Gear returned from servicing with issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, back to my point, it's fine for a DIY to do their own work, as long as no one else gets hurt, but a pro might have a trick or 2 that they learned because they do it day in, day out.

Like Loc-tite. Threadblocker Blue 242 would have solved this problem.
....but $800? They didn't even need parts, I had extra bolts and lock-washers.

I asked. They didn't say they were doing something else. I knew what the exhaust actually needed, and was missing, which was a flex-tube, which I eventually got a year later when I was less broke.

As soon as you said “modified” and “lowered” I saw the shop in question hold up a cross to your car, lol!
Even at $100 an hour that $800 means a whole day of labor and the “estimate” was probably more like a quote. They absolutely did not want to work on your car and it sounds like their prayer was answered.
The correct and honest thing to say then would be "we don't want to work on this." Not, "we're going to try to cheat you."

It would be like dive-shops charging SideMount divers double for service, because they think SideMount divers are slow and annoying.

So they can screw and unscrew a regulator first stage yoke or din from a valve, turn on and off a tank valve, zip their drysuit and unzip, carry their tanks to/from dive site, connect and disconnect a LP BC power inflator hose, they can put the BC straps on a tank and secure it, etc. but they can't turn a valve cover to make sure it is situated and tightened properly??? They can't check the hoses on their regulator and make sure that they are secured on the first and second stages?? They can't check the valves on their BC's to make sure they aren't loose? So people who have "save a dive kit" with some sort of a wrench or multi-tool are carrying them to pick their teeth?

Give me a break, give a reasonable argument here.

It is ironic that the people taking a side against a very freakin simple task, checking a valve, are some of the most ardent supporters of DIY for regulator service who keep preaching it to everyone who even hints at buying a regulator on SB.
Setting a reg up on a tank, setting up the BC on a tank, turning the air on, checking tank pressure, purging both regulators, making sure weight systems work, checking the inflator on the BC, all this is part of open water training and some of it is part of BWRAF, at least it was in mine.
Tightening an HP or LP hose, replacing O-rings from a save-a-dive kit, or using a multi tool are not.
Either is dump valve maintenance or trouble shooting.
Many people have no idea of how snug hoses need to be, some hoses can’t be checked because of hose protectors which are beyond the capabilities of some people to pull back. Most people don’t have a clue about what IP is or how to check it.

The correct and honest thing to say then would be "we don't want to work on this." Not, "we're going to try to cheat you."

It would be like dive-shops charging SideMount divers double for service, because they think SideMount divers are slow and annoying.
I totally agree, I think it’s insulting when shops do that. I used to be in the business. They can just politely say they don’t want to work on it.
I’ve seen where people give ridiculous estimates on work they don’t want to do hoping it scares the customer away and instead they ask “when can you start”!

There are many dive centers out there and many 'professionals' that aren't the best at what they do in every branch. Scuba Diving is not an exception.

I personally do my research and get my gear to Certified service pros that actually know what they're doing and will stand behind any error if it ever happens. I value my scarse free time far too much to have to service my own gear.

Nothing against servicing your own gear if you've taken enough care to learn how to do it and invested in the right tools for it but besides what many advertise here, folks trying to save a few dollars make far more mistakes & much more often than people doing this for a living.

As the author mentioned, try your gear before diving, freshly serviced or not!

It depends on the software engineer. I know guys whom I'd trust more than any mechanic as they are incredibly meticulous and they build all sorts of stuff with their hands. You'd be surprised that some software geeks are incredibly mechanically inclined.

I'm not disparaging trades. If I was getting out of high school right now, that's the career path I would take.

I can only speak about my area, but I've seen a lot of minimum wage paid kids trained to service regs who really do not care. I don't want them servicing my regs.

As they say, pay peanuts, expect monkeys.
Thank you for standing up for us Software Engineers.

I got into computers by being fascinated with electronics. As kid, if I could take it apart and put it back together, I did. I taught myself how to build computers in the early 90's before everything was plug and play by studying manuals (which were a lot thicker back then). I worked as a service tech, repairing laptops and computers. Eventually this translated into network engineering and my boredom led me to software development. I also taught myself how to assemble 100+mph FPV drones and program the flight controllers by buying all parts piece by piece.

I constantly see divers with regulator problems on their dives after getting serviced. In fact, my reg is back in for service since it was free flowing before getting in the water the other day. The tech called me this morning and asked me if my primary regulator was the one with the necklace... oh boy... I know there's a way to adjust the flow, but I paid them to service it, so I expect them to fix it.

The tech called me this morning and asked me if my primary regulator was the one with the necklace...
That's how you keep it in your mouth when you wear it. Like your mask strap, you know?

Just curious, if the LDS hasn't done their job well, can the customer claim compensation? Whether pre-dive check is required or not. The LDS should take the responsibility, right?
(by the way I agree the pre-dive check is beneficial. On the other hand, I think credibility is the life of a LDS, and return gear with issue is unforgivable.)

Back
Top Bottom