Glossary of Terms?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BrotherBear

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey folks,

I'm still very new to this sport, I haven't earned my decoder ring and have yet to learn all the secret handshakes. And I'm guessing I'm not alone!
Like any sport, activity, lifestyle, etc. SCUBA has a plethora of terms unique to itself, and like so many other sub-cultures many of those terms are reduced to acronyms or abbreviations just to keep the mystery, well...mysterious.

I learned about NDLs and BCs in my training, I know what "Viz" is and have even mastered SAC (understanding what it means, not controlling it :no: ). I know the basic hand signals and I'm pretty confident that I can now control the urge to issue an enthusiastic thumbs-up as a signal that I'm having a great time!!

So...my question is...is there a central glossary of abbreviations, acronyms, hand signals, etc? I know some if not all of it is in various books and training manuals but I wondered if the combined brainpower of ScubaBoard has ever compiled a list of terms, official and unofficial in a post on the board? If it exists can someone point me to it, I didn't see anything obvious. If it doesn't exist would it not be a nice reference to those of us still incredibly new and ignorant?

Just wondering is all...

Cave Diver nailed it there

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom