Gear returned from servicing with issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Landau

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
It just happened to me. Sent my drysuit in to Bare (via my LDS) to get a quickneck and new boots installed.

First dive afterwards I descended to 8 m, went to adjust my dump valve and it came unscrewed in my hand. The inner portion slid over a bit so I couldn't get it rethreaded and tightened at depth or easily at the surface, with lots of water pouring in each time I tried. I'm assuming they took it off and never retightened it correctly.

Needed to swim back to shore while holding the valve in place, where I could get my shoulder high enough above water so I could easily adjust the inner portion without more water coming in and screw it back together. Swam back out and completed a cold, wet dive as the water migrated all around my suit. At the end of the dive only my feet and right arm were dry. Walking back to the parking lot saw water run down to my feet and get them soaked too. I dumped out a couple litres of water and still had very heavy soaked undergarments.

The good news is after a thorough drying the suit is now leak free and better than ever.

Moral of the story - check your gear after servicing - especially if you are about to head out on a trip.

I should add that all the servicing my LDS has done in-house on my regs has been flawless, never an issue with them.

Another example of how the mantra of "only have your dive-gear serviced by a certified professional / local dive shop" that is heavily pushed in scuba-courses, is perhaps a little misleading.

Some of the guys here on ScubaBoard, I'd trust a lot more than some random dude paid $20/hr who has to crank out a bunch of regs in a week. (Also considering some experiences I've had with LDS screwing me over on a tank)

i had my wifes regs come back with a loose nut that holds the 1st stage yoke in place. we found out right before entering a cenote when we pressurized her system to test. luckily the guide had a wrench that fit well enought to tighten it. when i notified the shop that had done the repair, they offered no explanation. but it was clearly not even tested before being sent out.

Regs coming back from servicing with issues is why I learned to service my own.
While I am a big fan of servicing my own gear (I service my own as well), I am also a big fan of sending it off to someone who does it day in and day out.

Sometimes that's the manufacturer.

Sometimes that one of a few shops that service regs for government contracts.

The government contracts guys get steady work, enough to keep them busy while not task loading them, and enough that they get refresher training on a regular basis.

If a diver is mechanical, doing their own work is a cinch, but if they don't understand why you screw the thingy in until it just touches, then back out 1/2 turn, maybe finding a trustworthy service provider is a better option.

When a LDS left the 2nd stage diaphragm out after overhauling and "certifying " my reg, I said never again and learned to repair my own.

While I am a big fan of servicing my own gear (I service my own as well), I am also a big fan of sending it off to someone who does it day in and day out.
It's likely the dive shop that used to service my regs--a big well-known outfit that sold that reg brand--did it day in and day out. But maybe one day the guy hadn't gotten enough sleep, or they were really busy and had someone else service them. There's no way for a customer to know. I had regs come back twice from them with issues--in two different years. That's when I decided the only way to be certain was to learn to service my own. Dive shop personnel work under time constraints; I can take all the time in the world to make sure my regs are done correctly.
If a diver is mechanical, doing their own work is a cinch, but if they don't understand why you screw the thingy in until it just touches, then back out 1/2 turn, maybe finding a trustworthy service provider is a better option.
Absolutely. I would advise anyone who wants to service their own regs to take a training course that goes beyond what's in the servicing manual and gets into the "why" aspects. Rob Singler's course, for example.

Back on the original topic of checking gear that comes back from servicing before you rely on it during a dive, I want to thank the OP for reminding us of this. I wouldn't have thought to have checked my drysuit exhaust valve. I am not planning to learn to service my own drysuit.

When a LDS left the 2nd stage diaphragm out after overhauling and "certifying " my reg, I said never again and learned to repair my own.
mine came back folded over - but same end result. I service my own now.

And people attack me for saying that being able to have a reg serviced anywhere in the world is a significant plus.

This doesn't surprise me. If you have your reg serviced by your LDS, know who the tech is and decide if you trust that person servicing your gear. Next option is to mail it to someone who you trust will do the job right. Or do it yourself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom