Giant Stride with a Goodman Handle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

g1138

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This is a 2 part question both for curiosity's sake and for a specific example.

For the divers that dive with a Goodman Handle or a soft handle/light sock, how do you giant stride with it?
- Do you have it clipped off to your BC or do you have it around your hand?
- Does it depend on what light you have attached to it?
- If it's on your hand, do you place that hand on your mask or hugging your hoses?

For my specific example, I have an Intova Compact Torch that's wrapped up in a Oxycheq Raider III/IV light sock. I'll be jumping off the lower deck of a wharf and falling about 3-5ft before hitting the water (which is around 30ft deep)
Should I have my Torch clipped off and secured or around my hand when I enter? I'm kinda worried about torquing it too much when I splash in.

Thanks in advance!

OxyCheqLightSock.jpg<- Oxycheq Light sock

i've done it both ways with the lightsock, either clipped off, or on my hand if I am going to need it right away, doest matter much either way.

I have a can light with my goodman handle. We always enter with it clipped off and the cord tucked. For your application, I'm not sure it'd matter.

Clipped off. If it's night, I have a light switched on, but still clipped off.

Sweet, thanks for the input guys!

With canister light, I have the light head clipped cord stowed under waist strap. Left hand will hold mask and regulator in place. Right hand will hold weight belt, right fore arm will hold light head against my body. Before I have canister light, I used light socks. I just left it on my left hand all the time.

While remote, the possibility exists where if you are wearing the light head on your wrist and giant stride in the cord can get caught up on a piece of gear and not allow for full extension/use of your arm if needed. It happened to me once, so when going off a boat my lighthead is clipped to a chest D-ring until I am ready to use it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom