Gear Before Completing Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My only advice is to get gear that will grow with you. BP/W, back inflate, jacket BCD, whatever, get something that you feel comfortable in and service is readily available. If your LDS has a demo unit of what you are thinking of buying, strap it on and go diving. No review or opinion is better for a buying decision than hands on experience.

When it comes to your regulator set up, make sure that you have AT LEAST 2 HP ports. That will give you expandability later of you choose to get a wireless transmitter and keep an analogue SPG.

There are too many great computers to give you a model that 10 people will agree with is best. However, 10 out of 10 will agree that whatever you get needs to be a Nitrox computer. Odds are that you will dive nitrox (PADI's most popular certification BTW) at some point, and you will need a Nitrox compatible computer.

Lastly, if you plan to move back to Puerto Rico (where I am from too) you may want to stick to the brands that are available in the long lived shops: Mares, Sherwood, Cressi and Scuba Pro that can be serviced locally. There are other great brands like Zeagle, Aqualung, Apex, Atomic ect.. but most of them will have to be sent off for service and you know how much longer things take down there.

Buena Suerte,

-Arturo

Again Thank you all. As of right now I think I'll just buy a decent computer since here in Korea I won't be doing many dives. When I go home for vacation (Puerto Rico) I'll hopefully get a chance to try some stuff out and then decide what I want. I'll continue to do my research of different styles of equipment here on ScubaBoard and hopefully when I reach my still unknown destination after PR Ill know what I want. Thanks for the advice!

I had the same thoughts when starting out a couple of years ago and I am glad I waited for most items. There are so many styles and types of equipment that you may prefer along the way from the type of wetsuit to the type of knife you buy. It is better to get a feel using other's equipment. The first piece I bought was a regulator for the "hygiene" reason you mentioned but even there I wish I had waited a little to buy something else (a bit better). One interesting point I recently discovered is also the type of brands you chose if you travel for diving. Apparently that is an issue if you have a failed piece of equipment or need service. The pros before me brought this up and that is very important. For now stick to purchasing a good mask and fins (which you also may replace later...) Oh and I will wait on the computer too until you have a few dives and decide which style you want (i.e. wrist mounted with integration) vs reg mounted)

I just finished my OW certification over the weekend. I bought my fins and mask during the classes. I thought it helped me be more comfortable since I didn't have to fiddle with them or end up with something that didn't fit right (I have a large foot). That said, my wife went through everything and only bought a mask before we went for our OW dives. For everything else, I think getting to try some different brands/setups on dives will really help clarify what you'll want in your equipment. For myself, just trying on some different BCs, dive computers, etc. has been educational as to what some of the different features mean in a practical setting.

I bought all my own gear immediately after certification. One, it prompts me to dive and two, I just feel better using my own equipment. I actually like methodically packing it up, double checking zip ties, bolts, hoses, etc., I find that stuff comforting. As far as the BCD goes, I originally purchased and Oceanic Cruz BCD, very well made, but there is a few things I found I wasn't happy with. I lost some weight and it fit a little loose with the straps cranked down and that was my justification for a steel plate and wing (after I tried a buddies). They are really comfortable in the water and very modular (you might want a cannister light or some photography gear later on) and with the harness/plate you can find a descent way to secure everything. After I slapped some pockets on my wetsuit, went to a long hose and necklace for the alternate, I was finally happy with my gear. Wish I would have started out that way two years ago. When it comes to your regulators I get the idea most of them are decent and you'll want to get something you can easily get serviced locally.

OP, your thread is very common on this board, so Welcome to you! There are a lot of gear snobs on this board, so you'll have to read, read and read some more to get a good handle on just what is wheat and what is chaff for you. That's where this site is worth gold, but remember that free advice is worth what you pay for it.

That said, I bought my gear after OW, but I would highly recommend you rent what you want first. I bought a back inflate but dove it and the typical jacket rental in training first. Its too easy to have the excitement of diving cloud your judgement on buying (or leaping) before you look. Don't do that. Someone before posted that your experience with gear is the best advice you can get. That is so true. And let your LDS help you. That's what they make their reputation on. Maybe go to several and shop around, then come back here and ask the questions. Its a guarantee that someone is diving what you are looking at - probably hundreds of folks right here who will tell you the good and bad. You'll dive more if you are happy in your gear, but you'll hate yourself if you don't do your due diligence and spend your money twice. And then you won't dive as much because you'll start counting pennies instead.

My only advice is to get gear that will grow with you. BP/W, back inflate, jacket BCD, whatever, get something that you feel comfortable in and service is readily available. If your LDS has a demo unit of what you are thinking of buying, strap it on and go diving. No review or opinion is better for a buying decision than hands on experience.

When it comes to your regulator set up, make sure that you have AT LEAST 2 HP ports. That will give you expandability later of you choose to get a wireless transmitter and keep an analogue SPG.

There are too many great computers to give you a model that 10 people will agree with is best. However, 10 out of 10 will agree that whatever you get needs to be a Nitrox computer. Odds are that you will dive nitrox (PADI's most popular certification BTW) at some point, and you will need a Nitrox compatible computer.

Lastly, if you plan to move back to Puerto Rico (where I am from too) you may want to stick to the brands that are available in the long lived shops: Mares, Sherwood, Cressi and Scuba Pro that can be serviced locally. There are other great brands like Zeagle, Aqualung, Apex, Atomic ect.. but most of them will have to be sent off for service and you know how much longer things take down there.

Buena Suerte,

-Arturo

Ekthor and Easdem:

When you go to Puerto Rico I suggest to rent gear from the shops there and see what best suits you. I know several shop operators in the west side of the island ( I am from Sabana Grande PR) I agree w Easdem get brands that can be service there. When I bought my equipment in 1987 I purchased all Scuba Pro form The Dive Shop-PR in Mayaguez.(The Dive Shop Puerto Rico) after I rented everything he had. At the time DACOR was the stuff that was in...now DACOR is gone purchased by MARES...SCUBA PRO is still in..I always taken my equipment back to Papo Braulio for service and even after I joined the miltary and move to the mainland I would either take it with me on a home vacation to the island or ship it to Papo for service...Even after 20+ years the reg is working perfect...PM is you have any questions and

Buena Suerte Tambien!!!

Gino

1) The distance I'm sure I'll go, it's just that before I didn't have the money, that's the sole reason I didn't start earlier. I really like the ocean and the whole exploring a foreign world.

First of all, you don't even know if you will pass the OW class. Sure, 99% of the people passes the class but there's always that negative statistics. One of my OW classmates did better than the rest of us in the pool but when she jumped into the ocean for the first time with all the gears on, she said, "This is not for me." After resting for several hours, she jumped in again at the encouragement of the instructor and her classmate, "Nope, this definitely isn't for me." You don't know until you try.

2) Being Bright enough is a good question. As far as research I think I can kind of sort of make a good educated decision; however, although my LDS is as helpful as can be he doesn't have much gear to try out since he orders most stuff online.

Research is great, but true experience beats an educated guess any time. How do you even know if a BC or a regulator is what you want until you have had a few dives under your belt?

The whole customization is what has me going towards a BPW. I don't want to buy a good back inflate, or jacket bcd to then realize that I needed something else and have to start buying all over. With a BPW I have to option to have it evolve with my diving career.

Once again, you're already assuming that you'd love diving. Wait until you find out for sure. Then dive some until you know what you really want to do. When I started out, I thought that I was going go through all the badass technical diving and all that jazz. Now, 300+ dives later, I realized that all I want to do right now is good old fashion rec diving.

Again Thank you all. As of right now I think I'll just buy a decent computer since here in Korea I won't be doing many dives. When I go home for vacation (Puerto Rico) I'll hopefully get a chance to try some stuff out and then decide what I want. I'll continue to do my research of different styles of equipment here on ScubaBoard and hopefully when I reach my still unknown destination after PR Ill know what I want. Thanks for the advice!

Korea is surrounded by water, so why wouldn't you take advantage of it? Assuming that you pass the OW class and wanted to dive, that is.

Hi Ekthor,

Welcome to the world of Scuba!

There are several reason to own your own gear, and it sounds like you've experienced most of them. Most dive shops do their best to keep their rental locker well serviced, however, this gear gets a lot of use and abuse. Some people that rent equipment don't treat it as their own. It comes back banged up, unwashed and full of sand. That takes a toll on the gear.

When you own your own gear, you know where it's been and how it's been treated. You know that it has been serviced and well maintained.

It sounds like you have found your inner fish and will be joining the ranks of underwater lovers. Therefore, I don't see any reason NOT to buy your own gear. In fact, now, while you are under the supervision of an instructor, is a good time to try out your new gear.

As far as back inflate BC recommendations... BP&W's are nice because most are modular. You can use use a web harness or a full harness (more comfortable). You can choose different bladders and backplates based on the type of diving you are doing. It is something that can grow with you as a diver. I personally like the Apeks WTX line: Apeks Scuba BCD, Apeks Scuba Diving BC, Scuba BC, Buoyancy Compensator , but there are many other options out there.

Back Inflate BCD's are nice because it is all in one package. You buy it, take it out of the box, and go diving...easy. If you go BCD, I would suggest you base your purchase on the type of diving you will do most. If you plan on only diving when you travel, go for a travel friends style such as Aqua Lung Zuma (Aqua Lung SeaQuest Zuma Travel Scuba BC 314310 with reviews at scuba.com) or SCUBAPRO LiteHawk Travel BC (ScubaPro LiteHawk Travel BC 22.120.151 with reviews at scuba.com). These are great when you are packing for a trip, but aren't as comfortable as the non-travel BCD's.

If you are going to do more local diving, then go for something that is more comfortable. There are so many out there (Scuba diving gear Buoyancy Compensators Back Inflation at Scuba.com), so the best thing to do is try a few out.

Have fun!
Cheers,

I am a very novice diver (9 dives) who bought the gear after the OW certification. I'd say you need some minimal experience - such as I felt the unbalancedrental 2nd stage was difficult to breathe at 20m-> I bought a balanced kit. Also, plenty of reading here, research on ebay brought me to decide for each piece.I even got some nice Vintage gear (Scubapro MK5 + the shiny r109) which I am rebuilding myself using repair kits from ebay and vdh (Vintage Scuba - Vintage Scuba Gear at Vintage Double Hose).Long story short: I like gear and I wanted my own. Just my 2psi, that one needs some real life experience to know what to buy, otherwise the nice/expensive new gear ends up on ebay pretty quickly...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom