gearing up for fundies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry, I am not trying to become the dominatrix of the thread but may I ask another question? Which knives are more DIR than others? They probably don't them knives in the pool but I've decided to get a knife after resisting it all summer (trusting my finders-keepers EMT shears), and then I stumbled upon Jonnythan selling his knife thread - because it was unacceptable... What's wrong with you? Everytime I do a search bump into you :wink: By now I am pretty sure I've bumped into you in the shop too - who else would utter the word 'scubatoys' with such a quiver in the voice anyways :wink: I am just slow to connect the dots.

Any $2 knife from wal-mart will do the job, just break off the tip so it is blunt. Do a search for DIR knife sheath and I'm sure you'll find a thread on how to make (or buy an inexpensive one).

If you serach DIY forum, they have the threads. But, I am not sure it is worth for DIY. Barry at Salvodiving sells it at $20. Tobin at Deeseasupply asks $16 for it.

hoosier:
If you serach DIY forum, they have the threads. But, I am not sure it is worth for DIY. Barry at Salvodiving sells it at $20. Tobin at Deeseasupply asks $16 for it.
The sewing is the PITA. Buy the first one with a sheath, and if you lose the knife, just go the DIY route for the replacement.

piikki:
Yeah, I was thinking about not getting too worried about this. Then again getting some Fabers 'stamped' might just be easier if there is some special procedure available (and if employer was to pay hauling them there... I do hope they give me my own compressor as a welcome back gift if I ever go back...

I have educate you a bit though. There is such a thing as Europe but no such thing as European pricing. Steel is common yes but prices vary drastically depending on the country we are talking about. Noway would I get two tanks or even one for the price of a steel tank here in my corner of the Europe (Scand). I do not remember exact prices but last I checked HP80 ran over 300 euros a piece nearby my home town. Hardly a bargain when mine was 249 in dollars at LDS here... And we don't just pop over borders there to get a bargain either because despite European Union it still aint no United States :)

Just that you would not envy (all of us) too much, I bet there are some lucky bums on the continent there!
Thank you for the quick education but you're knocking on the wrong door here. I immigrated to Canada from Germany 4 1/2 years ago so I'm fairly informed about Europe. :)
The fact that I left Europe should tell you how much I envy you over there.:wink:
Maybe in Scandinavia you don't have tank manufacturers and this is the reason why they are so expensive? In Germany, there are 2 companies making steel tanks and a 10 litre steel tank went for around 200 German Mark (Yeah, when I left Europe, I still had Deutsche Mark) which were around US $140-150. Even with the price hike after switching to Euro$, they should still be cheaper than here.
I'm not sure whether you'd need a EU stamp or a stamp of your country on the tank as the EEC has new rules every other day. If a EEC stamp is the only one required, you may look to other European countries to get your tank from. Maybe a stop over in Germany on your way home? :wink:
Now, guess why I didn't bring any tanks over with me. :D

aquaoren:
Thank you for the quick education but you're knocking on the wrong door here. I immigrated to Canada from Germany 4 1/2 years ago so I'm fairly informed about Europe. :)/QUOTE]

I think I should get the belt with the buckle now, you should particularly know not to say "steel tanks are cheaper in Europe" then!! But let's not go there, it's the same old foreigner-to-American -exchange: "Are you American?? You know I've been to NYC once!!! Do you know Jim and his family from there?" It's too large an area to lump into a statement like that IMHO. But I admit I am more acutely aware of these issues because I come from the peripheria, AND also lived in Great Britain for years, and boy was that different in some aspects (AND expensive). But no bad blood!

<<The fact that I left Europe should tell you how much I envy you over there.:wink:
Maybe in Scandinavia you don't have tank manufacturers and this is the reason why they are so expensive?>>

Poseidon makes'em but as I just started diving I am not too informed of the diving in the cold north. I just checked some prices at one point when consdiering diving during visit back to family... Whee...

<<In Germany, there are 2 companies making steel tanks and a 10 litre steel tank went for around 200 German Mark (Yeah, when I left Europe, I still had Deutsche Mark) which were around US $140-150. Even with the price hike after switching to Euro$, they should still be cheaper than here.>>

What are the German companies? I am such a newbie I know of only Italians and Swedes.

<<I'm not sure whether you'd need a EU stamp or a stamp of your country on the tank as the EEC has new rules every other day. If a EEC stamp is the only one required, you may look to other European countries to get your tank from. Maybe a stop over in Germany on your way home? :wink:
Now, guess why I didn't bring any tanks over with me. :D>>

Yeah talk about those changes... I don't dare to look up if my cats will be 'lucky to live old' and retire with me one day. Inside EU things must be easier by now (yes, I left before Euro do, and am feeling like a retard talking about marks and crowns and stuff, I was learning pounds when swap-over happened).

Price-wise I barely brought anything over with me. And you people complain about gas. Try 6.5 euros....
Cheers :)

I somehow don't think that Poseidon makes these tanks themselfs. They are mostlikely only reselling them under their name. I think these tanks are made by Faber but I may be wrong.
The 2 German tank manufacturer are Mannesmann and Apolda but they are sold under many different names.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom