Gimp City Update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation

Relocated to South Florida....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Accident - 9/4.

Its been 5 weeks and a few days. Thought I'd offer an update to my SoCal homies.

* 3.5 weeks into this, I found I could walk. I use the term walk in the most liberal sense of the word. Essentially shuffled along sans Crutch support. Called the doc, he said get a grip, don't walk yet. Buzzkill.

* At about 4 weeks into this, I bought a cane. Not a cane with a sword in it, or a cane with some carved figuerine, or a flask - or anything remotely cool. Just a cane. Cheap. $12.95 at Sport Chalet. So I can get around with one hand now and carry stuff like almost like a normal person. Frosty Diet Pepsi in the left hand, cane in the right. Its just so beautiful, man.

* At about 4.5 weeks into this I donned the BP/W with about 12 pounds in the ACB. Figger if I can schlep around some weight, I'll get stronger. Called the DR. He said to knock it off.

* This weekend I brought in the drysuit. Tried it on. I've lost about 10 pounds since the accident, and about 20 - 25 since I bought the drysuit a couple of years ago. Its huge. But the neck seal will probably still work if I don't poke around too much. My objective is to do a couple of dives on 10/23 in the dive park. If I can. I gotta say, its looking pretty positive so far.

* Today - for the first time in about five and a half weeks, I wore a shoe on my right foot. Its still pretty Flintstone-esque (the foot), but this weekend I had a break through. The swelling is no longer limitless (balloon city) and although my foot still gets pretty big, there is essentially no pain and the swelling is no longer completely prohibitive to the extent is stretches and peels the skin. It gets big, then stops. Sunday was a major break through and the first time I could walk on it throughout an entire day (wif my not-so-Avengers cane, of course) - from church until dinner...didn't have to ice it or anything. Amazing.

Anyone in my age range (old) will appreciate this. I went into a local store today, and tried on about 10 or 11 pairs. The ones that fit: Earth Shoes. They lace down to the toe (essentially) so I can loosen them way up and jam fatty in there. I put a black boot lace on chubbers, so I can keep it super lose and still tie it. I look all 90's def on the right side, and normal 40's something on the left. Whatever. I can walk.

Dr. Appt is this Thursday 10/14. We take the first X-rays since the accident, he gets to see me walk and hopefully he'll say, "good job, way to heal up..." He may say stay off it another week... who knows.

I leave Monday for my first business trip - going to FLL for a couple of days and then New Jersey. Returning Friday, and then hopefully to dive on Sat 10/23. Couldn't go east without a shoe... a sock in Jersey in October is not recommended.

SO - I'm walking better every day (no free walking yet - although I cheat and do some times) and I can get TWO shoes on for the first time in over a month. Been a big week for me.

Looking forward to diving next Sat 10/23, and then joining all the SoCal's in LJ on the 30th.

K

Man o man, these shoes are a serious breach of rule #6! Get better soon!

Mo2vation:
Anyone in my age range (old) will appreciate this.

Well I guess I qualify to appreciate your choice of Earth Shoes, Ken! So glad to hear things are progressing with your leg and can't wait until you can dive again!!

Remember to LISTEN to your doctor when he talks to you about taking it easy while you heal, we want you to be 100% :)!

jennifer

Those things are just as ugly as when they came out! :11:

Are the heals still lower than the front of the shoe like they were back in the '60s?

I still think you are pushing it to go diving on the 23rd even in that over sized swimming pool we call a Dive Park. But I hope I am wrong and that the doctor says, "Yeah... I think you're ready to schlep dive gear that's about half of your body weight to the water."

Glad to hear you are healing up nicely!

Christian

Don't go there, Ken. Another birthday rapidly approaches, and this one stings a bit.

But do take it easy and listen to the doctor. We don't heal as quickly as we used to at our age...LOL!

PS - If you are going to New Jersey, could you bring me back a pizza?!

Dude, what's next? Green and orange OP shirts with nice big collars? Feathered hair? Roach clips? A Keep on Truckin' sticker on your BP? I'm worried about you man....

Get all better soon

Chris

Thanks to all for your well wishes.

Thanks to Chris for making me laugh...

Got back from the Dr today - he was very, very pleased with my progress, stating twice in the short exam that I am "way ahead of schedule..."

I'm walking better and stronger everyday - free walking these days. I talked with him about diving on 10/23 - he didn't even flintch. The bones are knitting up very well, and at the pace I'm progressing, in the 9 more days between now and the 23rd, I should be able to handle a couple of dives.

Jaye and I will be at the Cat dive park on 10/23. I'll probably do one or two - depending on how I feel.

I remain in tearful awe at this healing process - its been so amazing to watch. Our bodies are true gifts.

K

Ken,

Glad to hear that you're feeling slightly better. Don't rush things, hard as it may be! Re-injuries take longer to heal! The ocean will be ready when you are...

Dude. I can't believe you bought an ugly cane. Thats so lame.

Go out before you don't need it anymore and get a really cool cane.

And a bumpersticker on your backplate wouldn't be a bad idea either! :D

Get well soon,

Doc

Ken

Dude your not even walking yet and your going to strap a tank to your back !
Last time I was in the H20 was July 4th at the Pointe
with a ruptured disc. I wasn't even SCUBA (snorkeling) diving. Well I walked away with 4 stitches in my elbow and a back in worse shape thanks to the stairs. I'd hate to see what would happen if you had the same problem! I had surgery Sept. 2 and won't be allowed back in the water til Dec. at the earliest. I'm walking with some pain and I know I'm not ready yet. Get some physical therapy first. You stated you've lost 10 lbs. Are you physically fit 5 weeks after surgery?
If I may make a suggestion. Start out with Freediving/snorkeling. You'll be able to strengthen your legs and improve your breathing through relaxation.
I feel your pain! I'm dying to get my Na H2O fix! Cruising the BBS is he only way to get my fix.

Good Luck from a fellow klutz and junkie

Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom