gearing up for fundies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PerroneFord:
Well, I hope they won't frown on my 5ft hose routed under my arm and wrapped. If I have to use a 7ft, then I'll just use a mask pocket or something.

I'm not familiar with using a 5ft hose, but I do believe that the under arm then wrapped is the correct way. :14:

PerroneFord:
Where I'm diving? You think I need a can light in the pool? :D

I assume Doc meant TSandM. You live in FL, land of great diving. :D

*Edit - I'm batting 1000 today...

As I remember, many DIR guys are arguing that the standard and teaching curriculum are identical no matter where we take the class.

If then, why isn't there the pre-setup equipment requirement for the fundi before asking to the instructor?

Hoosier, I suspect that's because the initial outlay for full DIR gear is nearly $3k with the light, or about $1500-$2k without. Asking EVERY student who's interested in taking a fundies course to shell out that kind of cash would SEVERLY limit an already small pool of interested students.

Doc Intrepid:
You're striding all too purposefully down the path leading to the dark side... :D

WHAT?? Who's spreading rumors about me! I'm just your everyday average joe looking to learn about diving... :)

hoosier:
As I remember, many DIR guys are arguing that the standard and teaching curriculum are identical no matter where we take the class.

If then, why isn't there the pre-setup equipment requirement for the fundi before asking to the instructor?
Read it here:
http://www.gue.com/classroom/dirfund.shtml

It's just that individual instructors may interpret these requirements in cases where specific questions exist.

Yes, I'm taking DIR-F in November.

I have a can light, but it's not an approved can light . . . it's the Nite Rider HID, which doesn't have a focusable light head, and has a square canister (not an issue at depths I'm ever going to reach!)

I'm borrowing the BP/W and reg with the long hose, and will have October to get used to the setup.

I have to get some non-split fins soon.

Unfortunately, my husband thinks this whole thing is utter madness, so any significant expense simply to take a class he doesn't really think I should take in the first place would be hard to get by him!

PerroneFord:
Hoosier, I suspect that's because the initial outlay for full DIR gear is nearly $3k with the light, or about $1500-$2k without. Asking EVERY student who's interested in taking a fundies course to shell out that kind of cash would SEVERLY limit an already small pool of interested students.

$1500 to $2000? What do you use for a drysuit; garbage bags and duct tape? PM the plans to me, please. :D

TSandM:
I have a can light, but it's not an approved can light . . . it's the Nite Rider HID, which doesn't have a focusable light head, and has a square canister (not an issue at depths I'm ever going to reach!)QUOTE]

The only issue with the Nite Rider is the slip-on clip itself. I used one during my 1st day of class. The hose fits under it with no problem but when I pulled on the long hose to ensure it was fully seated, it popped the battery off my belt. If you use it for the class, you may want to put a hose clamp or something along the bottom of the clip so it can only be threaded on the belt.

Just a little suggestion from someone who took DIR-F recently.
Leave the gear that isn't really required on shore. If you don't need the light because of poor conditions, leave it on shore too. The more stuff you carry, the easier it gets to lose control of them. :wink:

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom