Getting Around - Taxi - Bike - Walking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rgbfoundry

Registered
Reaction score
I'm considereing staying at a non-AI hotel, so we'll want to go downtown a good bit for meals and shopping. My questions is, what's it like getting around Cozumel.

Bonaire (previous vacation) was really flat. You felt safe walking around the island almost anywhere. Traffic was considerate to pedestrians, and the locals didn't make us feel like "prey" when we walked down the street. (are they out of gas?)

How much is a taxi ride from Casa del Mar to downtown? What are the bike rental options. I don't really want to rent a car since I won't be doing any shore diving.

I've never been to Coz, so I'm hoping some experience folks could tell me how the feel about the whole thing.

Thanks!

You are perfectly safe walking around Cozumel! Taxis are plentiful and reasonably inexpensive. I've got a link somewhere to the fee schedule, I'll look for it. I think the cost is ~$4 for a ride from CDM to the central plaza. I do not advise trying to ride a bicycle on the island, the drivers are a little too aggressive for me and I commute by bike in Los Angeles!

I found the link to the taxi fares: http://www.cozumelinsider.com/transportation/

rgbfoundry:
I'm considereing staying at a non-AI hotel, so we'll want to go downtown a good bit for meals and shopping. My questions is, what's it like getting around Cozumel.

Bonaire (previous vacation) was really flat. You felt safe walking around the island almost anywhere. Traffic was considerate to pedestrians, and the locals didn't make us feel like "prey" when we walked down the street. (are they out of gas?)

How much is a taxi ride from Casa del Mar to downtown? What are the bike rental options. I don't really want to rent a car since I won't be doing any shore diving.

I've never been to Coz, so I'm hoping some experience folks could tell me how the feel about the whole thing.

Thanks!

One of the nice things about Coz is how the locals make you feel welcome. IMO, Cozumel is the safest, most inviting place of any third world country. I rent a car everytime because i enjoy my mobility around the island and feel totally at ease. just watch the speed bumps. ouch.

...the drivers are a little to aggressive for me...

Thanks for the tips! That's exactly the kind of information I was looking for. I'm used to the costs of Thailand taxis, but I'll gladly pay more if my life can be exposed to less risk. Tuk-Tuks are crazy!

The taxis are plentiful. About twice as many as the island needs, maybe three times. I also think that they are agressive (honking and shouting) , rude and expensive. Althought the fare may be four or five or six dollars, you get tired of fighting with them when they try to overcharge. This is the third winter that I have been here. So far this year no taxis and none last year. The quoted price, maybe $4 is certainly reasonable on a weeks vacation. I unfortunatly deal with10-12 weeks.:)
Lotta cab money better used for diving. Currently the waterfront is all torn up and being resurfaced. The buses will destroy it, not enought rebar. Would of been a great pedestrian walkway. Unfortunatly the cruise boat people need cabs as their is no bus system. They won't stop for us. So now the cabs are blasting around the back streets. There are about three new bike shops that are doing some rentals. If you are careful you can deal with the trafic. Stay off the scooters.

enjoy the walk.
don O

rgbfoundry:
...the drivers are a little to aggressive for me...

Thanks for the tips! That's exactly the kind of information I was looking for. I'm used to the costs of Thailand taxis, but I'll gladly pay more if my life can be exposed to less risk. Tuk-Tuks are crazy!

I agree with the other poster - I wouldn't ride a bike on Cozumel or even hire a scooter. The drivers are agressive and I to commute where I live on a bike.

I disagree with the other poster about the taxi's. The driver I had were friendly and the fairs where posted in my hotel. Before getting in a taxi, I'd say "Downtown", the driver said "Si", I'd say "three dollars". the diver would say "Si". No hassel at all.

The fee from the airport to my hotel was posted at $9US and getting to town was $3US.

See my Coz trip repot about my taxi diver "guide"

Have fun - we did

When my wife and I stay in Cozumel we prefer to stay at Scuba Club Cozumel. It's about a mile from there to the heart of san Miguel and we walk everywhere. Everyone we meet on the streets are friendly including locals we would run into, even late at night. We have always felt very safe and walk everywhere. Of course we are there to dive and not to be tourists so we never have to stray to far. Positive side effect- walking is good exercise!

Here are just a couple of tips and comments:

1) The traffic within town can be intimidating, and downright scary at times. The Scooters scare the hell out of me. Especially when you see a family of 4 riding on one scooter. I think that a scooter could be fun, but a lot of tourists end up crashing an bringing home "road rash".

2) I found the taxis to be reasonable most of the time, but the level of training is suspect. The major warning would be to agree to a price BEFORE you get in the taxi. I have seen people haggle successfully. My friend Julie didn't like a quoted price, so she stated her price and got in the cab. End of discussion, and no arguement from the cabbie. Once I felt overcharged, but that was my fault for not agreeing to a price up front.

3) I have stayed at the Hotel Flamingo each time, and it is on Calle 6, less than a block from the main drag at the waterfront (Melgar). That has allowed me to walk to most things, but I have used cabs apon arrival and departure, and the first time carrying gear to the dive shop. After that, I walked to almost everything. I would suspect that setting a price for a cab ride would be even more important if you were coming some distance from a hotel.

4) In the old downtown area there are a coulple streets that are closed to vehicles so walking there is fine, except for some pushy vendors. Traffic eases as you move away from the center of town, and in general the prices drop also.

Enjoy your trip, I wish I was going back soon! However, it is snow ski season, and there are epic amounts in the Sierras right now.

Wristshot

Who turned me in ? Every one knows that I hate the cab drivers down here, so they found me. No damge done, I got some air befor he hit me. Little tuff as his CB antena passed between my legs. Dented the hood real good. The good news is he got out and asked me how I was. I was afraid he would try and get $4 for the ride. How stupid of me, he was stopped at a red light for a right turn two cars back. Still red when I landed.

Walk safely, don O

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom