Gear returned from servicing with issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have never had a problem with serviced regs, and in the minority, are those that do
and then I double check all my gear a few days out and then the day before the dive
I'm sure I wear my regs out more leaving them pressurised testing than when diving
and that's after testing them whilst washing

What is the percentage of shops that screw up gear as opposed to shops that consistently do a great job,
Anybody know?
All we ever hear about are the times somebody got screwed or a shop screwed up a service.
It makes it sound like most shops are incompetent imbeciles, but I’ll bet there are more good shops than bad shops.

What is the percentage of shops that screw up gear as opposed to shops that consistently do a great job,
Anybody know?
All we ever hear about are the times somebody got screwed or a shop screwed up a service.
It makes it sound like most shops are incompetent imbeciles, but I’ll bet there are more good shops than bad shops.
You know there is no data for that. Those of us commenting on SB are not statistically significant. Maybe people like me are unlucky who had 3 shops screw up servicing my regs. When it comes to statistics though, what do you consider the person with median intelligence? :wink:

Sent my drysuit in to Bare (via my LDS) to get a quickneck and new boots installed.

First dive afterwards I descended to 8 m, went to adjust my dump valve and it came unscrewed in my hand. The inner portion slid over a bit so I couldn't get it rethreaded and tightened at depth or easily at the surface, with lots of water pouring in each time I tried. I'm assuming they took it off and never retightened it correctly.
Moral of the story - check your gear after servicing - especially if you are about to head out on a trip.

First, your are assuming that "they" never "re-tightened the valve which isn't fair. Second, it is your job to check your equipment BEFORE going in the water, not them. You are really the person to blame for the issue that occurred underwater with the valve. Equipment check is part of every single diver training course out there. It is part of basic training.

I know that it is fashionable for many on SB to bitsh about the LDS and the service they are getting but one needs to take charge of their equipment and test everything before they leave the LDS or as soon as they receive it. To actually have equipment serviced and take it on blind faith on a trip without testing it first at the LDS or home prior to the trip, it is the fault of the owner, at least the owner takes the major blame.

Now for the good folks who are advocating "DIY" when it comes to regulator service, how many of you screw up the service especially the folks who only own a set or two and only get to do the service once every a year or two? You can't possibly accumulate experience and know-how by doing the service on "rare" occasions. I believe that there is higher percentage of screw ups with DIY service than there is with LDS service.

(I have to start a whole new thread concerning this point I think).

Not all shops/professionals are created equal. And LDS is not always the best option.
Nunh unh... I've had a few of them tell me they were not just the best, but my ONLY option... They must be right. They have a ScubPro sign right there...

To actually have equipment serviced and take it on blind faith on a trip without testing it first at the LDS or home prior to the trip, it is the fault of the owner, at least the owner takes the major blame.

I disagree. Scuba equipment service should live up to the same level as car service. How many check that the nuts on your car's wheels are tight after taking it in for brake service?

Since "It is part of basic training", can you provide an excerpt from any of the major agencies text books on how to check your drysuit valve tightness? I check that I can inflate, that the inflator doesn't continue to inflate, and that I can deflate before each dive, but I've never seen anyone check that their valves are screwed on tightly before each dive.

All the work done for me by my LDS has been top notch. In this case the drysuit went back to the manufacturer.

You know there is no data for that. Those of us commenting on SB are not statistically significant. Maybe people like me are unlucky who had 3 shops screw up servicing my regs. When it comes to statistics though, what do you consider the person with median intelligence? :wink:
I don’t know what median intelligence is now compared to when I was in my 20’s. It’s different.

I seem to remember more people into the trades instead going to college as a standard like now. College now seems to almost be just an extension of high school. All the trades are suffering right now with extreme shortages but everyone thinks the trades are for lower class blue collar people and no one wants to do it.
Some trades are paying big bucks now.
But then I see people with four years degrees working at UPS, Mattress stores, and Starbucks making half the money they could if they were in the trades.
There is a difference between median mechanical intelligence and median theoretical intelligence.

The point is, I’d rather have an auto mechanic working on my regs instead of a software developer, because to me the mechanic is better suited and more intelligent for that job. But who is considered by modern society more intelligent?

Anybody with even a hint if mechanical intelligence could learn to do acceptable reg service work. In other words, you don’t need a PhD.

First, your are assuming that "they" never "re-tightened the valve which isn't fair.
Sure it is.
Second, it is your job to check your equipment BEFORE going in the water, not them.
Okay, I should check that there are no air bubbles in my brakes after I pick them up from a mechanic.

I should check my air pressure after buying new tires from a tire shop.

I should ... Get the idea? If someone pays for a service, the person being paid should make sure it is done right.

When you ran a dive shop, if an unhappy customer came back with a problem, are you going to tell them it is their fault for not checking before they left your shop? Come on.
You are really the person to blame for the issue that occurred underwater with the valve. Equipment check is part of every single diver training course out there. It is part of basic training.
No, the OP is not.
I know that it is fashionable for many on SB to bitsh about the LDS and the service they are getting but one needs to take charge of their equipment and test everything before they leave the LDS or as soon as they receive it. To actually have equipment serviced and take it on blind faith on a trip without testing it first at the LDS or home prior to the trip, it is the fault of the owner, at least the owner takes the major blame.
Someone pays for a service, they expect it to be done right. Or is scuba an exception?
Now for the good folks who are advocating "DIY" when it comes to regulator service, how many of you screw up the service especially the folks who only own a set or two and only get to do the service once every a year or two? You can't possibly accumulate experience and know-how by doing the service on "rare" occasions. I believe that there is higher percentage of screw ups with DIY service than there is with LDS service.
How do you know this? DIYers actually GAF and will be more meticulous than some 20something shop monkey that wants to go back to whatever social media kids use these days.
(I have to start a whole new thread concerning this point I think).

I don’t know what median intelligence is now compared to when I was in my 20’s. It’s different.

I seem to remember more people into the trades instead going to college as a standard like now. College now seems to almost be just an extension of high school. All the trades are suffering right now with extreme shortages but everyone thinks the trades are for lower class blue collar people and no one wants to do it.
Some trades are paying big bucks now.
But then I see people with four years degrees working at UPS, Mattress stores, and Starbucks making half the money they could if they were in the trades.
There is a difference between median mechanical intelligence and median theoretical intelligence.

The point is, I’d rather have an auto mechanic working on my regs instead of a software developer, because to me the mechanic is better suited and more intelligent for that job. But who is considered by modern society more intelligent?

Anybody with even a hint if mechanical intelligence could learn to do acceptable reg service work. In other words, you don’t need a PhD.
It depends on the software engineer. I know guys whom I'd trust more than any mechanic as they are incredibly meticulous and they build all sorts of stuff with their hands. You'd be surprised that some software geeks are incredibly mechanically inclined.

I'm not disparaging trades. If I was getting out of high school right now, that's the career path I would take.

I can only speak about my area, but I've seen a lot of minimum wage paid kids trained to service regs who really do not care. I don't want them servicing my regs.

As they say, pay peanuts, expect monkeys.

另一个例子说明在水肺潜水课程中大力宣传的“只让经过认证的专业/当地潜水店维修您的潜水装备”的口头禅可能有点误导。

ScubaBoard 上的一些人,我比一些随机的花花公子支付 20 美元/小时,他们必须在一周内完成一堆注册。(还要考虑一些我在 LDS 上把我搞砸在坦克上的经历)
他们还推荐通过 ***I instructor/center 购买装备,这是一个简单的商业技巧。

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom