Girlie Gook --- what's the best??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I usually wear my medium-long, very fine hair french braided while diving, to control it and reduce tangling, and I always carry a little bottle of spray detangler (VO5 detangle and shine works well and is cheap) and a wide-toothed comb in my dry bag. After the diving I can get the tangles out, rebraid it and go to lunch.
Lip balm with sunscreen is also vital. Lips don't tan!
I don't worry about what I look like on the boat (in drysuits we all look like Spaceman Spiff anyway) but I'd like to look human afterwards!

Deborah

MeiLing:
As we were talking about "the boogies" on another thread, I have a problem related to this issue. I think I get a little too zealous and worried about them at the end of a dive and wipe my nose too much with my gloves. Then I wind up with the same kind of scalies you get around your nose after a head cold! Anyone know of a gook that would rid or diminish the appearance of the scales!:huh:

Ok, this is going to sound gross but I use chicken poop on my lips and nose!!

chicken_tube.jpg

If you get past the name it's a great product. I'll all natural and it has a ton of jojoba oil in it. I always have dry lips, so I have tubes of it everywhere. When my nose gets sore, I just rub a little on it too...immediate relief!!

scratchmyback:
Well, I may look like a dork but I leave my mask on till I can get to my towel. Sometimes I think I'm ok and take it off, wipe my face with my glove and it's covered. So I've learned to just leave it on till I can get to my towel, or ask someone to pass me a tissue.

Nobody wants to see that. Not even Walter :wink:

I've been on so many dives with so many divers, I don't give a second thought to a little leaking brain matter. It does bother some folks, so I try to make sure I have none on my face before I get on the boat. On the bottom of the ladder, after I've slipped my fins over my wrists, I take off my mask and put it in my fin pocket. I then proceed to blow my nose and wash my face. I ascend the ladder with a clean face. You get some odd looks from time to time from the boat crew, but your face is clean 99.9% of the time.

Snot doesn't bother me....ahhh, the joys of my profession.

But out of consideration to my fellow divers, I try to be booger-free.

Redkin makes a great deep conditioner, it comes in single use ampules. I like to use it once a week (usually on Sunday night, after a weekend of diving).

Ojon makes another that is fantastic, but a little pricey.

In a pinch use your regular conditioner and wrap your head in a hot towel for 30 minutes of so, then rinse it out.

Always use a gentle shampoo during the week and keep product use minimal. Also make sure to use a leave in conditioner with SPF on diving days (I usually only do this post-dive), again, Redkin makes a good one.

As for nails, I wore acrylic for years, and had no problems with it. Now I am doing "natural" and I like it better. I get a manicure every 10 days, and keep my nails short (fingertip length)to prevent breakage. I like the nuetral shades from Essie, great colors and the tips of my nails are white enough that it looks like a French. Cuticle oil is essential (I like the Essie apricot oil because the bottle doesn't leak like the OPI Avoplex does), as is a good hand cream at the end of the day (I like Bliss Spa's). When diving I rarely wear more makeup than a swipe of mascara post dive and some lip gloss. Kiehl's makes a great tinted balm with SPF in several hues.

I am not a girlie girl my any stretch of the imagination - but I do care about my appearance (who doesnt?). I have very long and fine hair down to my butt that is highlighted, colored and layered (whew). Some things that have worked for me:
French braids work the best to keep it tamed. The addition of a soft pony tail holder at the mid braid/neck area also helps keep the shorter hairs from coming out of the braid. I also use beanie hood which reduces the flyaway hair syndrome while diving and once it dries.
I mix up 50/50 gel and conditioner in a small bottle that I use to slick hair back in french braid before and sometimes between dives. Obviously the conditioner is just good for your hair and my stylist told me that getting your hair cuticle to absorb something besides salt water (or chlorine) ahead of time helps keep the color intact and reduces damage.
For end of day comb-outs I like Aussie Hair Insurance spray - it smells wonderful and is an excellent detangler.

chickdiver:
As for nails, I wore acrylic for years, and had no problems with it. Now I am doing "natural" and I like it better. I get a manicure every 10 days, and keep my nails short (fingertip length)to prevent breakage. I like the nuetral shades from Essie, great colors and the tips of my nails are white enough that it looks like a French. Cuticle oil is essential (I like the Essie apricot oil because the bottle doesn't leak like the OPI Avoplex does), as is a good hand cream at the end of the day (I like Bliss Spa's).

Chickdiver, you are every nail tech's dream client! Just simply because of your home care routine. I send mine home with cuticle oil but they don't use it. I bet they don't floss either :D

Well, for all that I don't really worry about what I look like when diving, I am EXTREMELY particular about my appearance the rest of the week- so it pays off to pay attention on diving days.

I was well trained, I used to have a roommate who was a nail tech.....

Back
Top Bottom