Glove thickness for Cold Water Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a pair of these: Waterproof G1 5mm 5-Finger Gloves by Waterproof

The first pair of gloves I bought were 5mm Scubapro. They were difficult to put on wet so I used to nick a load of disposable gloves from the petrol station forecourt. If you put them on first, it is easy to get the gloves on.

When I did the rescue diver course, I was the first to arrive at the dive site. It was freezing cold day in November so I went in the shop to keep warm. I saw the Waterproof gloves, liked the feel of them and bought them. They are great! They are far more supple than the Scubapro gloves and the insides are glideskin, meaning they are easy to put on, even when wet. When I get in the water, it's ages until I feel water seeping through.

I wear these all through winter, even when the water is almost freezing. Some people wear dry gloves but I find these fine. It's all down to personal comfort levels - I know an instructor who doesn't wear gloves at all and he dives in very cold water too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom