Ginnie Springs Closed to Diving for the 4th of July Week

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rythmmaker

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was preparing to drive from the Atlanta area to North Florida for the long holiday weekend to get in a few freshwater dives in the clear springs and caverns, but I discovered that due to flooding on the Santa Fe River caused by TS Debby, all water activities at Ginnie Springs have been cancelled. The web site says until Sunday the 8th, but I called and spoke to someone there who told me they don't expect any water activities before next Tuesday the 10th.

They have even decided to postpone the fireworks till Labor Day. No river camp sites are currently available, either.

Here's the link: Ginnie Springs

Anyone have any suggestions on alternative dive opportunities in the general vicinity (driving distance from Atlanta?). I really don't want to dive cold murky water...
(I know, spoiled...)

RM

Last edited:
Marianna? Call shops in Tallahassee and the Florida panhandle. I talked to Wakulla Dive Center, they're diving today locally.

You can pretty much write off the Suwannee and it's tributaries for the next month or so. We made a trip out to Pensacola Saturday, and from the flooding I saw, it's my guess that most everywhere to the east of St Marks and north of Cedar Key is going to be blown. Everything west of Apalachicola seemed okay. Your best bet would be Marianna or the Econfina River/Holmes Creek springs in Washinton County.

Try to get a local report before you go, there may have been a lot of water upstream that just hadn't got there yet when I was there.

I know you said same drive/time from Atlanta, but Catfish Hotel in Manatee Springs, [about 45min-1Hr further south ] may be good...They say when all others are bad Catfish is good...Call, the ranger will let you know.....They require a 'buddy'.....[Picky, picky, picky ;O !!! ]

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom