Using two Goodman handles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

matt5150

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, I searched the forums and perhaps this has been answered but I couldn't find an answer, maybe also a stupid question, anyway;

I have a Goodman handle'd canister light and another Goodman handle'd sidewinder style reel. It seems logical that the hand holding the light also holds the reel, that way the light isn't bouncing around when reeling in the reel. However, in this configuration, its barely possible to hold both. The light goes on my right hand first , then the reel. The reel just doesn't have enough room on my hand, and I have big hands. I dive in NY/NJ so I'm using 5mm gloves but it doesn't look like the thickness has anything to do with it.

Is this a common question? Does this configuration make sense? Thanks.

I always secure the light when I'm doing reel work. Why not just clip the light off?

Because it can be dark. But yes, I can do that.

Because it can be dark. But yes, I can do that.
Ergo, the light... What configuration are you diving? Are you diving solo?

I'm wearing a helmet and diving sidemount in overheads, so I just attach mine to my helmet. It isn't optimal for lighting, but for reel work I don't need to see far if I'm reeling in.

If I'm reeling out, I generally keep my light attached, but it's attached to my left hand. I'm not a fan of using the right hand as the primary hand for the primary light...

Yea. Diving solo usually. I thought about using a helmet but if I have an issue with my mask, having a helmet on would seem to make things worse. However, I do see a lot of guys around here using helmets now. You attach your light with Goodman handle to the helmet? If so, I assume it's just the light and the handle detaches?

Meant to say, I'm diving a DIR setup as my foundation but it's modified for NE diving.

Meant to say, I'm diving a DIR setup as my foundation but it's modified for NE diving.
Gotcha. I use a razor sidemount handle to mount on my hand and helmet.

The only thing I'd say bad about them is it is easy to drop a non-can light... If you go that route, I'd suggest attaching a loop of bungee to your arm and attaching the bolt snap on your light to the bungee.

I almost lost a big blue light in a crevasse in Mexico that way.

Hi, I searched the forums and perhaps this has been answered but I couldn't find an answer, maybe also a stupid question, anyway;

I have a Goodman handle'd canister light and another Goodman handle'd sidewinder style reel. It seems logical that the hand holding the light also holds the reel, that way the light isn't bouncing around when reeling in the reel. However, in this configuration, its barely possible to hold both. The light goes on my right hand first , then the reel. The reel just doesn't have enough room on my hand, and I have big hands. I dive in NY/NJ so I'm using 5mm gloves but it doesn't look like the thickness has anything to do with it.

Is this a common question? Does this configuration make sense? Thanks.
If I’m understanding you correctly, you are trying to hold the reel the same way you hold the light?

You don’t slide your hand inside the reel handle like you do with the light, with the reel, you GRAB the handle.
IMG_0244.jpeg

Yea. I do that but still slide it on. The reel would be in my palm so my fingers can put tension on the spool. My light is on the back of my hand.

Back
Top Bottom