Gear Requirements for the Solo Diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my hand sometimes.

As for fins, I pull/push myself along the bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Three issues: breathing, buoyancy, return.

1) Have at least two breathing gas sources. That includes two second stages, two first stages and two tanks. And no, don't get CO in both tanks and do service the regs in different months & places. There is no guarantee that a pony bottle actually works unless you have tested it under water & at depth (two different things by the way). Hence, I would prefer a somewhat larger bottle that I would routinely use for example for the descents, and then switch (I dive with two equal size sidemounted bottles). Then you know that the backup system really works under water & at depth. If you have some freediving experience then that 90 feet depth may not be excessive for an emergency ascent, but it's a long way up.

2) Have at least two means of controlling buoyancy. Drysuit+droppable weights. BCD+droppable weights. Drysuit+BCD. Three is usually best. You have two and that's ok for no-deco open water dives. Note that if you run out of gas you will wish you were neutral and not negative. Orally inflating a bcd while using a pony may not be fun. Droppable weights solve that issue.

3) Once you get entangled, you will grow nervous and fumble with the knife. Hence you drop and loose it. Take two. Add a bungee lanyard if convenient (for arm mounted knives)(saves money too). The knife won't help you if you hit barbed wire or similar. Wire cutters are nice for that. If you get entangled in an underwater tree you will want a saw as the other tools will be useless :D Scissors are nice for fishing nets, saws aren't. You seem to be adequately prepared for many scenarios.

4) Getting noticed by the support vessel is kind of important too, so sea worthy (big) SMB:s, radios, mirrors, whistles, lights are usefull.

Carrying two masks may be convenient as it would allow a more controlled ascent (avoiding boat hull) in a case of lost/broken mask but I guess its a convenience item in warm waters. But I will tell you that you will not want +4 celsius water in your eyes. It's unpleasant and makes rational thought difficult.

Last edited:
Ok, in a small attempt to be useful, arm mounted knives are great for the solo diver as they are the easiest parts of your body to bring to meet each other, and the lanyard is already in place
3eba48cb46dc8aa2d9d7e27150e8bd9d.jpg

If you bungee mount a slate or DC you can also mount a trilobite
image.jpg

and yes it is pink :wink:

Trilobites also fit nicely on bungee computer straps and are possibly the most amazing cutting tool I've ever seen.

They'll cut 2inch webbing you know? Try it.

---------- Post added December 28th, 2015 at 12:53 AM ----------

Oooh a mindset thing has just popped into my head that's very applicable to solo diving.

Sometimes, the most reliable gear is cheap and disposable. Not because it's tougher, but because you're willing to replace it more.

I prefer benchmade 7 safety cutters to the trilobytes, but either way, all works out well. I mount mine on my petrel straps and it works out well. Keep a second one on my slate straps as pictured above.

Ok, in a small attempt to be useful, arm mounted knives are great for the solo diver as they are the easiest parts of your body to bring to meet each other, and the lanyard is already in place
3eba48cb46dc8aa2d9d7e27150e8bd9d.jpg
Not a good spot for a knife. What if your right arm is the one entangled?

Lots of good info developing in this thread...

I definitely like utilizing the real estate on the wrist/forearm. That was my thinking with the mirror and PPD's. I haven't seen many divers do that other than with a slate or maybe a light while night/cave diving. I do really like my knife on my chest strap though. It's mounted vertically with the handle down so each arm can easily grasp it very quickly. I'll have to snap a picture to share.

I like the idea of wrapping line around the SMB too. What are the drawbacks of not having enough line for your depth? Assuming you're not trying to hold a deco stop, not on a drift dive with a float and not doing any penetrations.

Back
Top Bottom