Gilboa Quarry Changing Hands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I ended up at Gilboa a few years back to do some technical training as the Lake kept being its unpredictable self and could never get in two days in a row. I enjoyed the place and thought of a family trip to let the wife and daughter enjoy all the fun of the shallow side of the quarry. This new ownership mindset has me even more interested in making the trip. We are equally distant from Gilboa and Dutch Springs for this type of experience....

Since I've decided to no longer teach deco or deep classes I'm not going to be taking students there. However, I may decide to run out when I want to do something different.
I never had a problem with Mike because I took the attitude that it was his place so his rules. Just as if someone came to my house. If they didn't like my rules, they can stay away.
Once I did that I found that it was very easy to work within those rules.
The people I saw have the most problems were the ones who seemed to think he owed them something other than a place to dive with some facilities. Or the ones who didn't want to follow the rules that were put in to keep people safe and try to preserve the place.
Mike was always very good to me. Need oxygen? Call him a week or two ahead of time and he'd make sure it was there.
Even coming in at 10 o'clock at night to fill deco bottles for myself and students.
I used to get there midweek and spend half a day collecting the wagons that slobs would leave down along the docks because they were too lazy to bring them up after using them. I didn't have to, I wanted to because of the respect he showed me.
I liked that the cats were there and gave me the feeling of being more like home.
I've known Andy for over 10 years from the YMCA program and Scubafest. I haven't talked to him in a couple of years but he gets things done. He took Columbus Scuba from working out of his garage to what it is today.
I wish him well even if I don't go back out there.

Last night the new owner did a podcast update on Gilboa changes and plans. At the end, he took questions from the 250+ people listening in. (The podcast recording is supposed to be available for viewing at the Ohio diving promotion organization who hosted the event.). I was impressed and expect divers will immediately see improvements with many more to come!

Last night the new owner did a podcast update on Gilboa changes and plans. At the end, he took questions from the 250+ people listening in. (The podcast recording is supposed to be available for viewing at the Ohio diving promotion organization who hosted the event.). I was impressed and expect divers will immediately see improvements with many more to come!

I saw that but wasn't able to join. The simple fact that the new owner(s) had a public live podcast with Q&A in and of itself is huge. Makes the former operation seem like it was in the stone age but it kind of was. I'm not longer in the Midwest and even I'm excited to see the changes that are coming!

Where’s that podcast at? I’d like to listen to it.

The Zoom meeting was hosted by the Ohio Council of Skin and Scuba Divers. They recorded the call and said they'd upload it to Youtube. It's not up yet but here's a link to their page: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr7mGc_tAFUP3Bt9nNOb0_w

Never had a run in with Mike personally. I always preferred White Star as it's closer for me and a little more family friendly but have always been open to diving Gilboa.

That being said, I was very excited by what Andy had to say last night. He's got some great ideas.

I was at Gilboa this past Friday for a couple of dives.

The place looks great, all of the "stuff" that used to be in the parking lot has been moved to another parcel you see on your way in.

The area west of the office building has been cleared, and it will be a nice spot for lunch, camping or non-divers to hang out during the day.

The mens room in the bath house has been redone, they had new fixtures, one new shower and an overall updated vibe.

The office was in the process of being updated.

I did not do the online pre-registration, but others we were with did and said it was a breeze. They have tablets in the office for registration, it was fairly easy, and they are working on improving the flow.

They added benches with storage areas underneath down on the docks, which are really nice. Makes suiting up and splashing a breeze. They also added bungees for strapping tanks on the benches, which I thought was a good idea.

Underwater was the same as I remember, we thought there were less fish, but who knows? Very quiet when we arrived (maybe 6 divers total) but it was filling up as we left.

I should have taken pictures, but totally forgot. I did not see this thread until today. If I go back before anyone adds photos here, I will snap a few pictures.

I never had a problem with Mike either, but I like the direction things are going in now. For one, the ability to pay with a credit card is huge. And checking in is so much quicker and easier now, which speeds things up if there are people ahead of you. I also like that they don't charge nearly as much for parking up top as Mike did. The past couple of times I've gone they didn't even charge me for parking up top because it was mid-week and pretty empty.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom