Gear Dilemma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No advice from me other than you'll be happy with the Balance and the Suunto computer. I will say I bought my gear from my local LDS and you seem to be about 4-500 over what I paid !

PePaw:
No advice from me other than you'll be happy with the Balance and the Suunto computer. I will say I bought my gear from my local LDS and you seem to be about 4-500 over what I paid !

My 0.02. I am generally an advocate of an LDS approach, because of advice and support, even when they a a bit more expensive than on-line outlets, etc. Others may differ, this has worked very well for me. I am also an advocate of initial rental of the more expensive pieces (reg, BC, gauges), while you try different models / brands, AND explore various sources to get a feel for appropriate prices for the items you decide on. That allows you to more effectively 'discuss' the prices with your LDS when you are ready to buy.

If you haven't already done so, think about spending initial money on a good, well-fitting exposure suit, a simple mask, and fins (if your follow some of the SB equipment threads, you will probably end up with a low volume, non-purge, black-skirtted mask, and non-split black fins). Then you are somewhat portable - you can rent the other items as you need them until purchase time.

Two other thoughts about initial gear - my personal preferences, certainly. 1) The first 'big' purchase I made was my reg, and have never regretted spending a little more for a good, easy-breathing, mid-range Zeagle reg, appropriate for warm and cold water. My next purchase was a good BC (a back-inflate, BTW). 2) Only after a year of diving did I think about investing in a computer - a cheap water-resistant watch worked wel for my early diving. Go slow, investigate and evaluate (as you are doing by posting to begin with), and you should end up with gear that you feel most comfortable with.

I think 1600 would be an exellent price with the cobra/sk7, not with the CB-3 set, that should be around 3-400$ cheaper. Maybe shop around for regs on internet, they sometimes go to 30-40 under MSRP, just check if they're official dealers to avoid grey market purchases.

I agree that the pricing seems high. I paid about $1600 Cdn. for a Transpac with wing and an XTX200 with Egress Octo. Both of those are typically more expensive than either the BCD or reg set you are looking at and when you add in conversion...

As to whether to buy or rent I am skeptical about the value of taking your time to try out different gear because in the year before I bought I was never given an opportunity to rent anything but the most basic jacket style bcs and regs. However, I do think there is some value to waiting to see whether this is a sport you are really going to get into or not before dropping that kind of money.

Mel

I did my OW last June and my AOW three months later, all in rental or loaned gear. After that I decided I was in for the long haul and bought my bc, regs and computer from my local LDS as a package, and got what I think was a great deal. I wanted to wait and be sure I loved the sport enough to invest that kind of money in it, and once invested, that I would use it. I would suggest you wait until you at least get through your OW to be sure this is something you'll continue with. It will also give you more time to save $$ and do more research. This board is terrific for that.

I would say, you should use the gear from the LDS for your check out dive and then rent out your gear and see what you like. When you rent out the gear make sure you check your gear out, this is one thing I am always worried and has actually happen to me. One time I rented out my BC and fortunately I checked it out before taking it out of the store that the bladder in the BC was ruptured.

It is funny how often I hear gears which were "used only 2 dives after OW"... This woman I saw at the dive shop last week brought her brand new regs in to be serviced. "It has never been in water". And she signed up for a refresher class, as she hasn't dove since her OW.

Funny how impulsive we all are... Get the gears, then family life takes over.

I agree with scratchmyback(great name) about the idea of making sure that you love scuba enough to go out and invest in all the equipment.

I've read about what some people call "imaginary divers". Those are people who take a basic course and then maybe a few dives and then are so "hepped up" they go out and spend lots of $$$ and end up never using their equipment. I have a tendency to be impulsive about things like this myself, but I made sure that I had enough interest in the sport as well as being tired (and scared) of renting questionably maintained equipment. I used to find all the gear to be intimidating and cumbersome and decided that having my own gear would help to give me the familiarity that I wanted and needed to have to operate the gear responsibly.

I then had to decide that I was actually willing to haul my own equipment around (which as we all know can be a pain in the ***) but have found it to be worth the effort.

I also agree that this board has been invaluable in helping me to get feedback about different types of equipment. That, as well as reading the various diving publications and reading their equipment ratings. I especially trust "Scuba Diving" for relatively objective analysis and take anything from "Sport Diver" with some measure of skepticism inasmuch as it's part of the PADI organization. Had to say that.

That's just my opinion. I could be wrong :)

Sy

scratchmyback:
I did my OW last June and my AOW three months later, all in rental or loaned gear. After that I decided I was in for the long haul and bought my bc, regs and computer from my local LDS as a package, and got what I think was a great deal. I wanted to wait and be sure I loved the sport enough to invest that kind of money in it, and once invested, that I would use it. I would suggest you wait until you at least get through your OW to be sure this is something you'll continue with. It will also give you more time to save $$ and do more research. This board is terrific for that.

My husband and I had the same dilemma. What tipped the scale is that we realized that we didn't have the desire to maintain equipment. I also didn't want to lug all that equipment on planes and such. We bought the basics: mask, snorkel, fins. At least we're comfortable with those. We also have many hobbies, all of which cost $$$. But the maintenance is what finally convinced me to continue to rent. HTH!

Do you have a scuba club at Ol Miss? If so join it and try out as much different gear as you can in the Pool. That way you can get an idea of what you may like and may not like. I wouldn't go whole hog right off the bat. You need a good mask, fins, and snorkel. Maybe a good comfortable pair of dive boots and a wetsuit depending on where you are diving. I always try to bring my own reg so I put that high up on the priority list.

Try Phil at Divesports (www.divesports.com) he's got good stuff and is within reasonable driving distance for you. Head over our way when we are diving the Madison Quarry or Bluewater and we'll show you our gear and let you try it and explain what we've got, why we've got it, and what we would have rather bought.

AL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom