Gilboa Quarry Changing Hands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will add that the new staff were incredibly nice and helpful. Don ( I think?) who has worked there forever is still around, he used to run the office with Mike, but now he is strictly grounds and working on his own schedule, which he seemed to really enjoy. One guy I was with has known him for a long time and remarked the he looked about ten years younger than the last time he saw him.....

Where's that?
Monroe Quarry. It is privately owned, you need permission from the owner to dive there. All of the public safety teams have access for training.

?? Union Lake is 16 ft deep?
The "bowl" we dive in ranges from 25'-45' in depth. Scooter runs we can kick up to 120' which is the absolute deepest we have managed to find.

The "bowl" we dive in ranges from 25'-45' in depth. Scooter runs we can kick up to 120' which is the absolute deepest we have managed to find.
Oops, sorry. I was looking at a different Union Lake.

Monroe Quarry. It is privately owned, you need permission from the owner to dive there. All of the public safety teams have access for training.
Several years ago there was a dive shop across the street from the quarry that had access. I wish I could dive that pole barn again now that I have more experience. There was some other cool stuff in there that I never got to see either.

If my memory serves me correctly, the one time we dove Union Lake we hit 42 degrees below the thermocline in the summer. There are a lot of nice lakes you can dive around the Detroit area if you just look around a bit to find a good access point. Just take a flag.

I haven't been to Gilboa since my advanced open water training dives over 10 yrs ago. Has much changed?

I haven't been to Gilboa since my advanced open water training dives over 10 yrs ago. Has much changed?

The new owners have invested in the properly pretty significantly. I've not been back since the quarry changed hands as I live in Florida now, but I know many people who have. It is MUCH improved both in terms of process and property.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom