Gloat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey,
I have seen a little of the threads that you have mentioned- ugly.
Agreed that it does not need another thrashing here.

Heather and I have been talking about this; and hopefully I can work it into future plans. I really want to get back to cave country; the experiences I had diving there was just incredible.

Andrew

loosebits:
Thanks for the tip.. I was planning on getting a saftey spool anyway just because trusting my life to something that can jam if you're not paying attention (or you can't see) didn't seem like a good idea. Any other evilness I should look out for?

Andrew, you need to get your butt back there and go full cave expecially since it appear Ginnie isn't allowing intro divers in doubles anymore (probably means no side mount or RB's either so you'll be stuck with an H-valve). Please, no comments about the new Ginnie policy, there are already two monster threads out there.

Alan,
With all respects it is a bit more than just warm water that would affect the diver’s core temperature. You spend a fair amount of time standing in water talking before and after the dive. Average water temp can be in the high sixties to the low seventies. Plus, you are making multiples dives a day into a dark environment. There is a lot going on for the students.

The glove idea is nice if you have fingerless gloves. But you would not have enough tactile touch for this environment. Plus, limestone is being dissolved by the calcium carbonate in the water. This makes certain surfaces sharp plus you have flow coming out from the cave. Many people come home with fingers that are just a little tore up from grabbing wet rocks that have been chemically sharpened. In the past I have used fingerless inline skating gloves that had carbon fiber palms and reinforced material on top of the glove- just my choice.

Finger spools are very nice touch.

texdiveguy:
One bit of thoughts on your new safety spool,,,,get one with the larger center finger hole...really pays off for handling in heavy 'wet or dry' gloves.

Crazyduck:
Alan,
With all respects it is a bit more than just warm water that would affect the diver’s core temperature. You spend a fair amount of time standing in water talking before and after the dive. Average water temp can be in the high sixties to the low seventies. Plus, you are making multiples dives a day into a dark environment. There is a lot going on for the students.

The glove idea is nice if you have fingerless gloves. But you would not have enough tactile touch for this environment. Plus, limestone is being dissolved by the calcium carbonate in the water. This makes certain surfaces sharp plus you have flow coming out from the cave. Many people come home with fingers that are just a little tore up from grabbing wet rocks that have been chemically sharpened. In the past I have used fingerless inline skating gloves that had carbon fiber palms and reinforced material on top of the glove- just my choice.

Finger spools are very nice touch.

Andrew,
Finger spools are great,,,,never dive without one,,,,my comment regarding the use of large hole spools was intended to lend insight of the more verstility of a large hole spool (many divers are not aware they are avlb. or overlooked--it was an oversight of mine,,,so I speak from doing) when I purchased mine first....it can be used obviously in both cold and warm water envr.,,,gloved or no glove diving. I am familiar with limestone and the effects of water chem. and flow/current...been scraped more than once myself. The use of gloves in cold water diving and learning 'feel' is a skill you aquire as you gain experience in those enviroments. Once you have mastered 'feel' with gloves...line work becomes even more enjoyable. In regards to the thermo dynamics of a diver before-during-after diving....now that is a topic we can discuss at length,,,as it is so important,,,guess thats why I so enjoy those cold and dark dives as much as the balmy waters you refered to above. I hope I never get to a point in diving were I forget I am but a mere 'student' in our wonderful sport and science of scuba....always something new to learn. Take good care... :)

PS--- hope you got my PM from yesaterday.

I'll sum up...

Finger spools: good
Finger spools with big holes: better
Gloves in FL caves: a big no-no.
Bloody fingers: part of the fun

loosebits:
I'll sum up...

Finger spools: good
Finger spools with big holes: better
Gloves in FL caves: a big no-no.

LOL... :) should we discuss colored line???

I have the fix for bloody fingers, it works

I put a water proof band-aid on my left hand on my pinky tip and the ring finger tip only, they hold up to the sharp rocks and do not come off, leaves the rest of my fingers open for feel, I still use other for pull and glide but when I'm doing the "pull and slide" like I do in ginnie I use the last two fingers for the slide part

Ginnie get my fingers bloody no matter how hard I try, that stuff is just so sharp

Crazyduck:
Heather and I have been talking about this; and hopefully I can work it into future plans. I really want to get back to cave country; the experiences I had diving there was just incredible.

Heather? Rick, tell him about the pants.

texdiveguy:
LOL... :) should we discuss colored line???

I use monofilament, that way color isn't an issue :)

pants are very tricky

the key is timing, you have to get up early in the morning, and put the pants on.

If she gets up before you and puts the pants on, its allllll over.

FIXXERVI6:
pants are very tricky ... the key is timing ...
:rofl: My almost 30 years experience has taught me timing also involves recognizing when to let her wear the pants.

Willie

loosebits:
I'll sum up...

If you got bloody fingers your trim is not dialed in for high flow.

To prevent all those small cuts take a file to all your bolt snaps and Wd 40 them for smooth operation. Remember when you hands become waterlogged they cut very easy.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom