Optimizing UWLD, Goodman handle for reel work

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mr_v

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Howdy everyone,

I have recently purchased UWLD-40 with two Goodman handles: hard and soft. I want to use the light with either hand and the hard handle is a no-go due to trauma on top of one of the hands. Soft handle is it, but it is still a bit clunky to use with reels. The light and the handle have boltsnaps that seem to get in the way and the handles positioning is not ideal. I have also procured Oxycheq light sock, which is great, but the grove in the light is about 1/8" too narrow for the strap. Hence, the question: what is the best way to optimize this can light setup?

So far, I like the idea of ditching both handles and using the light with the Oxycheq sock. I am also thinking of removing the boltsnap from the light as the light is on a cord and I am not worried about losing it. How can this idea fail me? Any suggestions?

The boltsnap that is not optimal for my setup is in the picture below (credit: UWLD).

Thank you!

1693953902328.png

I'm a fan of the razor mounts. I'm with you @mr_v, on getting rid of that boltsnap. I'd move it down the line about an inch and attach it with line.

I use cave line to attach a bungee loop to the strain relief and use the standard working doubleender to hang my EX35.

Howdy everyone,

I have recently purchased UWLD-40 with two Goodman handles: hard and soft. I want to use the light with either hand and the hard handle is a no-go due to trauma on top of one of the hands. Soft handle is it, but it is still a bit clunky to use with reels. The light and the handle have boltsnaps that seem to get in the way and the handles positioning is not ideal. I have also procured Oxycheq light sock, which is great, but the grove in the light is about 1/8" too narrow for the strap. Hence, the question: what is the best way to optimize this can light setup?

So far, I like the idea of ditching both handles and using the light with the Oxycheq sock. I am also thinking of removing the boltsnap from the light as the light is on a cord and I am not worried about losing it. How can this idea fail me? Any suggestions?

The boltsnap that is not optimal for my setup is in the picture below (credit: UWLD).

Thank you!

View attachment 801142
If the trauma is in your right hand, there’s a very convenient solution to this dilemma

I dive the older version of this light, with the soft Goodman handle. You really shouldn’t be using your primary light in both hands, barring a specific trauma in your hand that prevents you from using your left hand. If you wear it on your right hand and you have an out of air buddy, handing off the long hose with 4k lumens shining in their face will significantly hinder your buddy from seeing anything. I think the bolt snap on the light head is meant for those that mount it on a helmet.

For reel work I find a small wide angle light bungeed to the mask strap allows you to work reels and tie offs hands free.

I dive the older version of this light, with the soft Goodman handle. You really shouldn’t be using your primary light in both hands, barring a specific trauma in your hand that prevents you from using your left hand. If you wear it on your right hand and you have an out of air buddy, handing off the long hose with 4k lumens shining in their face will significantly hinder your buddy from seeing anything. I think the bolt snap on the light head is meant for those that mount it on a helmet.

For reel work I find a small wide angle light bungeed to the mask strap allows you to work reels and tie offs hands free.
That's exactly the feedback that I was seeking. Thank you.

So ditch the boltsnap on the light, use the soft Goodman handle or the sock seems to be the solution.

My uwld is in my bag for bonaire tomorrow. I will take a photo. I removed that boltsnap deal immediately and added a dir style double ender loop.
Will post photo this week

Oh, and skip the soft goodman's and socks. Long term a real goodman handle is most ideal imo. I constantly temporarily stow the light while running reels and whatnot. It would be absolutely annoying with anything other than a hard goodman handle. Or scootering. Say you're scootering and need to get to your left pocket or adjust a bottle. Hard goodman, you just hang on your right thumb, dig in your pocket or whatnot, then back on the left hand. Not happening as easily with a sock or soft goodman. I'm a proponent of having your gear set up for any type of diving or setup so that as you advance (say to dpv) you don't have to relearn how to handle your light. I was a right hand light guy for years. When I went to dpv's it was a real headache relearning to keep the light on the left.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom