Gear check and advice - wall of text haha

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AGNZ

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi everyone,

As the title suggests keen to get a few opinions on the gear I am looking at. Before the gear list here is a little background me, my local area and what has driven some of the choices for better or worse.

Currently living in New Zealand (Wellington) with my main passion being the ocean. It’s quite funny that I have never got my SCUBA licence. That is probably due to having so much fun, Fishing Spearfishing and Free Diving that I never really got around to it! I feel very comfortable in the water and on a good day easily clear 20+ meters on a single breath.

The main reason I am getting into SCUBA is that its another string to the bow when we are out on the boat or adventuring around on holiday. Its also something my wife is keen to get into and having things you can do together is very important to us. I also have many friends who keep asking when I am finally going to bite the bullet and get into SCUBA.

Wellington is a rugged piece of coastline, with variable conditions and strong currents on the Southern Coast (Cook Strait). We are known as the windy city as we sit between the North and South Island of New Zealand and as a result the wind and tide funnel through a narrow gap (39km) connecting the Pacific Ocean and Tasman Sea. The upside is that New Zealand geography is mountainous and as a result opposite coastlines have reasonable shelter from opposing winds.

Surface ocean temperature range from 16-19 Degrees Celsius (61-66f) in Summer and 11-13 (52-55) in Winter. Note that this is surface temperature and as you move further South temperatures decrease and visa versa. New Zealand has great dive spots all around, particularly at the Southern and Northern most points of the Country. Visibility in Wellington can be anything from zero to upwards of 10m on a good day, water clarity is greener than blue most of the time. Apart from exploring the ocean and all its treasures, a big part of my diving will be hunting for Crayfish and Paua (abalone) which can be very tough on gear.

Local Dive shop (at least the one everyone recommends) stocks primarily Aqualung, Dive Rite, Apeks and Oceanic gear from what I have seen. There range of computers does beyond that however for BCDs that seems to be about it. Personally, I am a big fan of sticking with the local community and supporting them as saving a few dollars on EBAY etc doesn’t really mean a whole lot in the long run (that’s just my view).

With that in mind, I have booked myself onto the Open Water and Open Water Advanced PADI courses later this year. The big question now is do I buy my own gear and learn to use it at the same time or just use the rental stuff? Ultimately, I have pretty much decided I am going to get my own gear, just need some reassurance and/or a great reason not to haha.

In terms of gear I have been doing what most people do these days, troll forums, look at online reviews and when it comes to SCUBA completely confuse myself…With that in mind this is where I am leaning.

BCD versus BP/W: Everything I have read seems to point to BP/W being better for a smaller profile and minimising gear in the water, it’s also what my friends who have been doing SCUBA for some time now all recommend. I can also take it traveling if I get a travel backplate at a later date.

Dive Rite Voyager XT Wing

Die Rite Stainless Steel Backplate

Dive Rite Harness

Apeks XTX200/40 ‘or’ Dive Rite XT Advanced package

Shearwater Perdix AI + analog PSG backup

Have I missed anything....

Why this stuff?

If I am going BP/W the only two options my local shop sell are Dive Rite and Apeks. Reading a few reviews both brands seems very good and reliable however the Voyager XT has a little more lift (30 v 35) and is roughly 20% more durable for comparative products (1000 versus 1200D). Extra durability seems good if I am going after Crayfish.

In terms of the regulator I have no idea even after reading countless articles. The only thing I know I need is something than can handle cold water, primarily because we do head down South and the water gets into single digits even in summer.

The computer system is another questionable choice. Its mighty expensive for a new diver, however its one of those things that you buy once learn to use it never look back right? Having read the reviews, the Shearwater Perdix AI seems to be well received and supported by a brass analog backup for pressure and depth seems like a safe combo?

Anyway, this is quickly turning into a wall of text that no one will want to read! If you have any advice, links or just want to say hi it would be much appreciated.

Regards,

A

Sounds like you've done some solid thought and research.

I don't imagine you looking back with regret if you choose a combination of the options you've listed. We'll have our favourite brands and models of course but you'll do very well with what you've listed. It's what your local shops are selling, serving and I presume local divers are also using.

