Getting started in vintage diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's one sweet looking DA!

It won't be a DA for much longer...

I was thinking to myself how nice and shiny my cans were, and how my nozzle orifice was getting scuffed from trying the banjo with different sized tank valves- and how nice they would look if I had them refinished to match the cans.. Then I was thinking how nice it would be if my accessory hoses came out of the centerline as well.

So I decided to get a Phoenix nozzle :D That way, I get a new shiny yoke and nozzle :D

:rofl3: The man has gotten a full blow case of vintage fever, addictive aren't they.

Yes. It is.

I'm currently taking photos of my single-hose single-tank regulator setup for sale...

As well as my 30lb singles wing (just because I got a horsecollar instead :D)

I'll know its really bad when I get an oval mask and try sticking corrective lenses inside (around $20 dollars for a mask, and $20 each per lens).

Burning bridges, and not looking back!

Hey Doc Ed, when you're all done getting rigged up why don't you get someone to snap a few photos of you in your new gear getting in the water or better yet under water.
We want to see.

Hey Doc Ed, when you're all done getting rigged up why don't you get someone to snap a few photos of you in your new gear getting in the water or better yet under water.
We want to see.

I guess that means I gotta get myself an oval mask :D

I have a black oval and a clear silicone oval and I prefer the clear one, even though it's not vintage. I can't believe more people don't dive with these ovals since the field of vision is so wide.

I noticed it's a little harder to pinch my nose to equalize, with the oval and double hose combo. But I did figure it out after I practiced it a bit.

I just purchased a Healthways spg with a capillary depth. I'm hoping it comes in this week!

I converted to a Dive Rite BP/W but I still need to figure out how to get my tank lower. It has 2 cambands and slots in the plate. I was thinking of having someone add a camband slot in between the existing two slots, lose the top band and move the bottom one up. That way, my tank and Phoenix will be lower and where it needs to be on the STA.

Any one tried this?

I have a black oval and a clear silicone oval and I prefer the clear one, even though it's not vintage. I can't believe more people don't dive with these ovals since the field of vision is so wide.

I noticed it's a little harder to pinch my nose to equalize, with the oval and double hose combo. But I did figure it out after I practiced it a bit.

I just purchased a Healthways spg with a capillary depth. I'm hoping it comes in this week! I converted to a Dive Rite BP/W but I still need to figure out how to get my tank lower. It has 2 cambands and slots in the plate. I was thinking of having someone add a camband slot in between the existing two slots, lose the top band and move the bottom one up. That way, my tank and Phoenix will be lower and where it needs to be on the STA.

Any one tried this?

Odds are the tube in the guage is clouded up more than you will like, the old plastic did that. It works better if you replace it.

I converted to a Dive Rite BP/W but I still need to figure out how to get my tank lower. It has 2 cambands and slots in the plate. I was thinking of having someone add a camband slot in between the existing two slots, lose the top band and move the bottom one up. That way, my tank and Phoenix will be lower and where it needs to be on the STA.

Any one tried this?

It is widely called :wink: the "Nemrod Mod" and involves doing exactly that. As you have found it is nigh impossible to get the tank positioned correctly with the typical bent metal tech plate:

DSCF0269.jpg

Of course this does not solve all ills as the double hose regulator can will soon run into the plate. The "Nemrod Mod" does not apply only to vintage diving but to any application where the tank/first stage tends to whack the diver in the back of the head and lowering the tank/reg assembly to avoid this results in the upper camband falling off the crown of the tank.

N

It is widely called :wink: the "Nemrod Mod" and involves doing exactly that. As you have found it is nigh impossible to get the tank positioned correctly with the typical bent metal tech plate:

DSCF0269.jpg

Of course this does not solve all ills as the double hose regulator can will soon run into the plate. The "Nemrod Mod" does not apply only to vintage diving but to any application where the tank/first stage tends to whack the diver in the back of the head and lowering the tank/reg assembly to avoid this results in the upper camband falling off the crown of the tank.

N

Love the Nemrod Mod! Well, today I decided to relocate the top cam band down to the slit in the plate and through the wing, instead of the STA. This definitely moved the tank down, but as you just said, the reg ran into the STA, and I still did not get it low enough. I can either whack off the top part of the STA, say maybe 2 inches just above the bolt, or I'm thinking of removing the STA all together. Then again, just as you said the plate will be the next Nemesis......How low does yours sit with your adjustment? How can I get the Nemrod treatment? (Let's keep it clean folks!)

I have no problem hacking that plate up if needed!!! I think we have some ordinance laying around the Museum I could use...I want that tank to drag the ground!!!

Lisa

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom