Genesis 2.2 vs Seacraft vs Magnus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, are you saying that you do experience some torque that you have to counter, when driving a Genesis?

On the Reverse thing, I was just wondering at what point having it in Reverse would cause the prop to pull hard enough to break the magnetic coupling and pull itself right out of the scooter. I guess with the Seacraft stator, the stator might prevent that from happening. At least up to the point that the thrust was enough to break the stator out of its mounting points.

yes, and it is recommended on their website that you order the second handle if you have to run the big ones at full speed for a very long time due to diver fatigue.
Again, I can't see a time when you would put a DPV in reverse, heaven forbid doing it at full speed so that gear would be set like your vehicle where it is limited to low speed.

@tbone1004 - it also seems like it would be cool if scooters had a small external weight that you could move. You could have it on the bottom of the scooter for normal operation - so the handle would orient up. But, for example, if you were going to tow it in a cave, you could move the weight to the 3:00 position, so that the scooter would float with the handle at the 3:00 position. Or put it in the 12:00 position, so the scooter would orient with the handle down, between your legs?

Don't want handle down, then it has the risk of catching on stuff. When these things are actually properly engineered in something like Solidworks like the Genesis, Seacraft, DiveX scooters all are, they can offset the weight ever so slightly so that it hangs out at 3 o'clock. These things are sensitive to grams, so it wouldn't take much to get it to rotate over without causing any real strain to the diver. Movable weight would be annoying to deal with, wouldn't want that

Blacktip is loud compared to seacraft for any given speed and has a higher pitch to it where the seacraft has more of a hum. The seacraft does make quite a bit of noise when at ludicrous speed, but its mostly propwash motor is still quiet.

Blacktip is loud compared to seacraft for any given speed and has a higher pitch to it where the seacraft has more of a hum. The seacraft does make quite a bit of noise when at ludicrous speed, but its mostly propwash motor is still quiet.

Just to be sure, you are talking about a BlackTip with any of the firmware other than the original, right? With the original firmware, they were not quiet. With the later firmware, they are almost silent.

If you comparing against current firmware, then the Seascraft must be almost absolutely silent. That is awesome!

I don't care if I hear propwash at ludicrous speed. At plaid speed, I would like for it to sound like it's playing the Ride of the Valkyries, please.

Don't want handle down, then it has the risk of catching on stuff. When these things are actually properly engineered in something like Solidworks like the Genesis, Seacraft, DiveX scooters all are, they can offset the weight ever so slightly so that it hangs out at 3 o'clock. These things are sensitive to grams, so it wouldn't take much to get it to rotate over without causing any real strain to the diver. Movable weight would be annoying to deal with, wouldn't want that

You made a case for the handle at 3:00 - for towing in a cave. Is there any other scenario where that is actually preferable to having it float with the handle upright?

Just to be sure, you are talking about a BlackTip with any of the firmware other than the original, right? With the original firmware, they were not quiet. With the later firmware, they are almost silent.

If you comparing against current firmware, then the Seascraft must be almost absolutely silent. That is awesome!

I don't care if I hear propwash at ludicrous speed. At plaid speed, I would like for it to sound like it's playing the Ride of the Valkyries, please.

Not sure on the blacktips firmware being updated or not just what i have heard next to someone with one. I know I still want to get a blacktip cause it'll suck alot less to lose it so I'll use it more....something to consider.

You made a case for the handle at 3:00 - for towing in a cave. Is there any other scenario where that is actually preferable to having it float with the handle upright?

Not any real strong ones if there is true 0 rotational torque on the body, but I will say that it would be a deal breaker for me when evaluating a tow scooter as I'm sure it would be for many others. Not that I know anyone with a pair of Seacrafts, but that's besides the point. I can't think of any real downsides of having them float at 3 o'clock either though.

You're saying you can drive it without the charge port cover. Your website says this: ...

Yes. Out of the water the cover will enable the motor controller (as well as in the water while keeping the pins dry). If you forget the plug cover at home or lose it, no big deal, dive it for the rest of your trip and order a new one when you get home. You can actually enable the motor controller for testing, by just placing your finger on the charge plug pins.

... I'd love to see @Jon Nellis implement some stator type situation in the next generation of the Genesis...

tbone apparently skipped over the Genesis 2.0 page on his way to the options page. The Genesis 2.0 has had inlet guide vanes to remove prop torque for about a year and a half. Zero torque on the diver at any speed, even on the SW, and nothing in the way if you need to remove the prop. ...but thanks for pointing out that verbiage on the options page, it's gone now.

@Jon Nellis I could have sworn you did something like that a few years ago, but when I saw it on the website I figured I was going crazy.... I am on my way down to cave country this week so I may need to go borrow a genesis from @Superlyte27 since I haven't had any trigger time on any of the new ones.

Yes. Out of the water the cover will enable the motor controller (as well as in the water while keeping the pins dry). If you forget the plug cover at home or lose it, no big deal, dive it for the rest of your trip and order a new one when you get home. You can actually enable the motor controller for testing, by just placing your finger on the charge plug pins..

As someone who doesn't know your scooters, other than the web page info, I have to say that the verbiage "the motor controller will not be enabled to run" says to me that the scooter will not run. From what you are saying it means something different.

What is the difference between "the motor controller will run" and "the motor will run"?

The Genesis 2.0 has had inlet guide vanes to remove prop torque for about a year and a half. Zero torque on the diver at any speed, even on the SW, and nothing in the way if you need to remove the prop. ...but thanks for pointing out that verbiage on the options page, it's gone now.

I think I've read elsewhere that the standard Genesis floats with the handle at 3:00.

So, if you're driving along and do something to lock the throttle on, and you just let go, the handle will rotate to 3:00 and stay there? Meanwhile, the scooter just keeps driving along?

Your website verbiage about those vanes and zero torque AND the Seacraft verbiage about their post-swirl stator all just sound like witchcraft. Or, at least, exaggeration. Clearly, I have now seen video that convinced me that the Seacraft magic is real and works.

I've read enough of your posts that (for a change LOL) I am willing to believe you without asking for a video showing it. :) That is really cool!

Any chance you'll come out with a way to plug an E/O cord into a Genesis to run lights or something off the scooter's Warp Core during a dive?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom