Dive Rite QRM Security Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use the QRM soft hand mount with a couple of Kraken dive lights that I have the mount affixed to. No problems with the light coming lose on the bracket or the locking arm opening back up. On of the problems with the soft hand mount though is when working with a reel. As I prefer the light on my right hand, when using with a classic style reel, I need to move the light to my left hand to reel in the line so as not to make the light go spastic. The soft hand mount can be moved somewhat easily from hand to hand without gloves on, but the light will be pointed backwards and needs to be remounted if this is done. I found it easier to simply remove the light from the QRM mount and hold it in my left hand with the handle of the reel.

On the back of the my lights I have a bolt snap tied off. Not only to clip the light to a D-ring but I keep a loop of 3/16" shock cord as a bracelet around my wrist. So if I'm not using or diving with the QRM hand mount I simply clip the bolt snap off to the shock cord to keep from losing the light. Much cleaner than the lanyards that come with the lights. The shock cord bracelet low profile and durable (I've had a number of those rubber "cause" bracelets break) and is super easy to make. Just an overhand knot in a lenght of shock cord and melt the ends*. I have a couple different sizes depending on if I'm diving with gloves or not or for my kiddo.

* A note about melting the ends of the shock cord: Dunk in water after melting or let it cool away from anything. The melted rubber stays tacky for a few minutes and will not hesitate to transfer itself onto anything you touch it against to include the wife's favorite placemats on the dining room table.

While I don't have a picture of a flashlight, here is the same setup with a GoPro.

GoProSetup.jpg

Appreciate all of the ideas! I added a bolt snap and will go from there.

My locking lever is mounted forward as shown by Dive Rite. I gather the concept is that you would most likely bump the front of the light and in that case it wouldn’t release even if unlatched.

Appreciate all of the ideas! I added a bolt snap and will go from there.

My locking lever is mounted forward as shown by Dive Rite. I gather the concept is that you would most likely bump the front of the light and in that case it wouldn’t release even if unlatched.
The problem is not bumping, striking, or pushing against the lever, as force directly against it causes no issue. The problems are twofold.

First, it is difficult to find when it is "backward." You cannot see it when your hand is outstretched. Why not reorient it and make it easier?

Second, if you cannot see it, or at best, if it is more difficult to see, you cannot monitor its position of whether it is closed or inadvertently open.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom