Gear dependancy and additional training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm sure you guys are sick of me by now but I have to put in my two cents, I can't help it.

The thing about DIR / GUE not being appropriate for all types of diving I think is very true.
I used to be all DIR'd out when I was getting into Tech. Part of the thing with DIR is that they dive the same configuration all the time so it becomes automatic and any problems can be solved just about in their sleep. This is a great philosophy but unfortunately their configuration sucks where I dive. For Florida caves and deep wrecks yeah, but rough entries and exits combined with pounding surf, currents and kelp that likes to wrap around everything it's not so good. So DIR, unlike what they will tell you, is not the answer for everything. It's also not the answer for a couple or family that just want's to get wet in the caribean and have fun. Regular BC's and split fins work great for this and that is the perfect market for that stuff.
And as far as skills in those tropical destinations, so what if the gear does some of the work for them. It's not like they're hard core divers or anything. They just want to have fun. They don't go particularly deep and in most cases have a DM somewhere around them keeping an eye open. They probably only get 20 dives a year and are perfectly happy with how they dive. They don't know any different and don't care. They just want to see pretty fishes then get a tan on the beach. Absolutely nothing wrong with that and in some ways I envy them.

As far as someone getting a cert in one of those tropical locations then coming up to dive where I dive, then we have a problem. That's where gear dependancy and poor skills will get you in trouble.
I found the easiest way to deal with the elements and ease the feeling of being smothered by gear was to get rid of as much crap as possible.

I hate to broken record here, but one way to get your skills to the top is to strip your configuration to the bone and actually retrain yourself in reverse. Starting from scratch with only a backpack is about the best way I know how of getting your buoyancy skills pristine. Everything at that point depends on pure skill because there is no BC to "hold" you and the tank in a certain attitude. I don't care if you're using a BP/W and you think your diving has improved 400%, take off that wing and the naked truth will come out instantly.
When using just a pack it's automatic that you learn about weightiing, buoyancy, trim, body positioning, finning, streamlining, because it's all you. There is no "device" to help you. There would be no way to pull off a dive until these things are learned.
Once the skills are honed diving minimalist then one can start adding back the stuff they want, but the underlying skill level and knowledge will be firmly embedded in your memory and excellent diving skills will be automatic.
Minimalist diving is a great learning tool even if someone doesn't plan to dive minimalist later.

Sorry about the long winded post.

This goes back to what i wrote in ZKX's "Mentoring a new diver the minimalist way" thread, that the first part of training in the pool should be without the BC. Once the student learns buoyancy and trim then the BC can be added.

ZK wrote
The thing about DIR / GUE not being appropriate for all types of diving I think is very true.
My, my -- a bit defensive aren't you? Pray tell, when has anyone said that "DIR / GUE" is THE only way to dive for "all types of diving?" Granted that I have not read EVERYTHING written on SB (or anywhere else), but I'm quite sure no one has EVER written that ANY particular style/type of diving is "for all types of diving."

I happen to believe that a HOG rig IS appropriate for recreational divers (as I am) whether they are on a reef, on a wall, wallowing around in silt in "The Office" or in a Cave. For that matter, other than a wing, what do YOU have against the Hog rig?

As my Avatar pic shows I have dived a "minimalist" rig (I confess, I had a T-shirt on but forgive the extra gear) but, so what? Just because you don't like to use a Wing, what does that prove? To me, nothing. Given the choice of diving without a wing in Puget Sound or with one, I'll ALWAYS choose the former -- it is just easier (and probably safer too).

But if you aren't writing about the gear, but to the contrary, the philosophy of "DIR Diving" -- then I do agree with you that it is not appropriate for all types of recreational divers. It is NOT appropriate for a diver who has no desire, nor intention, to practice her skills, to stay current in her diving, nor desirous of learning how to "plan her dive and dive her plan." For that diver, "DIR Diving" would be worthless -- as it is for the diver who has no desire to be part of a buddy team - i.e. the true solo diver. But that doesn't have anything to do with gear, does it?

ZK wrote My, my -- a bit defensive aren't you? Pray tell, when has anyone said that "DIR / GUE" is THE only way to dive for "all types of diving?" Granted that I have not read EVERYTHING written on SB (or anywhere else), but I'm quite sure no one has EVER written that ANY particular style/type of diving is "for all types of diving."------ But that doesn't have anything to do with gear, does it?

DIR, Do It Right, the acronym says it all so therefore you don't have to.

You know, the Hog concept and it's component parts go back way before the gurus coined the term and claimed it their own invention.

a1602.jpg

02plate.jpg

d0f9_1_sbl.jpg

N, simpler is more zen-er

So it's like suggesting that the folks who enter the Tour de France should be able to perform as well on the Schwinn that they sell down at the local bike shop ... otherwise, their performance is based on gear-dependency ...

... got it.

I don't agree ... the more proficient one becomes with skills ... at just about anything ... the more important quality and appropriate selection of gear becomes.

You won't find many professional mechanics who are buying their tools at WalMart. Why is it that they're paying multiple times the price for those Snap-On sockets anyway? Are they just slaves to their gear?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

So it's like suggesting that the folks who enter the Tour de France should be able to perform as well on the Schwinn that they sell down at the local bike shop ... otherwise, their performance is based on gear-dependency ...

... got it.

I don't agree ... the more proficient one becomes with skills ... at just about anything ... the more important quality and appropriate selection of gear becomes.

You won't find many professional mechanics who are buying their tools at WalMart. Why is it that they're paying multiple times the price for those Snap-On sockets anyway? Are they just slaves to their gear?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

In the case of Snap On tools it because Snap On will replace any tool that breaks free so you pay up front for the so called free replacement. Plus Snap On is the tool equivalent to Rolex, a Timex will tell you the time just a accurately as the Rolex but no body brags about their Timex.

Hey! I had one of those in the 70's (At Pac, actually) which is why I still love the BP/W. :eyebrow:

Years ago, I made a dive with Uncle Pug where he used Duct Tape to tape the splits in some split fins together, and he did back kicks just fin with the fins taped. In true UP fashion, I'll let the reader figure out what this infers. :eyebrow:

... got it.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

You are on the right track. A professional demands a higher standard of quality in their gear. However, buying that same gear does not automatically make you a professional.

If a 20 handicap golfer buys the exact same clubs Tiger Woods uses, he's still a 20 handicap, despite his ego and new sticks.

You are on the right track. A professional demands a higher standard of quality in their gear. However, buying that same gear does not automatically make you a professional.

If a 20 handicap golfer buys the exact same clubs Tiger Woods uses, he's still a 20 handicap, despite his ego and new sticks.

15 handicap. Everyone knows titanium adds 5hp.

But it was also stated earlier that "specialized gear can make things easier," and also that good gear can hide skill deficiencies. If the argument is really "dependency", let's allow that better clubs are going to improve your handicap, and if those clubs is allowed by the sanctioning body, that lower handicap is legitimate.

Snap-On rocks, Crapsman if for cave men. N

Back
Top Bottom