Gear returned from servicing with issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I personally do my research and get my gear to Certified service pros that actually know what they're doing and will stand behind any error if it ever happens...
In my case(s), I have always taken the gear to a shop that had certified techs for those brands. When Alec Peirce was doing the service, it was top notch and I never had any issues. When new techs were trained, there were too many issues close together. I went elsewhere, but I'm sure it's better again so many years later.

Certified techs still only finger-tightened the ziptie on the mouthpiece - twice in a row.

They still left the inflator hose only partially tightened - twice.

A certified tech at another shop still left the diaphragm folded over.

Another certified tech at yet another shop also only finger-tightened the ziptie on the mouthpiece.

That one offered to replace the mouthpiece last year.
That was not the point of informing them.

In my case(s), I have always taken the gear to a shop that had certified techs for those brands.

They still only finger-tightened the ziptie on the mouthpiece - twice in a row.

They still left the inflator hose only partially tightened - twice.

Another certified tech at another shop also only finger-tightened the ziptie on the mouthpiece.

That one offered to replace the mouthpiece last year.
That was not the point of informing them.

Most local shops do not do enough gear service to provide for an adequate level of experience for most technicians. Being a "certified tech" is not that hard to attain. Doing it full-time as a career is another thing entirely. I choose the later.

Most local shops do not do enough gear service to provide for an adequate level of experience for most technicians. Being a "certified tech" is not that hard to attain. Doing it full-time as a career is another thing entirely. I choose the later.
Since you quoted my post specifically, all 3 shops are some of the best known shops in the Toronto area as well as Ontario, and there aren't that many. Each of them do a lot of gear service year round and the servicing was done by a full time tech.

Guess what? Certified technicians who are extremely busy do sloppy work sometimes. It happens.

Since you quoted my post specifically, all 3 shops are some of the best known shops in the Toronto area as well as Ontario, and there aren't that many. Each of them do a lot of gear service year round and the servicing was done by a full time tech.

Guess what? Certified technicians who are extremely busy do sloppy work sometimes. It happens.

You seem to put a lot of emphasis on ‘certified techs’. You may want to expand your criteria.

EDIT: You seem to be taking my comments personally. They weren't intended to be. Your post just triggered a point I wanted to make. Being a "certified tech" is a very low bar. I know many a certified tech that I wouldn't let anywhere near my regs. I've found that very few shops have enough volume and too much turnover to allow their reg techs to be experienced and truly exceptional. Something to take into account when you select who does your reg service. Just a point to consider.

You seem to put a lot of emphasis on ‘certified techs’. You may want to expand your criteria.

EDIT: You seem to be taking my comments personally. They weren't intended to be. Your post just triggered a point I wanted to make. Being a "certified tech" is a very low bar. I know many a certified tech that I wouldn't let anywhere near my regs. I've found that very few shops have enough volume and too much turnover to allow their reg techs to be experienced and truly exceptional. Something to take into account when you select who does your reg service. Just a point to consider.
Nah, I replied to el Diablo who implied that taking the gear to "certified service pros" would eliminate the issue. See above my post that you quoted which was a reply to el Diablo.

You then quoted my reply and mentioned full-time, and I replied that those 3 techs were full-time.

I agree that many techs probably don't develop enough experience or expertise and it's hard to find long-term reliable ones. Being full-time and experienced doesn't absolve them of making mistakes, however, and there may be a trade-off between quality service and how busy they are.

Overworked and underpaid?
You get what you pay for.
The best I’ve seen are usually the old guys in back that have been at for years, or the owner himself/herself who has been in scuba a long time and knows the business depends on the best work with no stupid mistakes.
Hire hire the green horn to work the floor and register, not servicing regs.
Great service work gets a “thank you, see you next time”.
Horrible service work gets a rant to 20 people plus a whole write up on scubaboard.

Overworked and underpaid?
You get what you pay for.
The best I’ve seen are usually the old guys in back that have been at for years, or the owner himself/herself who has been in scuba a long time and knows the business depends on the best work with no stupid mistakes.
Hire hire the green horn to work the floor and register, not servicing regs.
Great service work gets a “thank you, see you next time”.
Horrible service work gets a rant to 20 people plus a whole write up on scubaboard.
I know a guy who often sends a lot of photos of regulators waiting for maintenance and says "I'm going to die of fatigue" or "busy busy busy". I think he is showing off.
1676010864854.png

LDS should accept the work within its ability, not reduce the quality to complete the order.
1676010251392.png
1676010264454.png

If someone's equipment is f**ked up by technicians, please tell everyone in the SB.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom