Gilboa January 18th - 19th?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am going to be there as long as I have a dive buddy. So O-ring if will be there so will I.

I am leaving Lexington early Sat morning and returning Sunday night.

Chad

Good morning,
If you are still looking for folks to join you, count me in. I don't ever need too much coaxing to get wet somewhere. It would be nice to meet some of the people here on the board.
Is there a list of those that are 'definites?"

By the way, anyone going to be there this Saturday(December 21st)?

Best Regards
Don

I'm working hard on trying to make it!
Lot depends on transportation right at the moment.

and I thought you guys said it was going to be cold????
those temps sound like lake ontario in august! ROFL!

canuckdiver once bubbled...
and I thought you guys said it was going to be cold????
those temps sound like lake ontario in august! ROFL!
I wish I was as acclimated to cold as you were! I am in for sure as long as others are going...I don't have anything to do that weekend. I will probably leave really really early on Sat. morning and get up there in the morning sometime (or maybe leave Friday night...who knows).

By the way, anyone going to be there this Saturday(December 21st)?
Nope..we are doing an oyster dive in the Chesapeake...should be a good warmup for Gilboa...I will post something when we get back and let you know what the temps were..

well, acclimated to the cold or not, the deep end sounds like it is well within the realms of possibility.

Be good training for you if you can get up here this summer to see the wrecks :wink:

O-ring once bubbled...

<40? Ouch. Ok, who all is really going to go...I have this vision of me showing up and nobody being there...although I can't imagine why cold water would deter anyone from seeing a sunken Dr. Pepper machine...

I got this off the website Big-t listed (thanks, btw)...

Currently: 40-42° below 60 ft
52° at 30 ft
50° surface, to about 20 ft

The < 40 deg. is only on the north side of the wall, and really only below 100ft. From what I understand, it never gets much above (if ever) 40 degrees at depth on the deep side.

I would anticipate temps in the mid 40s in the middle of Jan (maybe a little warmer), and no warmer than 40 to 42 by the tubes. When we were there in NOV, it was just under 50 at the surface (of course it was snowing and windy as hell that day), about 54 at 20 to 40 feet, and 48 to 50 out by the tubes (60ft.). Inside the plane (25ft), I got a reading of 51 on my computer on our second dive when we were inside playing with the toypedo for about 10 minutes.

As for the Dr. Pepper machine, that is one of my favorite things to play with at Gilboa...One day I want to get it lifted and move it around...just for fun...Brian and I have already thought of numerous places it would look cool at.

hmmmm, if we all bring lift bags............:bonk:

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...

The < 40 deg. is only on the north side of the wall, and really only below 100ft. From what I understand, it never gets much above (if ever) 40 degrees at depth on the deep side.

I would anticipate temps in the mid 40s in the middle of Jan (maybe a little warmer), and no warmer than 40 to 42 by the tubes. When we were there in NOV, it was just under 50 at the surface (of course it was snowing and windy as hell that day), about 54 at 20 to 40 feet, and 48 to 50 out by the tubes (60ft.). Inside the plane (25ft), I got a reading of 51 on my computer on our second dive when we were inside playing with the toypedo for about 10 minutes.

As for the Dr. Pepper machine, that is one of my favorite things to play with at Gilboa...One day I want to get it lifted and move it around...just for fun...Brian and I have already thought of numerous places it would look cool at.
I think I'll bring my shorty...

canuckdiver once bubbled...
well, acclimated to the cold or not, the deep end sounds like it is well within the realms of possibility.

Be good training for you if you can get up here this summer to see the wrecks :wink:

It is very much within the realm, people dive over there all the time. You do have to fill out a deep dive plan and have it approved at the office before you go over there rergardless of depth. You also have to have at least one of the criteria listed for deep diving that is listed on the deep dive profile approval sheets if you are going deeper than 80ft. I don't remember the criteria off the top of my head, I've only been over there twice (there's an 80ft training platform for advanced diver training). I do know that doubles is an option, as well as a redundant reg and airsource, however, those are not all of them.

I think it would be a great place to do deep taining and deco training, but without having been educated on the subject, I tend to stay away from that side.

Back
Top Bottom