for your experiences-
Mr. Pat

Be sure & get your near P.D. correct.........

I got tired of the stick-ons, and did not want to spend $150 on a mask. Found bi-focal lenses (gauge readers) for about $60.

Try this website:

Wintech Snorkeling

I have used their masks down to 200 fsw with no problems.

I have had no problems with the stick on type. I clean the glass surface with toothpaste gently and allow to dry. Then I wipe the glass with isoprpyl alchohol--not rubbing alchohol and then with the warm water with a touch of soap perhaps (Ivory Liquid) I stick it on and it seems to stay. I have to many different masks to have them all cut for prescriptions. Besides, I have never found a mask I like good enough for that. The classic ovals are close, the Mares X Vision is close and that new AL/Technisub Micro Mask looks interesting.

N

My local eye doctor knows diving. He advised me to put in one only, low and left. The gauges are over there, on the hose and wrist. I use a stick-in, and it has stayed there.

Using this causes me some concern, as I don't think a stick-in optic is DIR.

thanks so much -Carlcz

Just a little update for the board. My original hydro optics stayed in place for over 200 dives. They were well worth the money but eventually started moving around on the mask lens. They also were a little small, so I had to twist my head around to read all gauges which was sometimes a bit of a contortion when diving doubles in caves. This time I wanted a larger bifocal lens that would stay put forever.

Thanks for all the responses - this board is fantastic

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom