Giving the 7mm wetsuit a little trim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Timmyjoe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm new to this whole sport, especially diving in the cold lakes up here in Northern Illinois. The shop I dive with recommended a 7mm wetsuit and 7mm hood as the water temps up here are in the mid 40ºF range right now.

I've got a 7mm Henderson Thermoprene wetsuit that fits me great, but it really hits me in an uncomfortable place in the front of the neck, especially with the 7mm hood on. I'd like to relieve it a bit, trim a bit of a scoop in it, as shown with the red line in the attached photo. I would not be trimming through any seams on the suit, just taking a scoop out of the front neoprene.

TrimSuit.jpg

Is this a really bad idea? I would hate to ruin the suit. The bib on my hood extends quite a bit further down my chest than what would be exposed by my trimming this scoop.

If any of you experienced divers has an opinion on this, or any first hand experience, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks a bunch.

Best,
-Tim

Why not ????.....Divers are notorious for customizing, altering, mixing, cannibalizing etc.....As long as it's safe, go for it !!!!!

7mm and mid 40's? Yikes!

I am not saying you can't do it. But I know when I have been in 48, that was right there at what I would call my bottom as far as temp goes.

52 -55 and I am good for 45 -55 minutes.

You might want to look for a 4/6 hooded vest.

As far as trimming the suit, you have the right idea not trimming through the seams.

7mm in mid 40sºF would be cold for me. I wear a full 7mm and 3mm core warmer and would be cold in mid-40s. A 7mm hood with skin in works great for cold water diving. I own a 7mm Bare Elastek and would buy it again.

One trick to try is to pour really warm water in your suit just before going in so the air space in not displaced by cold water.

Yeap... I would concur on the 7mm not being adequate at those temps! Are you sure they recommended a 7mm wetsuit? 40F sounds like dry suit only temperatures but if you dare it with a 7mil I would also recommend an undergarment like a Lavacore long sleeve shirt, a hooded vest, etc.

Have you done a dive with the suit yet? If not, you might want to try the suit in the water as is first. Sometimes things are less uncomfortable once in the water. Perhaps a pool dive to see if being in the water makes a difference.

I would also take the suit back to the shop and ask them to look at it on you and get their opinion.

That's pretty cold water, if you haven't bought it yet I'd think hard about that unless you have a high tolerance to cold. I'd be wary of cutting as it needs to be reasonably snug in order to prevent influx of water. Have you tried it in water? You may find once in the water it's fine. Good luck.

Thanks for all the feedback folks. I've already bought the suit, and will use it in open water for the first time at the end of May. Doing a deep dive where the surface temp will probably be in the mid-50's but with a pretty shallow thermocline at that time of the year, I've been told the water at the depth we're going to (80 feet) is supposed to be somewhere between 45ºF and 48ºF. It's a Deep PADI Adventure dive so we're not going to be down at that depth, in that temperature, for long.

I'll have a chance to try the suit in a pool environment next week so maybe I won't trim it or alter it until after I've tried it in water.

Thanks again everyone for the feedback. Greatly appreciated.

Best,
-Tim

I agree with the others that it will probably feel better at depth. Tight necks above water seem to be a common complaint. If you do decide to cut it, maybe just try a slit and some aquaseal on the edges. You'll have your hood bib under it anyway.

Not sure why your dive shop didn't recommend a farmer john/jacket though.

Back
Top Bottom