Genesis Scuba and beginners dive gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaG

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,
My LDS sells a lot of Genesis Scuba gear and currently has the following package for sale.

Genesis Cobra BCD
Genesis GS-2000 Regulator
Genesis React Dive Computer
100cubic ft tank
Genesis Occy

Whats the general opinion of Genesis gear on this board? I've read that Genesis gear is actually rebadged dive gear from other companies? Is this true?

Thanks in advance!

ps. dive weather here in Perth (Australia) is awesome at the moment :)

Overall it's pretty good gear. The GS2000 is made for them by Oceanic (it's basically a Delta) so you are essentially getting an Oceanic at a little cheaper price. I am not a huge fan of their BCs but overall the gear is very well made.

DaG once bubbled...
Hi all,
My LDS sells a lot of Genesis Scuba gear and currently has the following package for sale.

Genesis Cobra BCD
100cubic ft tank
Genesis Occy

Whats the general opinion of Genesis gear on this board? I've read that Genesis gear is actually rebadged dive gear from other companies? Is this true?

Thanks in advance!

I'm not a big fan of their BCs. But, I dive a Backplate so I might be a bit biased.

Their regs seem to be ok, not the best but adequate.

I recently bought a GS2000. Only have about a dozen dives on it. But so far, so good.

Only thing that bugs me, there is a switch on the 2nd stage that I have yet to figure out the purpose of.

I think this equipment will give you many years of good service. The first stage should require very little maintenance and a friend of mine has that BC and loves it. They are very good about standing behind their equipment. JMO
Norm

That unknown switch is actually a lever to move a venturi in the regulator to help prevent free flows when your reg is not in your mouth at the surface. I think the company calls it a Dive/pre-dive switch.

DaG once bubbled...
Hi all,

Genesis Cobra BCD
100cubic ft tank
Genesis Occy

Thanks in advance!

I'm not sure if it's all restamped but I know when I needed support for my Genesis computer I needed to call Oceanic.

As a general rule Genesis gear is ok as long as you don't want to get warranty service outside N. America. Maybe it's ok in Australia but in Europe, for example, no one has ever heard of Genesis and you'll end up mailing it back home to get warranty service....with all the hassles that this causes. Last time it took me 6 weeks and 10 pages of faxes before the Dutch customs would release my computer to me. The actual repair consisted of the service centre sending me a new unit, which probably took them like an hour. If I were still living in Canada (where I bought the computer) I would have dropped off the broken one at the dive shop on Monday and gone diving with the new one on the weekend.

R..

What was the nature of the problem with the Genesis computer? TIA

pescador775 once bubbled...
What was the nature of the problem with the Genesis computer? TIA

I guess this is directed at me. The computer was new and after 5 dives it just bit it under water. After the dive I could hear something rattling around inside the casing (probably a loose screw or something) that had apparently caused a short circuit. I sent it back and they replaced it with a new one.

R..

Back
Top Bottom