Gear dependancy and additional training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ZK wrote My, my -- a bit defensive aren't you? Pray tell, when has anyone said that "DIR / GUE" is THE only way to dive for "all types of diving?" Granted that I have not read EVERYTHING written on SB (or anywhere else), but I'm quite sure no one has EVER written that ANY particular style/type of diving is "for all types of diving."

I happen to believe that a HOG rig IS appropriate for recreational divers (as I am) whether they are on a reef, on a wall, wallowing around in silt in "The Office" or in a Cave. For that matter, other than a wing, what do YOU have against the Hog rig?

As my Avatar pic shows I have dived a "minimalist" rig (I confess, I had a T-shirt on but forgive the extra gear) but, so what? Just because you don't like to use a Wing, what does that prove? To me, nothing. Given the choice of diving without a wing in Puget Sound or with one, I'll ALWAYS choose the former -- it is just easier (and probably safer too).

But if you aren't writing about the gear, but to the contrary, the philosophy of "DIR Diving" -- then I do agree with you that it is not appropriate for all types of recreational divers. It is NOT appropriate for a diver who has no desire, nor intention, to practice her skills, to stay current in her diving, nor desirous of learning how to "plan her dive and dive her plan." For that diver, "DIR Diving" would be worthless -- as it is for the diver who has no desire to be part of a buddy team - i.e. the true solo diver. But that doesn't have anything to do with gear, does it?

I'm not defensive about anything. I don't know how you get "defensive" out of me saying DIR is not right for every application. There was a time when the proponents of DIR did say that it was the best style for every type of diving. This was before scubaboard was around. There were other boards that they were on. Actually it was during these times that the BP/W was introduced to the general diving public and Halcyon was born. I remember clearly them berrating people for using anything but 32% or trimix of some mixture, don't know the exact formula. Then they were pushing normoxic trimix because they claimed air was evil and should never be used. I remember all this crystal clear. I don't know what the protocols are now because I don't care. I do my own thing.

And I do dive with a wing. I use a Mach V on my plate.
It depends on the suit I'm wearing and the type of dive and depth planned.
I can dive without one too if I want.

You don't have to be DIR to have good dive skills, plan your dive-dive your plan, and the rest of the stuff you mentioned. People were doing this way before DIR was even crappin in their diapers.
The gear configurations and restrictions are what I was refering to. All the standard stuff required is over the top for the type and style of diving I do and I found all that junk just got in the way. Besides I like to solo dive and that's a felony in the DIR world.

I've scanned through this thread and found something odd; people equate DIR (or tech training in general) primarily with gear selection and configuration. My understanding is that the primary emphasis of tech training is increased skill; like much higher standards for buoyancy control, gas management, and buddy awareness than those of the recreational agencies. I think the gear is a side issue. It's true that many heated discussions on SB are about gear, but even more heated ones are about skill standards.

So, to the OP's point about the relevance of tech influences in OW, sure, the gear may not be necessary or appropriate, but the skills and standards associated with tech training are appropriate for all diving.

I've scanned through this thread and found something odd; people equate DIR (or tech training in general) primarily with gear selection and configuration. My understanding is that the primary emphasis of tech training is increased skill; like much higher standards for buoyancy control, gas management, and buddy awareness than those of the recreational agencies. I think the gear is a side issue. It's true that many heated discussions on SB are about gear, but even more heated ones are about skill standards.

Yay! Somebody gets it!

I've watched a LOT of divers start out with Jacket style BC's, then purchase BP/W's, and announce that BP/W's have fixed their trim.

The reality is that had they just moved weight around, they would have achieved similar results using the Jacket Style BC. So IMO it is more a matter of training. Rather than applying their training to adjust their weight, they purchase a solution to spread the weight out for them. Then they assume that it was bad equipment vs. poor practices on their behalf.

Certainly well designed gear is an advantage. However people are quick to blame gear and other factors for their mistakes rather than putting some thought or training into the mix to improve the problem. Case in point, the DM's in Cozumel all had ratty beat up Jacket style BC's. That did not prevent them from achieving perfect trim, launching SMB's from 80' without movement, or sipping air.

RonFrank-
I completely agree with your post above. I have seen a lot of people spend a lot of money trying to fix what amounts to a skill problem (ironically, I hear that phrase most often in the DIR forum.)

ZKY-
I've never dove in a kelp forest. What are your complaints exactly about a Hog configuration on these sorts of dives? Almost every other recreational BC setup is more "dangly" than a properly fitted Hog rig. I'm not sure I get it...

Tom

I've watched a LOT of divers start out with Jacket style BC's, then purchase BP/W's, and announce that BP/W's have fixed their trim.

The reality is that had they just moved weight around, they would have achieved similar results using the Jacket Style BC. So IMO it is more a matter of training. Rather than applying their training to adjust their weight, they purchase a solution to spread the weight out for them. Then they assume that it was bad equipment vs. poor practices on their behalf.

Certainly well designed gear is an advantage. However people are quick to blame gear and other factors for their mistakes rather than putting some thought or training into the mix to improve the problem. Case in point, the DM's in Cozumel all had ratty beat up Jacket style BC's. That did not prevent them from achieving perfect trim, launching SMB's from 80' without movement, or sipping air.

Some of the Cozumel DMs I have encountered had holes in their BC which were totally non functional and they simply used them as a place to mount their tanks not having anything better at their disposal.
N

I was following this thread and decided to put in my observations.

I have not bought much 'new' gear in a long time. The last gear purchases are to replace failing or unservicable gear. My last 'change" was ten years ago when I switched to full foot fins as I did not seem to find the booties and open heel necessary anymore.

I do remember starting out wanting all kinds of gear that I just thought I needed. Well, what I dive with now is what I need. Everything else is just taking up space in storage. I would like to assume the competent divers on this board are the same way. Seems it is not the DIR guys (I am not DIR) that need to be defensive on this thread but rather the individuals (hopefully they know who they are) regardless of gear configuration that are solving ( enhancement is different) fundamental skills with gear.

The right gear with the right skills. This gear will be most helpful to those who might realize after reading this thread that they have the right gear with the wrong skills.

I am happy with my gear and if the guy next to me on the boat is happy with his gear then we can enjoy the dive.

The "best" gear is the one you have on. The one in the LDS waiting for you to buy it is just "nicer".

"This is my rifle. There are many others like it but this one is mine"

Oh now Ozzi, don't go trying to interject common sense into what could otherwise be a perfectly good polarized arguement :no:
Let's forget the facts and get back to unshakable personal opinions!!!

I've scanned through this thread and found something odd; people equate DIR (or tech training in general) primarily with gear selection and configuration. My understanding is that the primary emphasis of tech training is increased skill; like much higher standards for buoyancy control, gas management, and buddy awareness than those of the recreational agencies. I think the gear is a side issue.

I would take that one step further. To me, DIR seems to be an approach to diving that starts between the ears. Gear choices are only one small external extension of that process.

I also suspect that the thunder and lighting this subject always seems to raise says more about us as people than it says about the concept.

Dan

Back
Top Bottom