Gilboa-helicopter sinking Friday May 18- dive anyone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ber Rabbit:
They have a rope course at the quarry. Do the rescue class there :D
Ber :lilbunny:

Hi Ber- I'll be gone (and home I hope) by the time you get up there. I've been keeping my dog 10-12 hours between morning walk and evening walk just to make sure we don't have any accidents on Friday- in case it takes longer than Mike thinks (I still want to get 2 dives in even if I don't start till noon!).

Do you go up I 75 I assume? I'll look for you when I'm headed back home!

Supposedly my dive buddy will be up there by noon, he's doing OW check-outs. He'll have a white van and at least 1 white 10x10 tent, probably 2 plus 1 shelter that's green/white striped. He usually sets up something that looks like a gypsy camp right across from the steps closest to the plane. Stop by and give him (Tim) a hard time for me :D

Yep, right up I-75 to the Napoleon Rd exit (134)

trucker girl:
Hi Ber- I'll be gone (and home I hope) by the time you get up there. I've been keeping my dog 10-12 hours between morning walk and evening walk just to make sure we don't have any accidents on Friday- in case it takes longer than Mike thinks (I still want to get 2 dives in even if I don't start till noon!).

Do you go up I 75 I assume? I'll look for you when I'm headed back home!

Tim is now my official backup plan. I'll tell him you sent me to check up on him and make sure he's doing things right! Ha ha.

Of course, this being my first dive since October, I'm very likely to put my wetsuit on backwards and forget my weight belt! He might pick up on the joke then!

Ber Rabbit:
Supposedly my dive buddy will be up there by noon, he's doing OW check-outs. He'll have a white van and at least 1 white 10x10 tent, probably 2 plus 1 shelter that's green/white striped. He usually sets up something that looks like a gypsy camp right across from the steps closest to the plane. Stop by and give him (Tim) a hard time for me :D

Yep, right up I-75 to the Napoleon Rd exit (134)

I spent most of the day at the quarry watching the sinking and then diving/scootering through it.

It was great meeting TruckerGirl and Jcoby today. Saw Barracuda2 running around getting video! Also... and he's going to kill me... who was the guy in the Rec2Tec shirt, Jon?.. I didn't catch his SB moniker :14:

Here's the topside pics that I got today.

0054.jpg

Looks pretty cool to me...and it sounds like we had a good turnout from some of our comrades in arms from the board. :)

I also had a good time. Mike's time frame of three hours applied to the actual SINKING of the helicopter from the time they got it above the sink-site to the time it hit bottom- it didn't include the 6 or 7 hours it took to rig it up for the crane, to swing it out over the water and to tug it out there! Oh well- it was very interesting to watch anyway and by 3 pm we could dive.

I saw only 2 other divers besides krjohnson, his son and me who were wearing wetsuits. That should have told us something.

I'm waiting on krjohnson to send me his dive computer's readout for the temps at various depths. Hes minimum temp showed 48 degrees! We had a max depth of 38 feet (bottom of th helicopter).

Joe- I could have used your hand warming therapy!

Met wb416, jchoby, gear junkie, krjohnson and his son Ian- also Tim (Ber's buddy) and got to see barracuda 2 again. BTW barracude 2 has the first official dive on the sikorsky as well as the first official swim through. He was not part of the sinking team but they did let him tag along to video the event!

All-in-all it was a good day!

Reggae Joe:
Looks pretty cool to me...and it sounds like we had a good turnout from some of our comrades in arms from the board. :)

I'd say sbers made up at least half the onlookers! There weren't very many people there early in the day.

It was a good day..... The wait was a little longer than expected but we finally got to dive the helo after all those years of looking at it sit in the parking lot..

((Going to attempt to post some of Gear Junkies pics))

index.php

Bird strikes are common - but not diver strikes

index.php

index.php

index.php

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom