Giant Stride Entry causes freeflow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

4 out of 5 divers suggest changing the orientation of the mouthpiece. The 5th diver is already back on the boat after aborting his dive because he had no gas left after entry. Coincidence?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 sugestions:

Depending on where your octo is, stick a finger over the entrance of the mouthpiece when you jump, that will disturb the airflow enough to stop the freeflow.

Alternatively Scubapro sell these nice octo retainers tha actually have a little plug that goes in to the mouthpiece that also does the same thing, one of these
Z

Do you have an adjustable venturi otherwise I would look at the octo scumball type holder or other plug to cover the mouthpiece.

2 sugestions:

Depending on where your octo is, stick a finger over the entrance of the mouthpiece when you jump, that will disturb the airflow enough to stop the freeflow.

Alternatively Scubapro sell these nice octo retainers tha actually have a little plug that goes in to the mouthpiece that also does the same thing, one of these
Z

How on earth do you suggest to cover the mouthpiece with a finger during entry? You should be using hands to secure equipment to your person. Let's just stick a finger into the regulator while jumping in while holding onto your mask, primary reg and anything else that needs be secure!?!?

Besides the fact that the free flow is caused by the diaphragm, not the mouthpiece - your suggestion is impractical as well as erroneous.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When you adjust almost any reg it should start to flow when submerged mouthpiece up in about 1-2inches of water. So I end up squashing the mouthpiece against my chest which will stop any freeflow by providing a trapped bubble to keep the diaphragm inflated and closing the seat if that makes sense.

I'm concerned more about the impact may break something inside the Octo than losing a little bit of air.

Thank all! I will try to turn the mouthpiece down before jump in.

they're quite a bit more durable than that, you're not hitting the water at any sort of real velocity and since you're body is breaking the surface tension it will stay in it's newtonian reactive state instead of becoming a shear hardening fluid, so you're not going to break anything. freeflows on entry are just embarrassing and can actually be dangerous if you're diving when the air temperature is below 40f because the first stages can freeze which is real bad

they're quite a bit more durable than that, you're not hitting the water at any sort of real velocity and since you're body is breaking the surface tension it will stay in it's newtonian reactive state instead of becoming a shear hardening fluid, so you're not going to break anything. freeflows on entry are just embarrassing and can actually be dangerous if you're diving when the air temperature is below 40f because the first stages can freeze which is real bad

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3: and all regulators will freeflow when turned up... :shakehead:

I know a bit about Newtonian fluids but I am not sure how all that fits into a regulator freeflowing. Shear hardening? Never heard of that. Rehology is an interesting study of fluids with many uses and models to predict the movement but sea water is not a shear thinkening fluid, a dilatant fluid would be a shear thickening fluid, seawater is not a dilatant fluid.

A freeflow is going to be something that is caused by a pressure change.

Can you explain a reactive newtonain state? I am not sure what that is.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom