Gear Before Completing Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

(It's including in the class price regardless)

If gear rental is included in the price of the class (as mine was also) you'd be stupid not to use their gear. Why? Because it gives you an idea of how that kind of gear (whatever it is) works. Its a baseline for your final purchase choice. Besides, you may find you like what they are using. No matter what everyone on this board says, and there are a lot of gear snobs on this board, you and only you have to try it and like it first and foremost. Don't go by word of mouth only. There is nothing wrong with any of the gear that exists today. It all has its pros and cons. You can take a 4x4 duelly to the track and slalom it, but it just isn't a Corvette. Similarly you can tow a 10000lb boat with a Ferrari, but it just isn't a SuperDutyF350.

A backplate and wing will carry you through your whole SCUBA experience, OW through the highest level tec-rebreather-cave course.

I started with a Hollis solo harness, HOG SS BP, and Hog 32 lb wing, with some Dive Rite cam straps. I regret not getting a traditional webbing harness.

If gear rental is included in the price of the class (as mine was also) you'd be stupid not to use their gear. Why? Because it gives you an idea of how that kind of gear (whatever it is) works. Its a baseline for your final purchase choice. Besides, you may find you like what they are using. No matter what everyone on this board says, and there are a lot of gear snobs on this board, you and only you have to try it and like it first and foremost. Don't go by word of mouth only. There is nothing wrong with any of the gear that exists today. It all has its pros and cons. You can take a 4x4 duelly to the track and slalom it, but it just isn't a Corvette. Similarly you can tow a 10000lb boat with a Ferrari, but it just isn't a SuperDutyF350.

It would be very stupid indeed; however, I have already tried their gear and as posted before had more issues that I would've liked. they only have jacked BCDs and although I haven't tried anything else I can't Imagine anything being that constricting. I do get your point of using as a baseline for my final purchase and that's why I want to buy something else. What I tried sucked.

A backplate and wing will carry you through your whole SCUBA experience, OW through the highest level tec-rebreather-cave course.

I started with a Hollis solo harness, HOG SS BP, and Hog 32 lb wing, with some Dive Rite cam straps. I regret not getting a traditional webbing harness

Right now Im looking at a lite monkey simple harness, hog SS BP, DIVE RITE cam straps, and a 28 pound wing. I'm pretty much convinced on doing thing however I like to analyze all the counter arguments just in case.

Id suggest if you dont want rental, buy 2nd gear on ebay and get regs/bcd serviced at your lds. You should be able to resell the stuff for same or more later if you decide against scuba after OW dives.

And if you DO like scuba after OW, then you can either (1) sell old to subsidise as you buy new and/or (2) keep parts as backups as you buy new.

Id suggest if you dont want rental, buy 2nd gear on ebay and get regs/bcd serviced at your lds. You should be able to resell the stuff for same or more later if you decide against scuba after OW dives.

And if you DO like scuba after OW, then you can either (1) sell old to subsidise as you buy new and/or (2) keep parts as you buy new as backups.

Thanks! however I already bought everything, the only thing I need to get is a BCD. My reasoning for buying personal gear (mask, snorkel, fins, boots)is, well it's personal gear. Wetsuit, I don't enjoy the though of other people peeing in a wetsuit im using. Computer, I'm paranoid so having something that helps me keep tracks of my limits is a must for me. Regulators, same paranoia. BCD, might as well buy it after buying everything else but can't decide what to do.

---------- Post added April 26th, 2013 at 01:21 PM ----------

As suggested by scuba andy and after not being able to decide between bpw and back inflate I decided for an "inbetween". I bought an used Transpac with a REC wing from northeastern scuba.

... I don't want to pay $40 rental per dive and 10 dives later be like "I've spent 400 dollars - A BCD can cost 400 dollars - I am retarded :) ) ...

Definitely agreed. Over here in Europe, I'd pay between 20-30€ for full equipment (+5€ for computer)/day and I plan around 20 days/40dives this year. On the other hand, gear has to be transported, you might pay 50€ extra on additional air freight each trip. - Luckily I have a few options I can reach by car and flying my gear only once this year. Everything taken into account, in three years/100-120 dives I'll profit on my ~1000€ worth of equipment.

If gear rental is included in the price of the class (as mine was also) you'd be stupid not to use their gear.

True. Your own gear gets worn with each dive and demands maintenance earlier.

No matter what everyone on this board says, and there are a lot of gear snobs on this board, you and only you have to try it and like it first and foremost. Don't go by word of mouth only. There is nothing wrong with any of the gear that exists today. It all has its pros and cons. You can take a 4x4 duelly to the track and slalom it, but it just isn't a Corvette. Similarly you can tow a 10000lb boat with a Ferrari, but it just isn't a SuperDutyF350.

Sitting in front of the computer, reading tests on pro gear and marketing B/S#t and judging on gearaholichs posts will cost you a lot. Some people say you are nobody if you haven't spent a fortune on a fancy regulator, trimix computer, drysuit, full-frame DSLR rig, etc... Just pushing people haven't even received their OWD and saw scuba gear once or twice in their lifetimes.

I do get your point of using as a baseline for my final purchase and that's why I want to buy something else. What I tried sucked.

Right now Im looking at a lite monkey simple harness, hog SS BP, DIVE RITE cam straps, and a 28 pound wing. I'm pretty much convinced on doing thing however I like to analyze all the counter arguments just in case.

Well it looks to me like you are on the right track, have a good plan, are executing it appropriately and will do fine. You're initial purchases will serve you well for at least the first 5 yrs, maybe forever, and what more can you want? I said before, there is no bad gear out there (like maybe in the 70's or 80's, I've heard, not experienced).

So my advice to you then is when you get the rest of your gear, dive it a while, and come on back here and report what you have found out - for the next person who finds themselves in your position. There are new people starting everyday, and its fun how common the common questions are. Besides, I might want to try a monkey based on what you say! Good luck!:D

Back
Top Bottom