For what you've described I'd think a shearwater is more of a computer than you'll need for basic diving but it is a beautiful, durable and a feature rich design that is very easy to use.

... You'll be needing a substantial wetsuit/drysuit. The extended dive times, breathing cold compressed air, and reduced exertion makes getting chilled easier SCUBA diving.

Meeting and chatting with some local divers might help you sort which shops get your business. I hope most will be selling what they believe is most suitable and simply not the highest profit margin product.

I for one, enjoyed an articulate wall of text. Looking forward to your ongoing forum participation.

Regards,
Cameron

Sounds like you've done some solid thought and research.

I don't imagine you looking back with regret if you choose a combination of the options you've listed. We'll have our favourite brands and models of course but you'll do very well with what you've listed. It's what your local shops are selling, serving and I presume local divers are also using.

For what you've described I'd think a shearwater is more of a computer than you'll need for basic diving but it is a beautiful, durable and a feature rich design that is very easy to use.

... You'll be needing a substantial wetsuit/drysuit. The extended dive times, breathing cold compressed air, and reduced exertion makes getting chilled easier SCUBA diving.

Meeting and chatting with some local divers might help you sort which shops get your business. I hope most will be selling what they believe is most suitable and simply not the highest profit margin product.

I for one, enjoyed an articulate wall of text. Looking forward to your ongoing forum participation.

Regards,
Cameron

Wow thanks for the quick reply!

Currently have a 5mm two piece wetsuit with sealed seems and a built in hood. I have been in fairly cold water and never got the chills, however as you rightfully point out staying at depth for longer than a few minutes is not something I have yet to experience.....I guess I will find out after the first training dive.

The Shearwater adds a huge amount of cost to me gear list, would there be a more balanced option? It unlikely I would be diving deeper than 30m for the next few years at least.

denier size does not correlate to durability, just thickness.

Your choice of BP/W is fine, though I would add a STA to the Dive Rite package for better roll control.

Apeks regs are fine, though I would get XTX50/DST and an XTX50 secondary instead of the 200/40 combo. I would ask that the hoses be run for a primary donate setup similar to the Dive Rite "Advanced OW" setup.

Perdix AI is ideal. while I would choose to purchase a bare SPG, I wouldn't put it on the reg set for the kinds of dives you're doing. Leave it on the boat in case you forget to change the batteries, but I wouldn't worry about leaving it on all the time. Having both without a HP splitter seriously limits your hose routing choices as you now have things sticking out both sides of the first stage

denier size does not correlate to durability, just thickness.

Your choice of BP/W is fine, though I would add a STA to the Dive Rite package for better roll control.

Apeks regs are fine, though I would get XTX50/DST and an XTX50 secondary instead of the 200/40 combo. I would ask that the hoses be run for a primary donate setup similar to the Dive Rite "Advanced OW" setup.

Perdix AI is ideal. while I would choose to purchase a bare SPG, I wouldn't put it on the reg set for the kinds of dives you're doing. Leave it on the boat in case you forget to change the batteries, but I wouldn't worry about leaving it on all the time. Having both without a HP splitter seriously limits your hose routing choices as you now have things sticking out both sides of the first stage

Thanks,

If you have a moment can you explain/link me to something that explains primary donate setup?

if you need to cut some of the cost out, look for a used petrel instead of the perdix ai.

In all honesty, when it comes to stuff that keeps you going underway I prefer to buy brand new. I know its probably all good, but it just makes me feel more comfortable.

Thanks,

If you have a moment can you explain/link me to something that explains primary donate setup?
the configuration explained below. basically you have your "octo" on a necklace and the "primary" that you breathe from normally. In the event of an OOA, you give your buddy the reg from your mouth, and then get the secondary from your neck. It's much more streamlined than the "Traditional" setups, and also much better from a safety standpoint

the configuration explained below. basically you have your "octo" on a necklace and the "primary" that you breathe from normally. In the event of an OOA, you give your buddy the reg from your mouth, and then get the secondary from your neck. It's much more streamlined than the "Traditional" setups, and also much better from a safety standpoint

Gotcha, and thank you

I'd get a XTX50 reg and octo. Breathes just fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom