Wanted Genesis Manifold Plugs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Probably onemof the most unusual SCUBA service procedures where Bake at 350 is one of the steps. :cool:
I have a small toaster oven in my service truck for exactly that. There are many parts I deal with that start with that step. Also comes in handy for fitting bearings and races on some equipment.

That's really interesting... so does the heat "loosen" the loctite? If it does I didn't know that and I'm cursing a little bit thinking of all the stuff I've ripped apart over the years.

What's the over under that I need to even rebuild these? It does say "never" in the manual... I mean, worst case scenario I get them together and I have a leak, but what would you guys do?

My friend's leaked at the inner junction. So I didn't have to rebuild the valve sections themselves, just the crossbar seals. Whoever did it last didn't bother with the locking compound (at least well) so they came apart pretty easily without the bake. Actually just simple steps - disassemble, remove the (mangled) o-rings, clean, install tribolube/o-rings add thread locker and screw together. If you need to bake, you'll need to pull the isolator valve apart.

You should be able to replace the outer orings easily without tearing down the crossbar assembly - I'd do that at the minimum. Since the Inner seals are assembled and then stay static, they have much less chance of damage.

That's really interesting... so does the heat "loosen" the loctite? If it does I didn't know that and I'm cursing a little bit thinking of all the stuff I've ripped apart over the years.

What's the over under that I need to even rebuild these? It does say "never" in the manual... I mean, worst case scenario I get them together and I have a leak, but what would you guys do?
Blue and red are loosened by heat. Green doesn’t care what you do.
Which manifold are you asking about? The loctite goes on the old junk octagon manifolds

Page 6, section 3, line O
o. Apply three drops of Hernon 472-02®, Loctite 271® or equivalent to encircle thread of each nipple near the end. Install the nipples into the isolator valve.

Well, there you go! I never read the manual. Simply had at it--you know, take it apart, clean its parts, lube, reassemble it as best as I can remember, reassemble doubles, assure no leaks, and go diving.

Thanks. I'll do it correctly the next time. If there is a next time, that is.

rx7diver

Blue and red are loosened by heat. Green doesn’t care what you do.
Which manifold are you asking about? The loctite goes on the old junk octagon manifolds
It's the manifold that goes with these valves in post #7; I guess it's an older junk octagon manifold?

I have (or will have) both sets of Genesis manifolds. @Tracy I know your plugs will work with the other manifolds. So I'll have one older, and 5 "regular" Genesis manifolds to work on.

It's the manifold that goes with these valves in post #7; I guess it's an older junk octagon manifold?

I have (or will have) both sets of Genesis manifolds. @Tracy I know your plugs will work with the other manifolds. So I'll have one older, and 5 "regular" Genesis manifolds to work on.
The standard round genesis manifolds are of good quality and construction. I don't like them personally as I don't like my regs tilted. That is just personal preference. They are a good solid manifold.
The octagon ones are steel on steel seals. A good jar to either tank will start them leaking. That design is the reason we are still stuck with an isolator knob on our doubles.

The standard round genesis manifolds are of good quality and construction. I don't like them personally as I don't like my regs tilted. That is just personal preference. They are a good solid manifold.
The octagon ones are steel on steel seals. A good jar to either tank will start them leaking. That design is the reason we are still stuck with an isolator knob on our doubles.
I have dove with the angled manifolds before. It's not my preference, but it didn't seem to effect me in any way.. I think for me it's more of an OCD thing. I like my right angles and they just don't look right to me.

Any idea what the thought process was behind an angled manifold?

I have dove with the angled manifolds before. It's not my preference, but it didn't seem to effect me in any way.. I think for me it's more of an OCD thing. I like my right angles and they just don't look right to me.

Any idea what the thought process was behind an angled manifold?
less strain on the hoses

less strain on the hoses
Is that a real thing in today's day and age, or were regulators built different years ago? I'm not following how unless hose routing has changed somehow?

I don't feel that way about my regular manifold, hoses seem ok.

Back
Top Bottom