Gear for newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is easy to get sucked into the sales pitch of the LDS. Especially if you trusted them with your training. They may be a great shop but just keep that in mind.

I own my gear but I am in the process of upgrading a few things for tech purposes. I presently use the Sherwood regs with the Maximus as my primary. It has been a great reg for me but it is not the best reg for tech diving. I too have been researching the Atomic regs. I like the Z1 for example at $379 retail. This reg outperforms regs three times the cost. However I learned (literally last night) that it is more difficult to find shops that service them. The closest Atomic service shop to me quoted $76 for the annual service on the Z1. This is $40 labor and $36 parts.

I also learned that Scuba Pro offers lifetime free parts. To get a Scuba Pro reg that performs like the Atomic will cost more money. However, you can see that in just a few years the cost will be the same then after it will cost you less for the Scuba Pro. Though some people do not spring for it, annual service is extremely important for safety. It is also required to maintain the warranty on your reg. Based on my research I am going to see what price I can get for a top performing Scuba Pro reg. I like the idea of free parts.

In terms of a BC, DEFINITELY get a BC that will allow the use of a drysuit. I assume you are starting out in a wetsuit but eventually you will go dry. Once you go dry, you will never go back to wet. In my opinion you should not drop the cash on a full tech BC with BP/Wings. That is overkill at this point and you may choose never to get into tech diving. I also prefer the use of soft weights with a weight integrated BC rather than a weight belt. Soft weights vs. ridgid belt with all the weight pulling at your lower back? No brainer for me again.

I have used both the regular octo setup and the bc inflator/regulator setup. I definitely prefer the integrated system. It is SO much cleaner, less opportunity for entanglement, and they are reliable. I have used the Seaquest Air Source for years and I really like it. I would also suggest the use of a pony which would of course have it's own reg. Do you like the idea of having a completely redundant breathing system should the unexpected (and fortunately unlikely) happen? It was a no brainer for me, I like having backup when my life is at stake. Even a small bottle will cover your needs at recreational depths.

My .02 cents and suggestions.

--Matt

Well you opened a can of worms, asking what gear?
I have 5 sets of Atomics, they are made by former Scubapro people. I think they are better than ScubaPro. I have ScubaPro, Oceanic, Dacor, US Divers, and Sherwood. When I cave dive or deep wreck I have my Atomics. BUT ScubaPro or Apeks are a good choice. For a BC take a look at a DiveRite TranspacII, It will allow you to change with different environments I also have a BP/Wing(s) and don't agree that it's a "tech" rig It is the only "BC" that will do everything and it will outlast anything else you can find. You can look at DiveRite, Halcyon, Zeagle and several others. As far as how to wear your weights the more experienced diver will learn that you need to adjust your weight placement depending on your equipment config. Dive Safe-Dive Alot-M

matt_unique:
It is easy to get sucked into the sales pitch of the LDS. Especially if you trusted them with your training. They may be a great shop but just keep that in mind.

I own my gear but I am in the process of upgrading a few things for tech purposes. I presently use the Sherwood regs with the Maximus as my primary. It has been a great reg for me but it is not the best reg for tech diving. I too have been researching the Atomic regs. I like the Z1 for example at $379 retail. This reg outperforms regs three times the cost. However I learned (literally last night) that it is more difficult to find shops that service them. The closest Atomic service shop to me quoted $76 for the annual service on the Z1. This is $40 labor and $36 parts.

I also learned that Scuba Pro offers lifetime free parts. To get a Scuba Pro reg that performs like the Atomic will cost more money. However, you can see that in just a few years the cost will be the same then after it will cost you less for the Scuba Pro. Though some people do not spring for it, annual service is extremely important for safety. It is also required to maintain the warranty on your reg. Based on my research I am going to see what price I can get for a top performing Scuba Pro reg. I like the idea of free parts.

In terms of a BC, DEFINITELY get a BC that will allow the use of a drysuit. I assume you are starting out in a wetsuit but eventually you will go dry. Once you go dry, you will never go back to wet. In my opinion you should not drop the cash on a full tech BC with BP/Wings. That is overkill at this point and you may choose never to get into tech diving. I also prefer the use of soft weights with a weight integrated BC rather than a weight belt. Soft weights vs. ridgid belt with all the weight pulling at your lower back? No brainer for me again.

I have used both the regular octo setup and the bc inflator/regulator setup. I definitely prefer the integrated system. It is SO much cleaner, less opportunity for entanglement, and they are reliable. I have used the Seaquest Air Source for years and I really like it. I would also suggest the use of a pony which would of course have it's own reg. Do you like the idea of having a completely redundant breathing system should the unexpected (and fortunately unlikely) happen? It was a no brainer for me, I like having backup when my life is at stake. Even a small bottle will cover your needs at recreational depths.

My .02 cents and suggestions.

--Matt

What is the difference?

A backplate/wing is a minimalistic bc that consists of a wing in the back for lift, a metal backplate, and a piece of webbing and a few pieces of hardware. Many of the tech bc's on the market have enormous amounts of d-rings, plenty of padding, and generally are going for a tech look. Of the people that I know that actually DO technical diving, I would say 90% use a bp/w.

I am not a tech diver, but I also have a bp/w. They can be modified to be used in any diving situation. Halcyon makes weight pockets that can be attached to the waistband, so even saying that the bp/w requires the use of a weightbelt is incorrect. I switched for a number of reasons, but a biggie is moving 6# of lead from wherever (belt or pockets) to my back. I didn't think that integrated weight pockets from my old bc were particularly practical with the amount of lead I had to carry in cold water.

I don't like the idea of the air2s, but I've never used one so I have no real opinion.

Rachel

Boogie711:
ANd avoid alternate inflation 'regulators.' Get a real backup/octo. First time you need it you'll be glad you did.

I second that. Just think what would happen if you have to share air with your buddy, you being the donor, while ascending from 60' and also having to dump air from your BC while holding on to your buddy.

Semper safe

Rick :bounce:

Thanks for all of the Feedback. i've settled on Apeks ATX200 with Dacor Viper octo. still waffling betwenn BCD and BP+W though.

try as much as you can before you buy, if at all possible. Try a jacket BC (lots of people swear by them, especially the photographers), a back-inflate BC, and a BP/W setup. I did, and I'm really glad that I was able to do that before I shelled out my money.

sinja:
Thanks for all of the Feedback. i've settled on Apeks ATX200 with Dacor Viper octo. still waffling betwenn BCD and BP+W though.

Good choice on the Apeks. Why not an Apeks octo? Just a thought as you're going for a top notch primary think about the same for your backup. Nice to have a similier breathing reg at depth if your primary fails. I thought about getting as cheap an octo as possible (not saying that's what you're doing) when I started out but decided to go with the ATX50. Keep in mind that if you plan on diving cold etc. your octo should match your primary's performance in that respect.
Just my 2 cents.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom