Question Soft goodman handle stable enough?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cheizz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I own and really like my Mares EOS 20RZ dive torch. It does everything I want from a primary light. I only use it at night dives or in darker water. I also have a smaller backup torch (Orcatorch D520) that's always with me on my harness.

Back to the Mares EOS 20RZ. Mares has a soft goodman handle for it, allowing hands-free operation. The fact that it's a soft construction and a bigger, slightly front-heavy torch makes me wonder: will that soft goodman handle be stable enough? Some youtube reviews suggest the torch is a bit big an heavy for the soft construction. What do you guys think? Or better even: what experience have you had with that soft handle and that torch?

Make sure the light is secured by something other than the stretching of the band holding the light in place. It can slip forward and out if not secured. Ask me how I know. At least now I have something to look for if I ever take a search and recovery course.

Used multiple soft goodman handles on various sized torches with 0 problems. Providing the torch is secured properly which can be fiddly on some of the soft goodmans out there you should be just fine

I much prefer a hard goodman personally, but If you want a soft handle I have been told the Oxycheq soft goodman is the one to get.

I own the OrcaTorch linked above. I'm not fond of it much.

Thanks for the replies. Here, the Mares handle sells for € 40, so I'll give it a go. Securing the torch somewhere else too makes sense.

I have one but don’t care for it, I just use small bungee and use it to hold the light
99B2FCF0-3781-4ABF-B743-FB24756198C5.jpeg
B4848ABC-9F15-4A2A-829F-244F74238E2E.jpeg
6CBAA014-CDCA-4854-9135-806E590EADBB.jpeg

it works on bigger lights too within reason.

• Brilliant!
Reactions: L13

Back
Top Bottom