Gear Requirements for the Solo Diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is the Air2 used for?

N

For me I take Dive Rite twin wing and a transpak fabric based lightweight solution.
2 x AP Valves Plastique pylons, 4 x cam bands and 2 x sets of Poseidon regulators.
From this you can rig a set of twindies with pretty much any tank size.

I have had some dive operators state "We don't hire ponies so you can't solo dive". In this case with the 2 x singles it isn't a problem. Rig them together and et voila. Sure you haven't got the convenience of a manifold to isolate them but a switch every 5 minutes is fine.

If you need a backup mask...Then once you have put on the backup mask, it becomes "the" mask and you no longer have a backup. So if you needed a backup in the first place, it is time to abort the dive. Which is something you can do pretty easily without a backup mask in the first place.

Dunno, if something smashed my mask off, I think I'd be ready to just abort the dive, and I could do that without dragging around a second mask.

Now, I DO keep a backup mask. When I got a "better" mask I put the old one in an original Pelican box and I carry it with me in case some idiot falls on my dive gear, or tosses a tank on it. But it stays on the boat or on the beach.

What kind of PLB did you get that is waterproof to any significant depth? Or is it a Nautilus?

If you need a backup mask...Then once you have put on the backup mask, it becomes "the" mask and you no longer have a backup. So if you needed a backup in the first place, it is time to abort the dive. Which is something you can do pretty easily without a backup mask in the first place.
unless your deep inside a cave or wreck then a back up mask would be glorious

The OP was talking about 60-100 feet ocean boat diving. Which means no caves, and very unlikely that he'll be deep in any wreck at that depth. In which case a wreck penetration line would be all he needs to braille his way out, in any case. Deep in a wreck, if your light goes out and you can't see daylight? A mask won't matter, will it?

The OP was talking about 60-100 feet ocean boat diving. Which means no caves, and very unlikely that he'll be deep in any wreck at that depth. In which case a wreck penetration line would be all he needs to braille his way out, in any case. Deep in a wreck, if your light goes out and you can't see daylight? A mask won't matter, will it?

I carry a back-up mask. I am wondering how well I can read my gages w/o mask. Will have to try that. If I can read them I might re-think carrying that backup mask. If I cannot read them, I'll keep carrying that mask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom