gearing up for fundies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cbfin:
Another tip regarding the class, don't make any major gear changes halfway through.

Don't do that immediately prior to the class either. IMO, get ~20 dives in whatever gear config you're going to use for the class first.

Well, I've got six weeks to do that, assuming I can catch Bob right after he comes back from Bonaire.

good point!!!!

lamont:
Don't do that immediately prior to the class either. IMO, get ~20 dives in whatever gear config you're going to use for the class first.

Yea, but I'm in NORTH Florida. We see winter air temps in the teens regularly. And those 68 degree springs feel like a hot tub! If I lived down in the keys or Miami, it might be a different story.

Oh, and I didn't gro up with a snowblower, just a FAT snow shovel, and a strong back.

piikki:
Are some tanks more DIR than others?
Yes...The ones that match your snorkel.

piikki:
Are some tanks more DIR than others?

I don't claim to be DIR, but the correct tank is the one that provides you with a balanced rig. In some cases, the AL80 is absolutely the correct tank. In other cases, the Steel LP104 is the correct tank.

What I have read on more than one occasion, is that the HP Steel tanks tend not to be favored. Apparently there is some feeling that the very high pressure of the gas in the tanks, causes undue strain on gear (manifolds, first stages, etc.) so low pressure steels tend to be favored. Also, their size is favorable so that you don't have to pump them up to get a good amount of gas in the tank.

When I go this route, I'll probably buy a LP95 or something just over 100cuft. This will give plenty of air, and favorable buoyancy characteristics. And when I am ready to go to doubles, they will provide a really nice size tank for that.

PerroneFord:
I don't claim to be DIR, but the correct tank is the one that provides you with a balanced rig. In some cases, the AL80 is absolutely the correct tank. In other cases, the Steel LP104 is the correct tank.

What I have read on more than one occasion, is that the HP Steel tanks tend not to be favored. Apparently there is some feeling that the very high pressure of the gas in the tanks, causes undue strain on gear (manifolds, first stages, etc.) so low pressure steels tend to be favored. Also, their size is favorable so that you don't have to pump them up to get a good amount of gas in the tank.

When I go this route, I'll probably buy a LP95 or something just over 100cuft. This will give plenty of air, and favorable buoyancy characteristics. And when I am ready to go to doubles, they will provide a really nice size tank for that.

Thanks for your explanation Perrone. I had started suspecting something from the strong (neg) response I get from some ppl on the board when I even mention what tanks I have... :wink: I think there might even be a pecking order between HPs.

The balanced issue I get, the strain issue is a bit beyond me. I am from Europe... if that excuses me any, and since I would not plan to do strenous environments I wonder why woulnd't HP be the first choice for some environs? Or is it just categorically so that eg no manifold/first stage today is meant to take these pressures?? That as a rule they fail way too often with HPs? (Like how often I wonder - honestly I have no clue. Are we talking about increasing the risk from 0.001 to 0.00118 in the harshest conditions, and it would really mean something to very chosen group of divers?) If I understood correctly HP is not the choice because it's more failure-inducing/prone?

.. oh yeah, this does still relate to the topic. I do not want to continue buying gear I would need to get rid off! But I love my HPs! And it's very very unlikely you ever see doubles on my wrecked back, so this is the way I can get the most air on me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom