Goodman Handle thumb loop with Blacktip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisMBC

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
1651513472581.png

I love my Blacktip setup very much, but one thing I've been struggling with is using my right hand to temporary-hold my primary light (cordless, hard Goodman handle) while scooting (mostly for dumping gas from my wing). The traditional solution to this that I see a lot is a hard thumb ring, but that doesn't work for a Blacktip where you use your thumb to hold the trigger.

My current solution involves running a bungee over the light and then hooking that with my index finger, but that gives me very bad control of the light, and I managed to drop the light into the prop one time. No bueno. Does anyone else deal with this better/differently?

Somebody in this forum us developed a firmware that enables cruise mode ie running without button press

Exactly. It's generally referred to as the v2.2 firmware. Load that on your BlackTip and you can turn on the Cruise Control feature. 4 clicks on the trigger and it engages cruise at your current speed setting. A single click will disengage it.

Engage cruise. Use your thumb loop. Disengage cruise, if you feel like it's not a safe thing to use on a scooter.

Info on that firmware is here: Blacktip firmware modifications

I've had it loaded for a while and love it. I think cruise control is very handy. It makes it very easy to switch hands while driving. As well as use my right thumb for a Goodman handle thumb loop.... :) I also really prefer the option it gives to disable Low Speed Migration. If I'm cruising at Speed 1 and stop, I do not want my scooter to start back up at Speed 3. If I was at Speed 1 when I stopped, there was probably a reason I was going so slow...

Somebody in this forum us developed a firmware that enables cruise mode ie running without button press

The updated firmware is based on the 1.18 code base which doesn't work on Blacktips with serial numbers 2700 and higher. But for some reason now I can't find any references to that effect. And Dive-X does not acknowledge the existence of the updated firmware

Back
Top Bottom