Getting started in vintage diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Initially, the banjo did NOT want to go on either. In both cases, the tolerances were off by just micrometers. Thoughts of getting a dremmel and slightly grinding down the yoke, or the banjo, or both started dancing through my head.

Fortunately for me, I figured out that with proper pre-placement, and a little "coaxing" with the heel of my hand I was able to get the reg body and banjo on all my valves.

I guess I've got all the common resort valves covered :D

I had exactly the same issue - it was not fitting in barely by micrometers, given I have 10 or so thermo valves and each of them came with an insert I just found few of the inserts that were working with my RAM and the banjo. I found 4 of those 10 were fitting well and put them on my LP66 tanks that I use for diving RAM.

I have been collecting diving gear and books for over 50 years and it is time I reduced the clutter, as my wife says.
I have a number of backpacs, tanks, old fins, maybe a reg or two as well as valves and fittings. If anybody is interested let me know and I will get up a list.

Ben D

Ben, since I can't hit the "like" button more than once, please feel free to post your lovelies on here, and I almost guarantee a sale of some sort. :D Look out Ed, I have my credit card out.....and I'm not afraid to use it :eyebrow:

Lisa

For the sake of discussion, what were the circumstances of this o-ring failure? Was the banjo torqued underwater causing the extrusion, or was it a small diameter o-ring?

We were on a boat dive and had just jumped off the boat. I suspect it might not have been snugg and the force of hitting the water may have jared it loose. We replace the oring on the next dive (just pulled it off and went on time, experience and a close by buddy who knew how to buddy breath for that dive) and it worked the next 2 or 3 days. Don't think he has had any more issues with it. Could of been a tank that just did not work well with it I guess, it was a rented tank from a big dive op so getting it again was unlikely.

... Could of been a tank that just did not work well with it I guess, it was a rented tank from a big dive op so getting it again was unlikely.

Actually, I think that's a worry of mine. Sometimes I see smaller 0-rings with the wrong durometer in the orifice. With the smaller ones, I hear a "snap" as I'm pressurizing the reg (I think part of it is the HP seat on the volcano orifice). When I switch the valve off and start to depressurize, there is a noticeable escape of air at the yoke interface as the pressure drops below 100psi. My take on that is a small o-ring that holds on pressure because it is stretched out, but below its threshold, it allows gas to escape.

I think I'll just replenish my dwindling save-a-dive kit.

I got my cans back today :D

P1010487.jpg

Threw in the body nut and a conshelf box top and ring as well for good measure :D

Some of my other pimping ideas was for a replica label to replace the existing one on my wheel yoke shown here:

Tiretypescrew.jpg

I'll get my engraver to make a small batch of these labels in stainless steel to put on this wheel, 1 for my calypso J, and on the purge button of several of my conshelfs. Ought to be interesting.

Going to be making my harness later and will try it out with my new horsecollar BC. I was thinking of getting a new oval mask out of silicone, but I need prescription lenses (and I don't like wearing contacts) Going through the VDH forum, I saw recommendations for gluing prescription lenses into the oval masks. Maybe eventually, I'll try going down this route

When I was evaluating the mask, I came to the conclusion that I was probably going to end up being eclectic. Yes, I did opt for a harness and horsecollar, rather than my BP/W, but that was because a harness was the optimal way for diving a DH, and by extension, a horsecollar was the best option for a BC. Besides, I'm kind of excited to actually have a pocket on my belly again - as well as a sling for a pony at the base, and a loop for a rifle if I decided to go that route... :D

Time to put my baby together. But first, I'll be making my body nut wrench. Don't want to use a drift this time to whack my newly chromed nut :D

Very nice looking.

I like that yoke round label also.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom