Girlie Gook --- what's the best??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ann Marie

be happy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Alright, there is a lot of talk about how we as women should or shouldn't be concerned about how we look before, during or after diving; this thread isn't for that.

I'm starting this thread to get some input on the best girlie gook products out there!

I for one am concerned about how I look in the water and out. Heaven forbid that I have snot on my face! I worry about my gray hair (I keep it hidden thanks to a good stylist) and the wrinkles that are popping up (though I do try to think of them as laugh-lines). I don't think I'm any less a diver because I would like to wear a little eyeliner and mascara. And if I wear a hat during a surface interval to protect my hair (or should I say 'hair color') and skin while hiding the fact that my hair looks like a broom, that certainly doesn't make me less of a diver or an instructor.

Right now I don't wear makeup while I'm diving but that is probably only because I still haven't found that perfect eyeliner or mascara that can handle the rigors of a dive day whether it be in the ocean or in the pool. I just bought a new liner today and will let you know how it goes.

Now I do have a great sunblock that I use, it's called Ocean Potion. Hold onto your hoods ladies---it is a anti-aging sunblock!! And it smells good too! Protect my skin and look younger, that is what I'm talking about!

So, what products do you use to protect your hair or your skin? What makeup can handle the rigors of the pool and the ocean?

Make up or not, there's nothing sexier than a woman who has just come up from a dive (brains on her face and all) except a woman on a dive. Diving makes you all look better.

I love Ocean Potion products. We can't get it here so I always stock up when I'm back in the US.

The best thing I've found to keep the tanglies at bay or to recover from them is Biolage's Conditioning Balm. The smallest amount works wonders for my mid-back length fine but really thick hair. When I remember I take one of those mini spritzer bottles with one squirt of Balm and the rest fresh water...last forever and doesn't use much product. This stuff is my saving grace to go from boats and diving to dinner out.

alcina:
I love Ocean Potion products. We can't get it here so I always stock up when I'm back in the US.

The best thing I've found to keep the tanglies at bay or to recover from them is Biolage's Conditioning Balm. The smallest amount works wonders for my mid-back length fine but really thick hair. When I remember I take one of those mini spritzer bottles with one squirt of Balm and the rest fresh water...last forever and doesn't use much product. This stuff is my saving grace to go from boats and diving to dinner out.

And it smells really good too!

Walter:
Make up or not, there's nothing sexier than a woman who has just come up from a dive (brains on her face and all) except a woman on a dive. Diving makes you all look better.

You know what Walter, that is a really nice thing for you to say. Thank you.

Thanks for the tips, ladies!

I can tell you one product to stay away from is Coppertone Water-babies! Gets in your eyes and burns like the fire of a thousand suns!:redhot:

As we were talking about "the boogies" on another thread, I have a problem related to this issue. I think I get a little too zealous and worried about them at the end of a dive and wipe my nose too much with my gloves. Then I wind up with the same kind of scalies you get around your nose after a head cold! Anyone know of a gook that would rid or diminish the appearance of the scales!:huh:

MeiLing:
As we were talking about "the boogies" on another thread, I have a problem related to this issue. I think I get a little too zealous and worried about them at the end of a dive and wipe my nose too much with my gloves. Then I wind up with the same kind of scalies you get around your nose after a head cold! Anyone know of a gook that would rid or diminish the appearance of the scales!:huh:
It gets wet and isn't as good as a kleenex, but I carry a bandanna in my BC pocket. I use it to get rid of the boogies, wipe off the sunscreen that's trickling into my eyes, and occasionally to wipe the crud off my console when I'm diving in a local (very cruddy) lake.

Well, I may look like a dork but I leave my mask on till I can get to my towel. Sometimes I think I'm ok and take it off, wipe my face with my glove and it's covered. So I've learned to just leave it on till I can get to my towel, or ask someone to pass me a tissue.

Nobody wants to see that. Not even Walter :wink:

Back
Top Bottom