Getting rid of my combo depth/spg console...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChaosHokie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So, I've decided that I'm sick of my gigantic combo depth/spg console (AquaLung brand if anyone really cares). One of the reasons is I have a Suunto D4 which means I never look at the depth gauge. The other annoying thing is the console is just huge!

My plan is to get rid of the combo console, and just get one of those OMS SPGs that has bar/psi on it, for those trips to other parts of the world....

The question is: do I need to get some sort of backup depth gauge/computer if I go this route?

I'm purely a recreational diver.

The question is: do I need to get some sort of backup depth gauge/computer if I go this route?

I'm purely a recreational diver.

From a safety standpoint,no. If the computer fails on a dive you can just ascend.

If you want to be sure you never have to sit out dives due to a failed computer (e.g liveaboard trip) then an inexpensive backup is a good idea.

Good call on junking the console!

Pop the depth gauge and boot off, and keep the existing SPG. No need to buy a replacement.

keep your console and save yourself some $$$

not trying to hi-jack your thread, but I've been investigating a similar path.

have a analog spg/depth/compass in a console (Suunto or compact version like Cressi Mini 3) with a wrist mounted Subgear XP10

or go with air integrated computer, no wrist mount, no analog stuff...

I'd like to try and keep things simple, but I'm well aware of the possibility of an electronic device failing when you need it most and how a back-up can save your dive and/or your day.

Some will say, have two computers, but I'd say a analog depth gauge and knowing your tables is less expensive.

tough decision to make if you're not sure what to be comfortable with.

I too am only a recreational diver who will probably make 15 dives or less per year so far as I can predict.

The SPG on a 24" high pressure hose, with a bolt snap mounted near the gauge with cave line will serve you well. Many of us then clip the gauge off to the left hip. Since I am a cold water diver I used a larger clip for use with dry gloves. Very streamlined, easy to access, along with many other pluses. One of the bad things about air integrated is you have to power on the wrist gauge to check air pressure while setting up. A simple SPG on the left d-ring simplifies setup for everyone including the boat crew.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom