Gear Requirements for the Solo Diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm listening guys. :)

For clarification the GoPro is attached to the mask. Where ever the mask goes, the GoPro goes with it. That's why I came up with the little tether. I don't think this is very unusual. I've read quite a few accounts of lost GoPros and then the follow up thread of securing it. The way I made mine seemed like the simplest and most streamlined way to prevent losing both the camera and mask. In fact, some of the examples I've seen are terrible IMO. One example is where they're tethering it in front of them to a chest D ring which definitely creates an entanglement point.

Is getting your mask knocked off not a realistic problem when hunting larger game? I've seen some videos of AJ's beating the hell out of divers before and accounts of lost masks. What's wrong with a little ounce of prevention? Logic tells me If I'm at 100 ft. on a wreck and I just got bucked by a AJ or Cobia and my mask is knocked off, the ascent would pretty much suck. Conversely if my mask is sitting on my shoulder thanks to a 6" piece of nylon and I can just put the mask back, gain my composure and carry on, that seems like the better alternative. Obviously, just carrying a back up mask would eliminate that, but in an effort to minimize gear, assuming lens and skirt failure is extremely unlikely then wouldn't a small tether be a better option? Also, this little tether would be dictated by the dive and activity. In fact I haven't even used it yet. So to summarize, is a back up mask acceptable, but a little tether is not? If so, why?

As far as the pony goes, what is the risk in the in-line valve? Don't many technical divers use them? Has anyone ever heard a report of them failing? Again, applying logic, there's a few things to consider. Set the octo on my primary aside for a second. I could pressurize the bottle and then turn it off. If needed in an emergency I can **** around trying to open the valve back up. Another option is I could just leave it on, but that creates a huge risk of an unnoticed freeflow which makes the redundant air supply unreliable. And finally I could do as I originally have setup which is as simple as sliding open the in-line valve that is easily accessible right in front of my face attached to the second stage.

Now, there is the option of ditching the octo on my primary tank as you guys suggested and necklace the pony reg. However, I'm not exclusively solo diving and I may just be doing a fun exploratory dive with a buddy. In that case, I may not bring the pony. This now creates the situation where I would be constantly removing and adding the octo. Aside from that nuance, would there not be a greater risk of O ring failure from the constant removal when switching back and forth from buddy and solo diving? Also, my rock bottom calculation on the pony was for me solo. But let's say I'm doing a deep 100 ft. dive with the pony and a buddy. My buddy goes OOA. Now, do I donate my primary and switch to my pony on the necklace? Is my pony going to have enough gas for me with the added task of trying to ascend with a buddy holding on to me? I could then become OOA. That would suck. Or I could donate my pony and who knows what my buddy's rock bottom calculation is and he runs out of air "twice". Both situations could result in us sharing one reg.

Bare with me guys :)... Do technical divers eliminate their isolation manifold and backup regs because they have other tanks available? Do rebreather divers necklace their bailout bottles? Here's a better question. If I slung the pony, would you guys still recommend necklacing the pony and eliminating the octo on the primary?

I understand if someone is doing exclusive solo diving that there's really no need for the octo. But that wouldn't be my kind of diving. I'm trying to find a somewhat universal core setup that doesn't have to be changed much between buddy and solo diving. In my configuration, I'm also trying to keep my rig the same for muscle memory between buddy and solo diving and treat the pony as a slung pony that is simply carried on my tank rather than my BC while semi solo fishing and slung if deep buddy diving and left on the boat for shallow buddy diving.

As far as someone babysitting my ass, not at all. Hence the pony. But I wouldn't mind a solid buddy or team that watches each other's backs. Similar to your son having your back when your o ring extruded on your pony while spearfishing.

Does this make sense? Where am I wrong?

---------- Post added December 28th, 2015 at 07:37 PM ----------

Ironically I noticed this thread was bumped after my last post.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/solo-divers/502374-octopus-conundrum.html

All the stuff you seem to want to carry is your prerogative. In my experience, especially when hunting, simple and streamlined is the best bet. Flat out don't take BS that you don't need, and certainly don't complicate your rig.

You keep referencing the things you think technical divers do, but we probably take less gear into the water and in a cleaner profile than most divers out there. And there's no way in hell we are attaching lanyards from our standard gear to some unneeded gear.

What you need to do is keep it simple, and do it right. No need to look like the doodadd rack at the LDS when you splash.

I tend to not have anything I don't need for my dive, I started diving and solo at the same time and found little need for redundancy for most of my dives then or since. I add what I feel is needed for the dive. Of course I have a trilobite line cutter and shears permantly on my rigs and always carry my lucky BFK on my calf. Yes I have all kinds of gear I just don't carry it all the time.

This is what I do, and I don't expect anyone else to do the same. Just have a clear reason for choosing the gear you carry.

Bob

All the stuff you seem to want to carry is your prerogative. In my experience, especially when hunting, simple and streamlined is the best bet. Flat out don't take BS that you don't need, and certainly don't complicate your rig.

You keep referencing the things you think technical divers do, but we probably take less gear into the water and in a cleaner profile than most divers out there. And there's no way in hell we are attaching lanyards from our standard gear to some unneeded gear.

What you need to do is keep it simple, and do it right. No need to look like the doodadd rack at the LDS when you splash.

It's interesting, because talking with my technical instructors they don't find another tank, hose or reg a big deal. Paraphrasing my instructor, "Tanks, regs and hoses are just part of the deal and if you can't manage a seperate independent air supply, you can't handle technical diving." I will however clarify I haven't reached technical diving yet, but I research a lot and ask as many question as possible when I'm in my dive shop.

I'm with you on not bringing useless gear, I havent heard an objection to what I'm carrying. I think you have to find some middle ground though. I've read too many stories of Gulf spearfisherman perishing. Is it a skills problem or were they not prepared with some basic tools and gear configurations? Lots of guys doing 60'+ dives on one tank, one BC, one reg, an SPG in board shorts and a t-shirt. IMO, that's foolish. My instructor keeps reminding me not to dive with Gulf spearfishing cowboys on an ego trip. Apparently there's a lot of them.

It's also interesting to read the "mask tether" thread Akimbo started. From my lurking on here, it doesn't get more technical than a full saturation diver and I think he's a well respected participant on SB. The take away from the thread was he and his buddies never lost a mask, but I think he ended up creating a solution by tethering the mask strap to his hood. So what does that say? I don't know.

Many of the issues raised here were addressed in the other thread. As for ascent strategies with a pony bottle... the pony bottle should have enough capacity to get you OR your panicked buddy to the surface (FYI 19 is more than enough for 100 ft). You should preserve enough air in your primary tank to get either you OR your buddy to the surface - even if scared.

This is one reason to use a pony bottle, you don't need to save enough gas in your primary tank to get TWO people to the surface.

Without an octopus, one diver will be on the pony and the other on the primary - there should not be a problem.

Yes I have personally witnessed an inline valve - pretty much blow up on the boat. It was relatively new, and was probably subject to some physical abuse. It was dramatic and gave me the impression that i would avoid using something like that - unless I felt the benefits far outweighed the negatives of it.

My buddy added an in-line valve to the end of a 25 ft oxygen hose we used to hang off the boat for deco. It was a GREAT tool to prevent careless freeflows and loss of limited oxygen - worhtwhile for that application.

Also, any decent spearfisherman should be able to share one regulator with a buddy, should that be necessary in a last ditch effort. You are only diving a 100 ft. :)

You know, the more I think about it, the more I'm thinking maybe I need to have a second look at the AIR2. The problem with them is you have to buy it to try it. I know my shop doesn't have any to rent. So what's the pros and cons?

Good point on the inline valve on a hang tank. I hadn't thought about that.

You know, the more I think about it, the more I'm thinking maybe I need to have a second look at the AIR2. The problem with them is you have to buy it to try it. I know my shop doesn't have any to rent. So what's the pros and cons?

Good point on the inline valve on a hang tank. I hadn't thought about that.

You might end up diving a rig similar to mine and nobody wants to see that!!!

Ok. A few questions.

1. IF I were to go to an AIR2 and necklace the pony, what do you guys think is the best way to route the hose assuming the pony is inverted for valve control and my primary is a 40" hose under my arm? I'm thinking run a long hose rubber banded at the bottom of the tank with the hose tucked between the tank and wing and run it over my shoulder to a necklace and elbow. OR run it in front of me to the necklace. The latter option seems as though the hose would get in the way, especially while fishing.

2. The inverted pony does introduce some risk of damage to the first stage while top side on a boat. My pony is a DIN, so do you think it's worth giving up valve control to reduce the potential of damaging the first stage?

3. How reliable are these AIR2's? How well do they breath? How easy/cheap are they to have serviced? The one I specifically found is from DGE https://www.divegearexpress.com/bc-integrated-backup-regulator

4. How difficult is it to control buoyancy while breathing on an AIR2? I assume you must be vertical with the reg above the top of you bladder to dump air. Otherwise you could pull dump.

All of these things could be addressed simply by either a set of BM doubles or sidemount. Just my 2PSI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok. A few questions.

1. IF I were to go to an AIR2 and necklace the pony, what do you guys think is the best way to route the hose assuming the pony is inverted for valve control and my primary is a 40" hose under my arm? I'm thinking run a long hose rubber banded at the bottom of the tank with the hose tucked between the tank and wing and run it over my shoulder to a necklace and elbow. OR run it in front of me to the necklace. The latter option seems as though the hose would get in the way, especially while fishing.

2. The inverted pony does introduce some risk of damage to the first stage while top side on a boat. My pony is a DIN, so do you think it's worth giving up valve control to reduce the potential of damaging the first stage?

3. How reliable are these AIR2's? How well do they breath? How easy/cheap are they to have serviced? The one I specifically found is from DGE https://www.divegearexpress.com/bc-integrated-backup-regulator

4. How difficult is it to control buoyancy while breathing on an AIR2? I assume you must be vertical with the reg above the top of you bladder to dump air. Otherwise you could pull dump.
So much confusing info. The great news is none of your initial choices are set in stone. Gear comfiguations are infinitely adaptable.

About the DGE link. I actually have one of those for sale. Very good condition but of course needs checked out before diving. 50 shipped. Can send pic if interested.

decompression. He is trying to avoid anything slung or sidemounted for spearfishing. And not yet ready for doubles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom