glove question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drrragon

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Has anyone used leather work type gloves instead of the usual neoprene? At least on dry land, leather seems to hold up better than the neoprene even if lined with plastic. Like sharp things generally don't penetrate the leather. And they don't seem to fall apart at the seams.

would the salt environment dissolve the leather quickly or soften it enough to fray?

My neoprene gloves have to be replaced cuz of holes in the fingertips and loose threads at some seams and holding some of the velcro in place.

dives with a pair of work/fabric glove he got from Home Depot , he was So proud...

"Only $4.99 " ... yeah... :) , they're Already fallin' apart, I told 'im to suck it up and buy some Actual dive gloves.

I’ve wondered about that myself. Granted, its warm water, I’ve been using the Ace Hardware special (latex coated string) garden glove for several years. Figured they wouldn’t hold up and planned on going to some kind of work glove when they fell apart. :D

Leather will not have the thermal insulation of neoprene and seams will probably not be watertight. I'm not a leather expert but it seems that repeated saturation and drying will cause leather to shrink and distort severely. Also a work glove will usually have a broad cuff and do little to control water flushing.

Now if you happen to be in warm water, doing something nasty I can see trying leather palmed work gloves or something like that for durability.

You can get the Kevlar faced neoprene dive gloves.

Last edited:
For moderately warm water (down to 50 or 60F) I have an old pair of goatskin gardening gloves that held up well in both fresh and salt water. If I were to replace them, I’d consider bionic gloves. Both fit better than traditional work gloves.

I have a friend who wears work gloves from Home Depot in warm water. (We do some work underwater so cheap strong gloves are best.) I don't like them because there is too much extra bulk and it is hard to use my computer buttons. Sort of depends on your computer for that issue.

Regards,
TED

I;m not a leather expert but ti seems that repeated saturation and drying will cause leather to shrink and distort severely. .

Hey, have we not forgotton:

"If the glove don't fit......"
Pardon me while I go wash my white Bronco..... :rofl3:

Well I came across a pair of dive gloves that look like leather palmed gloves. The "leather" is a polyurethane, a synthetic leather, but they have what I thought would be the advantage of some leather gloves, i.e., more dexterity due to thinness, but then that also means less insulation. The neoprene for the back of the glove is about 1 mm. This is a very non-bulky glove.

They are sold as "reef gloves" for warm water diving, made in Thailand, and cost me at the LDS $18.

I'll have to see about the palm material and the seam's ability to hold up, but at least they seem to be made for divers so hopefully the material and thread type was considered for diving in salt water.

Thanks for all of the replies and considerations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom