Gear Requirements for the Solo Diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey CuzzA,

Couple of things.

1) Test it out but a 32 should do. Eric has much the same gear as you except a HP 120 plus steel backplate and his 32 hog wing is more then adquate

2) Consider more line on your reel. Don't know how deep you plan to go but I prefer at least 1 1/2 to twice the line as depth and consider a backup reel/spool in case the first is lost

3) Spare mask. It is part of the solo package but I too choose not to carry one, I don't use pockets. If you choose not to carry one, have a alternate lost mask plan. Mine? Keep my wt slightly negative and reel in the line at a speed that I know from experience will give me a safe ascent then have a knot in line at 20, 15 and 10 feet. I know others that place knots at regular intervals, such as every 10 feet

4) I also choose not to carry a snorkel

---------- Post added December 27th, 2015 at 12:11 PM ----------

As for solo class, that will depend on you. We chose to take the SDI solo. I thought I had an outline for the class but can't find it. As I recall the focus of my class

Gear and how to use it
Navigation
Shooting DSMB
Removing gear at depth and trouble shooting gear issues as a solo diver

But more then any skills education, it is the emphasis on the mindset that may be most useful to the select diver, others may come to the course with that already in place.

Get the SDI solo book. Look it over. Talk to the potential instructor. Then decide. I would say that taking the course is worthwhile for any diver that is just starting to dive/solo dive. Or of course a good mentor.

Edit: And just noticed your dive count. I am sure you already know this but 100 dive count is a requirement for SDI solo.

Last edited:
I didn't see a mirror listed? How are you doing your bubble and "buddy" checks without one?
One of the things I cover when I teach a Solo class along with planning and mindset.
What mental and emotional factors are you taking into consideration for planning purposes? What about the emotional and mental effects on your loved ones? All of that should come into play.

I didn't see a mirror listed? How are you doing your bubble and "buddy" checks without one?
One of the things I cover when I teach a Solo class along with planning and mindset.
Hi Jim. He's got it. Third to last.

I admit, I don't routinely carry that either. Again no pocekts. Any significant leak behind me I can hear. Beyond that, I just moniter my gas. And these are all dives where direct ascent is possible should the need arise.

You don't need a mirror for bubble checks if you are sidemount, which also takes care of the redundant gas requirement. If you're backmount, single or double, you can bubble-check by lying back, pausing breathing for a moment (that is not the same thing as holding your breath) and looking upwards for bubbles rising from behind you. The mirror is not needed....although if it is a signal mirror that is part of my "drift kit."

Yeah, I made a little wrist holder for my PPD's and figured why not just put a little mirror (small circle auto part rear view mirror) on it to see both valves. Kills two birds with one stone. I'm sure side mount would minimize a lot of the back mounted issues, but I don't believe that configuration would work well at all for fishing.

I don't carry an extra mask, but i do carry two knives. You have a pair of shears, so that is a reasonable back up.

I do not carry a spool or reel for diving in 100 ft of water. It is less gear to mess with if you wrap 25 ft of line around the smb, tie a barrel clip to the end and then use elasic bands to secure the bundle and then clip to a D-ring or somewhere easy to get to.

I carried an extra (prescription) mask on one dive, the (cave) current at the exit smashed me into a log, broke the frame, goodbye mask. Haven't carried once since. But now that I don't need glasses anymore, I'll try carrying a cheap one again.

A cylinder. A reg. An SPG. A mask.

Everything else is as dictated by the dive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom