Getting serious about getting Dry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rab

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Well, I was at Scubafest2008 today and talking to the BARE rep, Steve Miller, about dry suits. Since there was so much discussion about dry and supposedly-dry suits at the M&G, I probably should have been paying more attention. Anyway, there is a show special if I order before Thursday so...

I'd like to get your opinions about dry suits and any significant differences that might impact my decision (I went through about 15 pages of thread in the exposure suits forum, but I don't really need to be told about the value of wet v. dry):

Bare v. DUI v. ??
Latex v. Neoprene neck seal (I'm likely to go with neoprene here)
molded-in boots or separate boots (probably going with separate boots)
back-zip or self-donning front-zip (I'm leaning toward the front-zip)

I realize that I'm also going to need new fins so throw me those suggestions, too. I'm a perfect fit for a stock 2XL tri-lam suit, btw. I wear a size 12 shoe.

Any problem with my continuing to use my Zeagle Ranger? (I may switch to bp/w and maybe doubles in the future, but I'd like to spread out the expenses a bit!)

As for undergarments, it seemed like a 200g thinsulate was the right weight for typical Gilboa diving. (Remember, I've been doing Gilboa in a 7mm FJ/J for a few years)

-Rob

Well, I was at Scubafest2008 today and talking to the BARE rep, Steve Miller, about dry suits. Since there was so much discussion about dry and supposedly-dry suits at the M&G, I probably should have been paying more attention. Anyway, there is a show special if I order before Thursday so...

I'd like to get your opinions about dry suits and any significant differences that might impact my decision (I went through about 15 pages of thread in the exposure suits forum, but I don't really need to be told about the value of wet v. dry):

Bare v. DUI v. ??
Latex v. Neoprene neck seal (I'm likely to go with neoprene here)
molded-in boots or separate boots (probably going with separate boots)
back-zip or self-donning front-zip (I'm leaning toward the front-zip)

I realize that I'm also going to need new fins so throw me those suggestions, too. I'm a perfect fit for a stock 2XL tri-lam suit, btw. I wear a size 12 shoe.

Any problem with my continuing to use my Zeagle Ranger? (I may switch to bp/w and maybe doubles in the future, but I'd like to spread out the expenses a bit!)

As for undergarments, it seemed like a 200g thinsulate was the right weight for typical Gilboa diving. (Remember, I've been doing Gilboa in a 7mm FJ/J for a few years)

-Rob

I guess the only question I have is why you want to go with Neoprene seals rather than latex, I'm just curious.

As far as undergarments go, I have the DUI thinsulate liteloft, but this time of year I put in several layers of polypro long johns under it. Seems to help a lot

Back zip is cheaper. I find I am helping a lot of people with their "self donning" front zips.

I wear turbosoles with my DUI. I am using the same size fin with that setup as I do with my wetsuit.

Just get the drysuit, dammit!

Before buying my drysuit I tried a DUI CF200x IIRC and found it sadly didnt keep me dry, as its a very comfy suit on shore. When I did finally purchase a BARE CD4 pro dry I was very pleased. The CD4 pro dry is a rear entry suit and not "self donning" however with piece of rope, I took care of that quite easilly.
Now Im warm, dry and happy as can be without my own compressor :p

I guess the only question I have is why you want to go with Neoprene seals rather than latex, I'm just curious.
I had a discussion with the rep about this. The bottom line was latex is a no-brainer as it works well enough for a variety of sized necks. One result of this is that you'd never see anything but latex on rental or demo gear. Neoprene, when properly sized (and BARE won't do a neck seal without a measurement from a rep/shop) will be more comfortable and help with some warmth, too (something that is understandably non-existent with latex).

As far as undergarments go, I have the DUI thinsulate liteloft, but this time of year I put in several layers of polypro long johns under it. Seems to help a lot
This is similar to my thinking which the rep confirmed. Don't go too heavy because you're stuck with that, but you can always layer a bit.

Back zip is cheaper. I find I am helping a lot of people with their "self donning" front zips.
I just helped someone with a front zip at M&G!

I wear turbosoles with my DUI. I am using the same size fin with that setup as I do with my wetsuit.
That's actually a good bit to know. Not having to get a new set of fins (or buy the boots) has some appeal.

Thanks,
-Rob

Before buying my drysuit I tried a DUI CF200x IIRC and found it sadly didnt keep me dry, as its a very comfy suit on shore. When I did finally purchase a BARE CD4 pro dry I was very pleased. The CD4 pro dry is a rear entry suit and not "self donning" however with piece of rope, I took care of that quite easilly.
Now Im warm, dry and happy as can be without my own compressor :p
I occasionally have trouble with my back wetsuit zipper when it wants to catch on the inner rubber flap. How often do you need a bit of help with your zipper-n-rope arrangement?

Neoprene seals are nice and warm and tend to be more durable and even repairable.

Neoprene seals do not lend themselves well to drygloves and being neoprene they can change properties with depth and may become leakers on deep dives.

Neoprene neck and latex wrists are an option.

Pete

Neoprene seals are nice and warm and tend to be more durable and even repairable.

Neoprene seals do not lend themselves well to drygloves and being neoprene they can change properties with depth and may become leakers on deep dives.

Neoprene neck and latex wrists are an option.

Pete

Only looking at neoprene for the neck seal. Wrist seals will still be latex.

Not looking at dry gloves (yet).

-Rob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom