Gear Requirements for the Solo Diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm curious... Theoretically, I could ditch the high pressure hose all together. Is that a wise idea given the AI computer? Do AI users do that? It's dead acurate, has never failed to connect and has never failed to correlate with my SPG and at this point in my diving and until I have NDL's memorized and a back up depth/timer/computer I would likely end a dive if my computer failed and then resort to my tables topside assuming I had a timer. I could keep the SPG/depth gauge in my gear bag as a backup. Thoughts?

I did just that for several years, but my backup computer was also AI. It works, I recently added an SPG and ditched the backup computer. That works as well. Try it (not for a pinnacle dive) and see which you prefer.

When your AI fails you'll just have to surface early but like OldNSalty said it is safer to have an SPG and tables/or AI-less computer as backups because someday you will need them. I work in IT and have learned to not trust computers even when they seem like they can't fail. It will happen it's just a matter of time.

I see you have 1 100' reel - you should get another reel/spool 110-120', it's a good idea to have a reel/spool that's more then your max depth. 1 is 0 and 2 is 1. You have two SMB's so it makes sense to have two reels/spools and also your reel might jam and that sucks when you don't have a backup/safety.

Nothing special needed will happily dive solo to 30m (100ft) within NDL with a single tank, and regular equipment you would take on any standard dive. Anything over 30m for me is usually a planned deco dive, so a different set of equipment.

I would be curious to hear how much of the ideas discussed were adopted or discarded after a summer of diving.

Jim,

I took your advice. Air2, necklaced back mount 19 cu ft. pony. Admittedly, the pony has been left on the boat mostly. I've been diving in the 40-60 ft range all summer and mostly buddy diving, but as my skills have improved, so has the realization that this (hunting) is simply a solo sport and most everyone wants to dive solo, which is fine by me, but it has the redundancy issue on my mind constantly.

So, knowing that I'm going to be pretty much exclusively a solo diver here going forward, (no more new guy excuse) I've been reconsidering the 19 in favor for a 13. I think I would appreciate knocking 5 inches off the pony especially since I'm already hauling 112's and as my sac rate continues to improve with every dive a 13 will be suitable for non stop dives in the 30-70 ft range. I can use the 19 for the occasional 70-100 or as a hang tank. And deeper than 100 I'm looking at a couple back mounted 40's for bailout and deco. The latter coming early next year as I'm planning to start working the middle grounds and beyond. I also plan to get trimix certified this winter.

Anyway, I've been searching for cheap used 13's with little success, but Leisure Pro is selling them for $114 so I may just pull the trigger on that before my next dive. Which was supposed to be Monday, but it looks like we're going to get blown out for a little while.

Thoughts?

Edit: After looking back at my op, one thing I did add to my rig was a DiveAlert. And did you know you can breath off of it? :)

Last edited:
LOL.. all the horrible stuff people say about the Air 2's and they work for you too. I remember many years ago when I was crew on a charter boat and Hall Watts showed up with his daughter and a student and both he and his daughter had AIR 2's and were going to 300 feet that day (on air). I was surprised and asked him how they worked at depth and he said they work fine well below 200 ft, so that was enough endorsement for me and I started using them. They are a good solution when using a back mounted pony (and also when you don't use the pony).

I also think a 19 cu-ft is probably overkill and often use a 13 cu-ft tank. About 8 or 10 years ago, I totally screwed up and I did run out of air (got hard to breathe) while chasing a cobia in the middle grounds at 125 ft or so (solo of course), and had to switch over to my little 6 cu-ft pony. I have to admit, I was nervous and ended up dropping my pole spear after I started the ascent and decided that I was not heading downward with a 6 cu-ft bottle (to get my beloved Ray Odor Pole spear) especially since I was totally and completely winded from an epic cobia chase. I made it to the safety stop, switched to the larger tank which had like 100 lbs and completed a full stop with no issues.

Tomorrow I am diving in 80-100 and even though I have two 13 cu-ft ponies, I am going to be using the 6 cu-ft pony. Instead of buying a 13 (which is not going to be much smaller than a 19) maybe consider a 6 cu-ft pony for depth less than 80 or so. It will get you straight to the surface from that depth and it is so small, it won't get left on the boat.

Also, a 19 cu-ft tank is more than enough for the middle grounds if you stay out of deco. 40 cu-ft tanks are ridiculous for those depths...

Also, you mentioned back mounted deco bottles - I don't think I would be comfortable carrying a back mounted (rich) deco bottle (of 80 or 100%) . On the rare occasions when I am spearing in 180 plus (and doing more than 10 minutes of deco and want deco gas), I will wear the deco bottle as a stage bottle, where I can manipulate the valve and SEE the hose coming from the tank. A small slung bottle is not that big of a deal when spearfishing. Even though I have zero technical training, I know that too many have died by confusing their regulators at depth.

I don't have too many videos showing myself using a stage bottle when spearing, this video from 5 years ago shows I was wearing a 19 deco bottle clipped to a scubapro BC on the right side (because my catch bag goes on the left) and carrying a 13 cu-ft bottle for bail out (on my back) and a big single of air in 185 ft. Maybe not something to emulate, but it might give you a few ideas.

The end of the video shows my buddy wearing a big single and upside down, back-mounted 40 of air and a 40 for deco and he also has an H-valve on his primary tank. Pretty much what you mentioned... not a configuration I would choose, but it can be done.

Last edited:
Yeah, if it weren't for the corrugated hose I'd happily use my air2 as my primary. Breathes great, I have no trouble with managing my ascent while breathing off it, no regrets.

I looked at the 6 too and then weighed the cost. For $15 more I double the volume with the 13, yet still reduce the size significantly compared to the 19. It is something to consider, but as my diving progresses deeper I think the 13 is the right size.

I've learned the "by the book" changes with hunting. Especially deep, deco hunting. The rig your buddy was diving on that awesome plane wreck seems to be the norm, so to speak. Especially since it's my understanding bottom times are extremely limited to avoid nasty deco obligations. I haven't slung a bottle fishing, but it sure seems like it would be in the way. After I get this 13 I'll have to bring the 19 slung one time and see how I like it.

Nice video. Be sure to post your video of tomorrow's dive. I always enjoy them. :wink: Still trying to predict when we'll get a good forecast to do some diving together. I'm looking forward to the day we can talk face to face and not through the forums.

Just use 1 cu ft per min as your consumption rate, and you can easily & quickly comprehend the following:

At the surface, 19 cu ft would last 19 mins.
At 33 fsw, 19 cu ft would last 9 mins.
At 99 fsw, 19 cu ft would last 4 mins.

To ascend from 99 ft properly would take you 3 mins. This would consume about 6 cu ft of a 19 cu ft bottle, about 1/3. That also tells you that the smallest bottle you could effectively get to the surface with from 99 ft, without stopping at 15 ft, would be a 6 cu ft bottle. However the smallest bottle that I would ever recommend for dives to 99 ft would be at least twice that volume.

However with a 19 cu ft pony bottle, that would leave you with 13 cu ft with which to do a safety stop at 15 ft, after your ascent. You could wait 8 mins at 15 ft with that much gas, even at 1 cu ft per min consumption rate.

You should have plenty of extra air with a 19 cu ft bottle, although you do not have time to dink around while using it either (like dumpsterDiver thinking about retrieving a dropped pole spear at 125 ft).

Most normal RMVs are in the 0.5 to 0.75 range. But when something goes wrong, a stressed breathing rate of 1 cu ft per min in the examples above is a reasonable estimation. Plus it makes the calculations in US Imperial for a pony bottle contingency easier to figure and see. . .

^ No doubt. I've run the numbers and that is why I originally bought the 19 thinking ahead about future depths. But where I live it's a long haul to get into 100 plus ft. depths. Our section of the Gulf is a little unique in that there's a ton of structure out to about 65 ft. which requires one mile of travel per 2 ft. of depth. So we typically do 20-30 miles trips to dive in the 40-60 ft. range. After that the bottom turns to sand with very little structure from ~60 until you start hitting ~100 ft. and then it starts to turn into Swiss cheese.

So that said, it's obvious due to travel the majority of dives are in the 60 ft. range where a 13 would be adequate, including a safety stop.

I've also been working on slowing my O2 metabolic rate while diving and especially on ascents. It's amazing what a solid year of diving can do for you. When I first started I would kick up on my ascents, now I try to be as motionless as possible and let the gas in my BC do the work. I can only imagine the diver I will be in a decade. Always something to learn from others.

Yeah, if it weren't for the corrugated hose I'd happily use my air2 as my primary. Breathes great, I have no trouble with managing my ascent while breathing off it, no regrets.

I looked at the 6 too and then weighed the cost. For $15 more I double the volume with the 13, yet still reduce the size significantly compared to the 19. It is something to consider, but as my diving progresses deeper I think the 13 is the right size.

I've learned the "by the book" changes with hunting. Especially deep, deco hunting. The rig your buddy was diving on that awesome plane wreck seems to be the norm, so to speak. Especially since it's my understanding bottom times are extremely limited to avoid nasty deco obligations. I haven't slung a bottle fishing, but it sure seems like it would be in the way. After I get this 13 I'll have to bring the 19 slung one time and see how I like it.

Nice video. Be sure to post your video of tomorrow's dive. I always enjoy them. :wink:Still trying to predict when we'll get a good forecast to do some diving together. I'm looking forward to the day we can talk face to face and not through the forums.

13 makes sense for most divers I know. FYI, if you spring for a custom length woven hose from Dive gear express and then add the air 2 adapter to it, the soft, flexible hose makes using the AIR 2 really pretty comfortable. I have AIR'2 on all my BC and BP/W's.

most recent trip.."Gotta be a decent shot if your not a good freediver."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom